all posts post new thread

Kettlebell One Complete S&S Session

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My thoughts - really deep squat, interesting to see it with the bell upside down. (I start mine with a swing and then catch it at the top of the swing by the horns think I saw this in a Geoff Neupert video - works well for me with a 32).

I thought your halos looked shallow too.

Get-up looked amazingly strong and consistent - you looked like you could knock out 50 of those with no variation at all.
In terms of comparison I tend to complete the lowering of my shoulders to the floor a little bit slower - that's just a comment not a critique you're clearly under control throughout.

Not even going to try and comment on the stretches. I think I am going to give them a go though, reckon I could give Alistair a run for his money.

On the HR variation with posture thing - try going from finishing your swings to lying on the ground for the get-up as quick as you can - the autonomic nervous system is amazing!

Thanks Anna......looks like I'll just keep hanging out there. Is their a time where a little bit of help from gravity kicks in? Does it get to a point where extra depth is exponential rather than the snail's pace I experience? Like the leaning tower of Pisa, another inch and it would have been a pile of dust, so I'm thinking, hoping that maybe gravity will help at a certain degree of forward bend.

Krg, if tight hips were an olympic event I may appear overconfident and arrogant in the pre-event build up and suggest that I will win gold. I'm up for a challenge to my title though!

Karl, thanks for your comments. I like your idea of catching the bell at the top of the swing. I will cautiously give this a try. And I'm working on the halos, and shoulder mobility in general, with a renewed focus! Get-ups, yeah, I think I could have done another 10 at least :) Tomorrow I am back to the 28kg and/or 32kg. Good idea to lower to floor more slowly...there is a lot of abdominal activation right there, might as well maximize it.

Alistair, maybe gravity, but breathing helps more. Inhale, extend the spine (reach up with the crown of the head). Exhale, lean forward, even if just 1 degree. Inhale & extend; exhale forward. Just keep at it... breathe into it. It does seem like I had somewhat of a breakthrough with this at some point as far as flexibility, but was a while ago. Maybe alternate some self-myofascial-release with the relaxation and stretch? I actually got a lot out of this video, and it is one of the areas targeted: http://www.functionalpatterns.com/6-techniques-to-help-you-get-some-sleep-video/

A note on kettlebell position for the goblet squat.

How you hold the bell for your goblet squat isn't important. The point is to find a good, deep, comfortable squat - use the techniques in the book to help you do that, and remember the weight is there primarily to serve as a counter-balance.

If you want to have fun with your goblet squat, video your best effort with your regular weight and then start using lighter weights while attempting to maintain the same good form. For most people, a lighter weight will be more challenging if - and that's a big if - you are strict about maintaining the same good form as with a heavier weight. Eventually try to achieve a bodyweight-only squat whose bottom position looks a lot like that of your goblet squat.

-S-

That was absolutely badass. You certainly made it look 'simple'...and it isn't. Very inspiring to see someone kick a#@ all the way through the session.

Thanks, Gassyndrome. I concur that it isn't as easy as it looks :)

@Harald, I tried another upload, to edit out the audio that is being blocked in Germany, but YouTube detected it was a duplicate and rejected it. I need to edit out a few seconds and try again. I'll get there...

Anna, you might be able to remove the audio directly online by using YouTube's editing features. That would still leave your copy at home intact should you wish.

-S-

I'm not a geek, I'm more of a nerd or dork. But it's still impressive work you little Beast. Who's that bald guy trying to steal your thunder?

first Anna, thank you for your compassion to the german audience. Only managed to observe your warm up and swings this evening.
What is already mentioned above: halos (Indian clubs seem a good choice, maybe consider bridging), hip flexor stretches.
Swings: you are a left hand, aren't you? because you start swinging with your right hand and your left hand swings look and are better when you swing with your left to my layman's eyes.
As you swing with your left, your free arm/hand (it is your right, then) is on each rep almost doing the same and is nice far reaching in your backswing. In contrast when you swing with your right hand, your free left hand is a kind of fidgeting and not so far reaching. In my opinion it would be a good cue to you, to shift a little attention on the free hands, that they do the same in this regard.
Another thing to focus on would be nose breathing while "resting".
Your squatting ability looks picture perfect to me.
In general, it is a great tool for improvement to video oneself, to observe what is really going on. And the slowmo function on YouTube comes in handy with high speed ballistics like the swing. And now... my holy sleep the queen of resting.

Wow Anna, that's amazing, well done! I'm still at the 16kg for getups and 24kg for swings, just getting rolling with the program. After the long thread about heartrate I've lowered my reps so I can build my aerobic base (per Al C's recommendation) first and then focus on moving up to 10 sets of 10. Thanks for providing the full video too, it's helpful seeing what a master goes through from start to finish. Keep up the great work!

Harald, I was looking forward to your insights! And so we have Chapter 1... interesting observations. Actually, I am right handed. But my left side is better integrated and balanced. Right side struggles to fire all muscles together, always have trigger points and knots; back, shoulder, even right quad. I work on it constantly. I wish I knew the source of the problem. But I will try to focus and mirror the left hand swing and that may improve the right swing. And nose breathing, yes. Thank you.

@Steve Freides, I tried the hip flexor stretch before swings today, and it did seem to help! Another good catch.

I rested this weekend, so today I did the "Non-Stop Swing Testing" (the other kind of test... every 2 weeks, "Die but do", S&S page 86).... I got 170 w/ 20kg. John Fox did better with 210 at 24kg. Then we both experienced @ali 's "spontaneously combusting forearms" !

Tomorrow, back to business as usual, swings with plenty of rest, and getups. Now I will see what I can do with 32kg.

Baron, sounds like you are on the right track. Glad it was helpful, and thanks!

Anna, thank you for the kind words - and well done on your Die But Do!

-S-

Anna, I'm glad you shared that video! I am doing the "Protocol 520" currently, but anything S&S-related is interesting to me. You are very strong and move smoothly! That's about the biggest compliment I can give. Because it's one thing to be strong and move like a brute. And another to be strong and still move like Baryshnikov.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom