all posts post new thread

Bodyweight One-Arm Push-up on fists

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikhael

Level 9 Valued Member
Hi,
I'm wondering if some of you are doing OAPU on Fists, and if how do you correct body position during negative phase?
My form is far from good, and noticed that my body is twisting during mentioned phase. I don't if lack of strength, or tension is an issue?

Hello @mikhael

Do you twist (meaning a rotation of the trunk, roughly going from hips to shoulders) or do you bend (meaning your hips lean to the right in the case of a OAP on your right fist) ?

If by "twist", you mean "bend", you can partially fix this by slightly rotating your fist outwards (as if it was your open palm).

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' It's more a bend. From starting position when I'm lowering the body my hips are going to the same side as my working arm. Thus, in the end my body looks like a big letter C.

Hello @mikhael

You can perform the OAP is a very wide foot stance. That way, you'll bend less. As time goes by, you'll get stronger (especially at core level). So you'll can use a progressively narrower stance. But bare in mind that a slight bend is normal in all cases ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I plan to do them on my fists, because my left wrist can not bend.
I have seen it done before, but it is rare.
At the moment i am in my first run of Naked Warrior.
Lets see.

I don’t know if this is going to answer your question but I will share my experience.

I have started GTG almost 3 months ago with regular push ups (my regular push max was 12). Then I have moved to One Arm Push Up on counter top, I was feeling that rotation and was not stable at all! I was really a bit shaken cause I thought to get strong enough might take very long, but in a very short period, I became stable (I used full body tension hardstyle as much as I can)

My next progression availability at home was quite difficult for me so I have decided to do one arm, one leg counter top.

The first few days, the twist was so bad that, I said I will not be able to correct this.

But booom! I have became stable very quickly.

So my guess, at least in my case, my nervous system was not used to rotation and was not able to fire muscles. Once my nervous system “understood” what should be done, stabilization came very fast.

I am writing this to encourage you.

My stabilization of the twist came very quickly relative to any other strength skill. For example, I have tried sternum chinup for some time, and failed to improve quickly(now did not give up, but working on hangs and hang drills, gtg style I will come back to that one again)

Full body tension and a bit of patience worked for me.

GTG also clearly made my joints stronger and my joints feel much better. I don’t go in to a lot detail, because it might be bad example for some, cause I haven’t follow health recommendations. But bottom line, my joints became pain free and stronger clearly as a result of GTG.

Last edited:
@Ege So,you suggest to GTG OAPU, use full body HS tension, and just wait until CNS figures out what is all about?

@Mark Limbaga Working on it

Yes that worked for me but you also might need a regression to your current level.

While GTG’ing I am trying to use an elevation/progression that I can do 6 - 10 TRM and I use half of that rep count as my working sets.

If your current level is very challenging for you, it might also be a big reason of the form issues.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom