all posts post new thread

Bodyweight One Armed Push up regressions

Maybe I misunderstood something but aren't you in level 2 (regular push-up) trying to get to level 5 (one-arm push-up)? That picture you attached has lot of progressions you could try.
I can do diamond, Spider-Man, planche lean and archer, though I haven’t properly programmed or trained them. Maybe I need to pick one to grease and polish for a few weeks?

Sorry, so I did misunderstand since you mentioned only regular pushups. If you do with the archer same routine that got you to do 30 regular, I'd imagine one-arm would be accessible.

I would try:
Hands ultra wide (all weight one one hand, other for support).
One arm down, two arms up .
One arm down, rest on floor, use some momentum one arm up.

One arm Feet ultra wide against wall.
One arm Feet ultra wide.
Regular OAPU

(Will upload a video of what I mean)

Edit: @Symanoy Video of progression (warning, professional video filming and edit)

Edit2: sorry totally missed that you could do ugly reps each side. Then GTG with those reps 1-5 reps each day. As you learn the tension you can work on your form from there. No need to be perfect from the start

Last edited:
I've been working on my push ups via GTG for a number of months now. my regular push ups have improved enormously, my form and tightness has got so much better and the movement feels a lot smoother. I can knock out around 30 regular push ups in a row with solid form fairly comfortably.

I'm keen to progress to one armed push ups but struggling to find a good regression as I can only do one fairly ugly rep each side. I've tried elevating using my staircase but it's not felt good. The steps feel like they get in the way and I'm struggling to get enough tension and rigidity in my body.

Any other suggestions for regressing the one arm push up or working towards it?

Cheers!
I use a band around my free shoulder attached to an overhead pull-up bar and assisted OAPU with my free hand. The band assist OAPU allows me to create the tension needed in the plank and reinforces the concept of “pulling” myself down/rowing myself to the floor. The free hand assist aids in finding the strongest shoulder path to keep lats engaged and the shoulders and hips square to the floor.
I’d be happy to share videos if needed.

Back
Top Bottom