all posts post new thread

Bodyweight One Armed Push up regressions

Simon L

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I've been working on my push ups via GTG for a number of months now. my regular push ups have improved enormously, my form and tightness has got so much better and the movement feels a lot smoother. I can knock out around 30 regular push ups in a row with solid form fairly comfortably.

I'm keen to progress to one armed push ups but struggling to find a good regression as I can only do one fairly ugly rep each side. I've tried elevating using my staircase but it's not felt good. The steps feel like they get in the way and I'm struggling to get enough tension and rigidity in my body.

Any other suggestions for regressing the one arm push up or working towards it?

Cheers!

If you can find a way to rig it (easy if you have a rack), this is a good progression:

Try doing the set up and reps from your knees. This still requires a strong stance but it is easy enough to focus on your form.

Hola!

I encourage you to reconsider the elevated version as the main progression toward the ground. This version usually lacks success because you aren't bracing with the intensity you should. With the lack of an external load to cue you to get tight, you don't, thus missing out on the benefits. This is why body weight is the most challenging skill to master because the tension must be generated by you alone.
A common mistake with the elevated version is a poor angle on the box or bench. Tilt the item towards you, so there is a slight angle you can lean into. I know Fabio has used full-on plywood decks placed against a barbell in a power rack where you can continue to lower the angle as you progress.

Adios,
Espero queue te ayude.

You could look at this program A 6-Week Program to Master the OA/OAOL Push-up | StrongFirst I managed the relevant Easy/Medium/Difficult heights with the following
1. an adjustable seat on a stationary bicycle machine.
2. A wooden plank inclined on the bicycle seat allowed for infinite variation in height, its possible to adjust the orientation of the plank off to one side so it does not "get in the way of your pushup" like the steps do
3. Miscellaneous furniture around the house with convenient heights

You said you can do 1 ugly one each side - how about trying to do them off your knees instead of off your toes ? Would be a bit easier and possible to get more reps.

I've been working on my push ups via GTG for a number of months now. my regular push ups have improved enormously, my form and tightness has got so much better and the movement feels a lot smoother. I can knock out around 30 regular push ups in a row with solid form fairly comfortably.

I'm keen to progress to one armed push ups but struggling to find a good regression as I can only do one fairly ugly rep each side. I've tried elevating using my staircase but it's not felt good. The steps feel like they get in the way and I'm struggling to get enough tension and rigidity in my body.

Any other suggestions for regressing the one arm push up or working towards it?

Cheers!
Have you worked up to elevating your feet for pushups? Dips??

Some crawling and advance planks (crawl plank) also lay the foundation for the OAP

Over on r/bodyweightfitness a LOT of people have gotten the OAP without ever training it. Instead, they focus on pseudo planche push-ups and naturally end up capable of doing OAPs.

So if I were you, I would do two types of training:

1. OAP regressions for tension, stability and technique.

2. Pseudo planche push-up progressions for raw, brute strength.

Blasphemy or not, the progression steps in "Convict Conditioning" are good stuff when it comes to this in my experience.
Using a kettlebell or basketball to support the non-working arm less and less is a good way to train the necessary tension.

@Anna C Which feels better for your feet please?

About equal for feet. Comparing those two, the plywood was easier and I was using it for volume day, 5x5 each side. The jerk blocks were much harder and I was using it for heavy singles day. I was using a custom program from @Karen Smith.

Tips for feet:
  • place them shoulder-width to width to 2x shoulder width apart
  • make sure they are active and have tension, basically are straight up, not flopping to one side or the other throughout the movement
  • push weight into them; body pushing back towards heels, but feet still active

Thanks all so much for all your input and suggestions.

Yes it seems elevating onto a flat surface is causing issues, it feels awkward and natural, have to think if I have a way to create an incline...

Tried a few slow negatives with 10 second pause at the bottom which feels challenging but doable. It's on the way up when it all falls apart!

Have looked into pseudo planche and that may be a good regular push up progression to plug into GTG for a bit.

I've struggled to get a good angle for a video, but I can immediately see my scapula winging. I suspect scapula strength and stability a key culprit here!!

Also, Anna I hear your voice in my head every time I swing a 16kg kettlebell. No bueno! ROFL

I've struggled to get a good angle for a video, but I can immediately see my scapula winging. I suspect scapula strength and stability a key culprit here!!
Those look pretty good! You do a better job in the 2nd video (right) of tucking the pelvis. That's a key part of the whole-body tension and is missing on the left. I use the power breathing (Tsss, tsss, tsss!!) to get tight, really lock down the lat, tuck the pelvis, and tighten the abs, then go.

You mentioned GTG so not sure if you're following other programming, but I had good success with a volume day (5x5 at easier elevation -- probably kitchen counter height or so, perfect form), a medium day with 3 sets of 5 at a moderate challenge but where you can do good form (not much lower than your volume day height), and then a heavy singles day that is as challenging a height as you can currently do with good form, maybe 5 singles total each side.

Also, Anna I hear your voice in my head every time I swing a 16kg kettlebell. No bueno! ROFL
ROFL

Those look pretty good! You do a better job in the 2nd video (right) of tucking the pelvis. That's a key part of the whole-body tension and is missing on the left. I use the power breathing (Tsss, tsss, tsss!!) to get tight, really lock down the lat, tuck the pelvis, and tighten the abs, then go.

You mentioned GTG so not sure if you're following other programming, but I had good success with a volume day (5x5 at easier elevation -- probably kitchen counter height or so, perfect form), a medium day with 3 sets of 5 at a moderate challenge but where you can do good form (not much lower than your volume day height), and then a heavy singles day that is as challenging a height as you can currently do with good form, maybe 5 singles total each side.

ROFL
Thanks! There are so many components to getting the tension and tightness down, it's almost too much to think about right now. I feel I need to work on one step at a time to begin to piece it all together.

I'm wondering if I've asked the wrong question? I assumed the natural progression from regular push ups was one armed, but maybe there is a step or two in between? perhaps the pseudo planche for example?

After a turbulent few years (kids being born, pandemic, change of career moving house, etc!) I'm focusing on building my foundations right now. Running S&S and then GTG for key movements (Goblets, pull ups, press ups, press) to regain familiarity with the movement patterns and polish the form. later on, once I've hit simple, I will begin to work on these things with more focus.

Doing 15-20 regular push ups GTG style doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense, so looking for the next step, which I assumed would be one armed. Open to other progressions and alternatives

I found this interesting

It seems I'm in level 4 struggling to move up to level 5

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 15
Maybe I misunderstood something but aren't you in level 2 (regular push-up) trying to get to level 5 (one-arm push-up)? That picture you attached has lot of progressions you could try.

Back
Top Bottom