all posts post new thread

Old Forum OLAD and easy endurance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rigor Mortis

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello.

Last three months I have done "base training". Every other day ES type total body strength workout and every other day easy endurance, nasal breathing jog/walk, with occasional rest day.

My goals are still to build general strength and general endurance. So I`m Q3 (regular LEO) and training to become Q2 (tactical team, in my case) athlete someday.

Problem which has occurred with the current plan:

Long workshifts and random work excercises (grappling, shooting range etc.) tend to make me so tired that even low volume whole body workout feels too tough to do most days.

So, I have been thinking about one Pavel`s recommendation about Dan`s one lift a day plan:

monday  FSQ

tuesday  pullups

wednesday BP

thursday  rest

friday  DL

saturday  C&P (with circus db in my case)

sunday rest

This would be done mostly 5x5 manner with easy endurance training (walk/jog, swim or ruck) 2-3 times a week. And mobility and active recovery work done depending on how much time and energy I have.

For me it seems that eg. 3months of this would develop the needed all around strength and a little bit of endurance also. But what do SF people think?

Is this way to go or is this just a fuckarounditis?

Well, if you're going to do OLAD, I would do the actual program, with the recommended sets and reps. A round of it would probably be good, but several months of it is probably not sustainable. Another option given what you describe (and designed for operators) would be the 3-5 or 5 x 5 x 5 plans from BBB.

Easy endurance would probably (probably!) fit with any of the above. Do you have any PT tests you need to pass in the near-ish future?

To the OP:

I'd start by taking a week off - you need to be fully recovered.  Take two weeks if you need, longer if you're really burned out.

At that point, I'd include your "random work exercises" into your training plan - they're part of what you do, and you need to accommodate them as you plan your next lifting cycle.   If you can't plan for them specifically, at least plan your work load according to the approximate amount of them you expect to see.

E.g., if the "random" exercises don't happen every day, then consider a training plan that says you don't do anything else on the days your have exercise at work - or something like that.  If the exercise at work has an end in sight, then plan a training cycle for now and know that you'll try to do something else (likely more structured) when your work exercise requirements are lower.

There's no magic formula here, just applying common sense.  If what you do at work is really demanding, then maybe you practice S&S on days when you feel fresh enough to do so and leave it at that.

Don't forget - see the big picture, and don't create a training plan that doesn't consider your job and the rest of your life.

Hope that helps.

-S-

Thanks guys!

Jason, I have 2 mile timed run on next week, but after that it's almost 6 months until there comes new run, bp and sq/dl max rep test, and calisthenics tests.

After rereading about original rep scheme of OLAD and reviews about it, I noticed it would probably cause a bit too much soreness and fatigue.

5x5x5 has been on my mind, but it doesn't feel practical idea right now because of the frequency and my work schedule. But how did I forgot "3 to 5 method"?! Thanks for the reminder! :)

Steve, by random I meant like unpredictable.

S&S would probably be good choice. However I prefer to stay with barbells and db, because actually I have easier access to those and personally like them more.

More rest is probably what I need at the moment, true.

After thinking about your comments and rereading BB a bit, I found this template from the book:

Monday  SQ, BP
Wednesday  DL
Friday  SQ, BP

Monday  BP, DL
Wednesday SQ
Friday  BP, DL

I would alternate SQ with FSQ and add pullups for Wednesdays and choose one grip or neck or core movement to every workout in 3 to 5 manner, if my schedule and energy level allows it on given day.  And ~2 easy endurance sessions a week.

My upperbody pulling strength is better than pushing strength (eg. one arm chin but no one arm push up), so this would suit that need also.

So minimal excercise selection and no variations at first, and in "3 to 5 method" would be also more room for unpredictable changes like adding rest days every now and then.

What do you think about that? Or any other suggestions?

Hm, if they're testing you on max reps for squat/bench/dead, then it sounds like 5/3/1 would be a great choice, since it's focused on rep maxes. Any of the other things you mentioned sound reasonable as well though; it sounds like you're on the right track.

How did you get to the one arm chin? That's a great achievement!

Andrew, I checked "total package template" also, thanks for reminding about it. However, I think that I need mainly two things: relatively heavy grind lifts and easy jogs. And in that template there is also high rep ballistics type conditioning, which I can`t do now, because of my sloppy recovery.

Jason, thanks. Somehow for me, chinups and pistols have always been relatively easy, but my posterior chain and upperbody pushing strength suck.

I trained for OAC by doing weighted chins/pullups and easier progressions of OAC (eg. "helping arm" gripping the bar only with one finger.) both about once a week on different days.

Steve, exercises in work which I meant, don`t happen daily, more like twice a week.

It`s probably best idea that on those kind of days I just skip the planned training.

However, today I noticed again that I really want some "punch the clock" strength workout, which I don`t need to think about, just do it. For endurance it`s mostly jog/walk with ~120HR and nasal breathing, but for strength I haven`t figured it out yet and this is what happens when I don`t have plan and not full energy levels:

Today: A few sets of low rep  muscleups, pistols, pullups on door frame and "jack lalanne planks". And a few medicine ball throws in the end. Duration: ~45mins.

So I freestyle something with ES guidelines. Nothing wrong with freestyling every now and then, but the more strict basic plan would be nice to have most of the time.

S&S excluded, what would be your suggestion for "punch the clock" strength work?

RM, do easy jogs on the conditioning days instead of kb ballistics. I have done exactly that in the past and it seemed to work well. Also, instead of skipping days when you have exercises at work, move the planned training to the day before or after. Small adjustments to programs to fit your needs are acceptable.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom