all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Other Kettlebell moves than the getup and swing???

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
What other moves do you recommend for days I don't feel like doing the regular S&S programme?

I found that I need at least one day of variety a week from my S&S training. (working on the 32 now) So I either pick up my pair of 16's (need to get another 24 yet) and do the Armor Building complex by @Dan John 20-30 minutes of that and I'm done. Anyone who can do 30 minutes of that with 32's is one bad mofo!
Or I do 50 Swings and one of, C&P ladders with the 24 (to get ready for doing ROP once I hit my Simple goal) or 50 pushups in a superset (10 swings 10 pushups etc etc)

clean and press
double kb front squat
carries
... there are many to choose from and a day off from S&S is a good day to practice other movements

I recommend moves that work both mobility and strength. Windmills, bent presses, and work on your splits as strength training.

-S-
Thank you. Is the split the classic stretching move or something else? I couldn't figure it out with an internet search.

Whatever splits you like - side split, martial arts split, front split, etc. I like the Cossack stretch used this way as well - again, done the right way, it's both strength and mobility training.

-S-

Last edited:
Nice! I did a lot of bent presses today, or maybe they were more like side presses actually.

I overdid it a bit a week ago with one handed 32kg swings, so I'm looking to keep in shape with some replacement exercises for S&S for a while. Based on the above advice, I'll assume that doing goblet squats or kettlebell deadlifts can kind of stand in for the swing, and windmills/bent presses stand in for the getup?

The kettlebell deadlift will make a great stand-in for the swing. That's good thinking on your part, IMHO, but it would be good, when you're ready, to see a video of your swing.

-S-

The kettlebell deadlift will make a great stand-in for the swing. That's good thinking on your part, IMHO, but it would be good, when you're ready, to see a video of your swing.

-S-
Thank you! I just did a 10X10 set of kettlebell deadlifts to replace the swings and then came back and read this message! Very cool! The deadlifts are a lot easier to do than the swings, of course, and I need much less recovery time therefore, but I certainly could feel their benefits anyhow. Fun stuff!

What do you mean by this?
I should be incorporating more and more single armed sets as per the book's instructions gradually, but instead just suddenly jumped from doing only 2handed to only 1handed swings with the 32kg kettlebell. I did that because I used to be able to do them all single handedly before I went on a two month trip during which I only did naked warrior and pullups. As the book says, Naked Warrior leaves your lower back fairly weak, and I experienced this last week when my lower back muscles were not up to the tasks that the rest of me was up to.

I'm doing ROP format ladders of push ups and explosive rows with double 24 kg when I can (seldom), and in the week-ends when I don't do S&S, I'm testing a snatch routine I tried to design because I'm a fool and think I can design programs and because I can't stand to swing the 32 kg everyday wtiht a sustainable effort but not being able to snatch the 24 kg to save my life! I still think it's not the best choice to mix S&S with anything else before at least having reached two sets of swings and get ups with the 32 kg. I know it can take months and doing just two exercises over and over again can be boring after a while, but if, like me, one starts from the very bottom of the fitness level and works his way up to full 24 kg S&S, the protocol demands absolute concentration not because it's particulary hard, but because a certain level of proficiency it's needed before adding things to two movements that are, in my opinion, some of the best for the health of the body if done correctly, but can easily and quickly become dangerous if "taken lightly".
I don't take varity days, but if I did, I'd probably do some bodyweight work just because I happen to like it and to a level that will not interfer with S&S.
OS resets, Yoga, Martial Arts form practicing and drills, shadow boxing or heavy bag interval training for three minutes rounds I think would be awesome choices too to had mobility and a different type of stimulus (especially kata, shadow boxing and the heavy bag).
You can also finish S&S sessions with some specific grip work in which Mister @Geoff Chafe is expert, which I think is always a good idea and an important aspect of strength training.

Choices are many! :)

@Steve Freides thank you very much for your kind interest, but what I meant is that I can't because I'm not used to the weight. :) I specifically asked my SFG II to correct each and every thing I was doing wrong in the basic six movements, snatch included. I'm very comfortable with a 16 kg bell, as a couple of weeks after completing the GPP complex my instructor designed for me, he evaluated an all out effort "snatch test" performed with such bell and I scored 86 repetitions with good form, a six reps improvement since six weeks prior, and he was actually surprised my form got better in the end instead of worsening. This test was carried out after an hour long evaluation session in which all the six basic movements were involved, swings were done two handed (32 kg), single and double bells (24 kg), cleans and squats single and double bells (24 kg), and the remaining lifts performed one armed and with differente bell sizes.
I trained the 24 kg bell snatch here and there since then, sort of GTG style, before being so botherd that I had to write down a program. In fact, I don't think I'm writing anything new that will impact the fitness industry, but if it is something possible on this forum and You or any other Instructor or expert would like to take a look and comment it, I'd be grateful. It's really nothing special: the main purpose is to snatch the bell 150 times in 10 minutes, or to make a regular snatch test feel easier, it has been put down to fit a two or three days per week progression and the two modules are a little bit different between each others. In my mind, the relatively slow progression (I counted 17 weeks for the two days module, three days one should be one or two weeks shorter) should allow to other activities to be perfomerd as I follow this program as a "plug-in", hoping to transfer it to the Rites Of Passage as soon as I finish S&S and have it consolidated (which means two months of S&S with the 32 kg everyday).

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom