all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Painful push-ups - front delts

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Anna C I'm in much the same boat. I neglected Push Ups for a long time. My reasoning, if it can be called that, was why bother with puny bodyweight exercises when I can Bench the mighty Barbell? Of course, I found out the hard way how silly and limiting that kind of thinking is: I decided to try some push ups recently just to add variety to my gym workouts.

The results were...well, humbling is probably the most polite way to put it. And yes, my shoulders hurt as well. And my elbows made weird cracking sounds. So I've gone back to Push Ups 101: Half-Push Ups from my knees, with strict attention to form. This is much easier on my shoulders and elbows, while allowing me to build up volume.

Best of luck.

Where in the rep does it start hurting?

In my years I’ve found many ways to work around and heal injuries by doing a variation of the exercise. Push-ups have unlimited variations so you’re in luck!

Sometimes, you just need to warmup a bit or even get back to feeling your Bw on your hands. Cat camels, push-up plus (just at the scapula), max shanks flow and even PU planks can be a nice prep before doing full reps. Yoga push-ups are also an option.

You can start by elevating the surface by pushing off a box or bench or even try starting at the bottom of the push-up to find your ideal hand, elbow position. The latter always seems to help me when I feel wonky from the top. I rest my sternum on the deck, pull my shoulders down and back with elbows in and push.

Whatever you do, make sure it doesn’t hurt! If it does, stop, slow down and find out why. Usually it’s just a poor movement pattern or setup issue.

what helps me to get rid of push-up/dip-related pain is imagining that I'm doing an Australian pull-up while going down. Proper lat engagement helps me, hope it will help you.
EDIT: now I remember: another game changer for me was palm and feet positioning - index fingers being parallel to one another, feet shoulder width apart. No need to do the screwing motion with hands then.

Where in the rep does it start hurting?

In my years I’ve found many ways to work around and heal injuries by doing a variation of the exercise. Push-ups have unlimited variations so you’re in luck!

Sometimes, you just need to warmup a bit or even get back to feeling your Bw on your hands. Cat camels, push-up plus (just at the scapula), max shanks flow and even PU planks can be a nice prep before doing full reps. Yoga push-ups are also an option.

You can start by elevating the surface by pushing off a box or bench or even try starting at the bottom of the push-up to find your ideal hand, elbow position. The latter always seems to help me when I feel wonky from the top. I rest my sternum on the deck, pull my shoulders down and back with elbows in and push.

Whatever you do, make sure it doesn’t hurt! If it does, stop, slow down and find out why. Usually it’s just a poor movement pattern or setup issue.
About halfway down is where it really starts hurting, so mostly the bottom part of the movement.

I have been doing planks on the hands pretty regularly with no problem, so it's definitely related to the push-up movement itself and not just holding bodyweight on the hands.

Yes, good idea on elevating. I'll regress to that and try to work back to the floor.

I got an anterior shoulder pain after pushing through a mild pain in OAPUs. I still don’t know what it truly was that hurt and there remains a niggle, so possibly tendon. I did a lot of pec stretching which felt tight around the pec minor area, but there was tenderness early on ivo the anterior delt. My error was “pushing through” - I also moved to KB press rather than truly rest. Muppet, really.

After a few months off, only doing push ups, KB presses and stretching, I’ve carefully reintroduced heavy presses and OAPU/HSPU. I occasionally feel a slight niggle now, but I can train properly and have ROM back.

This thread has proven interesting. My recommendation is reduce the work directly, scale down your exercises, stretch a great deal. Bring in complimentary exercises in a different plane and test for what induces pain and what doesn’t. Yoga was a gift for me. Perhaps worth a try.

I was prescribed Scapula pushups (/presses) as part of my impingement rehab to work the serratus anterior and keep the shoulder open.
Scap push-ups bother my shoulder but I’m kind of a unique case. A surgery when I was younger must have cut some nerves because it messed up my serratus and a couple other things.

It was yoga push-ups that saved my shoulder. That helped more than all the rehab and pt. The movement was painful but I found that if I relax into it a certain way the correct muscles did the work. It’s still numb where the scar goes across but if the muscle above and below fires than all is well.

Is this what you guys have in mind when you say yoga push-ups?

This is a variation that works, yes. However, it is the overhead portion that is key ie you don’t have to do the basic push-up (since that’s the portion that hurts) before you go to the overhead position. Pavel M’s push-up variation in The Great Gama protocol is also a good one.

I’ve seen this exercise named and performed in a plethora ways. The money portion to me for shoulder motion is the movement from the PU plank to overhead. The”Seal push-up” portion, as in TGG protocol offers a lot of other benefits but may not be fitting for you yet since the scapula should travel through the same ROM (or more) as a regular PU.

Another idea would be to just do a regular PU but with band assistance. You can loop a band between the legs of a power rack (as long as there’s adequate tension on the band and the rack is sturdy, read not two separate posts that would drag or collapse inward to the pressure like some Oly squat stands). From there, you can perform a slow negative into the band, resting under your sternum and really focus on exact push-up technique while the band will take some of your weight off the painful area. Another benefit of the band is it will remind you to keep a strong mid section lock. I used this technique with great success in achieving a OAOLPU.

One last key point in push-up technique. It is key to anti shrug, ie press your traps towards your hips. On the descent I notice anytime I feel pain it’s because of

1) improper starting position
2) not dragging the elbow into the lats.

The lats, when used during ANY proper descent into a press, act as the cushion to your upper arm and thus your shoulders. Plus doing so opens your chest taking pressure off the anterior shoulder capsule. No need to overdo this though! Extreme external rotation causes its own issues.

I’m sure you will get your technique back quickly!

Last edited:
My problem is that my shoulders are super painful when I try to do push-ups.
"If it hurts, don't do it."

If it is bad pain (which it sound like), why keep doing it; irritating it and not letting it heal?

I was good at benching a couple of years ago but it's been months since I did any at all. I'll try some bar-only bench presses.
Bench Press

This movement places a lot of stress on the shoulder; as you know, it is an upside down Push Up.

Major League Overhand Fast Ball Pitchers

Years ago, I attended a NSCA Strength Clinic.

One of the speaker was a PhD Physical Therapist for half the day on various topics.

One of the topics had to do with the number of Shoulder Ending Career Injuries of Major League Fast Ball Pitchers.

The main issues was how hard Overhand Fast Ball Pitches is on the shoulder.

The primary reasons that some pitchers had long and some pitcher had short careers was...

External Rotator Cuff Strength

1) Pitcher with long careers had strong External Rotator Cuff Muscles; which protected anterior shoulder.

2) Pitcher with short careers usually had weak External Rotator Cuff Muscles.

The Physical Therapist harped on Strength Coaches working with Baseball Pitchers perform a lot of External Rotator Cuff Strength Training.

Chris Thibaudeau, Strength Coach

Thibaudeau has echoed the Physical Therapist message on External Rotator Cuff Training.

As per Thibaudeau, for every Internal Rotator Cuff Movement (Pitching, Bench Pressing, Push Ups, etc) perform two (2) External Rotator Cuff Movements.

Underhand Fast Soft Ball Pitchers

As per the Physical Therapist at the NSCA Clinic, relatively few Underhand Fast Soft Ball Pitcher ever have any shoulder issues.

That because very little trauma is placed on the shoulder with in an Underhand Fast Soft Ball Pitch.

With that said, let look at how altering the Hand Grip can minimize trauma to the shoulder, as with Underhand Fast Soft Ball Pitching.

Bench Press Example

1) Pronated Grip

This is the Traditional Hand Grip (palm facing away from you) method of Bench Pressing.

As with Major League Overhand Fast Ball Pitching, it places a lot of stress on anterior shoulder.

2) Supinated Grip

This is an Underhanded Grip (palm are facing you) Bench Press Method.

As with Underhand Fast Soft Ball Pitching, less stress is placed on the shoulder.

This is a good article on it...

Reverse Grip Bench Press

3) Angled Grip

Angling the Bench Press Grip so that it is in an almost Neutral Hand Position with the bar, take the stress off the shoulder.

To obtain the Angle Grip with an Olympic Bar, a Thumbless Grip is required. It allows you to slightly rotate the your hand to into a
Quazi-Neutral Grip Position.

4) Swiss Bar

The Swiss Bar allows for Neutral and Quazi-Neutral Grip Positions; taking pressure off the shoulder.

5) Dumbbell Neutral Grip Bench Pressing

Dumbbells allow for Neutral Grip or Supinated Pressing Positions.

Personal Experience

Due to a shoulder injury, I now use a Reverse Grip Bench Press. It was a learning experience. I started off performing the Reverse with 95 lbs.

I'd equate the Reverse Grip Bench Press with learning to eat and write with your left hand, when you are right handed.

I also have a Swiss Bar. That is a huge shoulder saver. In place of it, perform Neutral Grip or Reverse Grip Presses.

The Take Home Message

In learning a new technique or exercise...

1) Be Patient

It amounts to, "Taking one step backward so you can take two step forward".

2) Anything Different, Does Not Feel Right

The key is to, "Keep doing it until it feel right, natural."

@Anna C

Not really knowing what might be causing your problem, I can't give specific advice. As you know, at various times in the past I have had mild to moderate shoulder pain, and I have had two rotator cuff surgeries to repair acute tears suffered while playing basketball. But I have now been pain free for a few years, since rehabbing from my second surgery, and I can now tolerate pushups and lots of overhead work.

I've posted before my whole list of personal favorite high bang-for-the-buck shoulder girdle tune ups, but if I had to recommend just one to try, it would be the David Allen band pull-apart super series:

As someone who has had issues with both shoulders at varying times, may I offer a perspective that gets missed a lot.

@Anna C sre you familiar at all with the principles of PRI (postural restoration institute)? You may not have many of the patterns they discuss, but the principles behind shoulder function and how it relates to your rib cage and pelvis are something I almost never hear people bring up. These principles saved my shoulders.

When you do things like Olympic lifting, you spend a LOT more time in systemic extension: shoulders back, an “arch” through the spine, neck in extension, etc. however, for the scapular to function well on the rib cage, to find a stable base, you actually need a degree of flexion. It seems counterintuitive at first, because the fitness world places so much emphasis on “t-spine mobility,” but an emphasis on extension in that manner makes the back of your rib cage “flat.” Your scapular are not flat. See where this is going? I’m short, if your scaps cannot stabilize well against your ribs, the slack is going to manifest in the glenohumeral joint. When I began to apply pri principles and learned to expand my ribs, especially in my back, things started to improve.

Rather than ramble on I’ll post some links and see if that sheds any light on your issue.

As someone who has had issues with both shoulders at varying times, may I offer a perspective that gets missed a lot.

@Anna C sre you familiar at all with the principles of PRI (postural restoration institute)? You may not have many of the patterns they discuss, but the principles behind shoulder function and how it relates to your rib cage and pelvis are something I almost never hear people bring up. These principles saved my shoulders.

When you do things like Olympic lifting, you spend a LOT more time in systemic extension: shoulders back, an “arch” through the spine, neck in extension, etc. however, for the scapular to function well on the rib cage, to find a stable base, you actually need a degree of flexion. It seems counterintuitive at first, because the fitness world places so much emphasis on “t-spine mobility,” but an emphasis on extension in that manner makes the back of your rib cage “flat.” Your scapular are not flat. See where this is going? I’m short, if your scaps cannot stabilize well against your ribs, the slack is going to manifest in the glenohumeral joint. When I began to apply pri principles and learned to expand my ribs, especially in my back, things started to improve.

Rather than ramble on I’ll post some links and see if that sheds any light on your issue.

Very helpful. Thanks.

Without seeing your movement or k owing your training history I would recommend:
1. KB armbars
2. KB deltoid and pec smashing
3. Thompson BowTie...pulls the shoulders back and releases the anterior pulling

If it is bad pain (which it sound like), why keep doing it; irritating it and not letting it heal?
While it's possible that it's some sort of overuse issue, I can definitely say it's not from overdoing push-ups. These past few weeks I've only done maybe 5 FULL push-ups and maybe 25 partial or elevated or otherwise regressed push-ups. I've been doing plenty of other training, but nothing else resembling push-ups, because of this discomfort or pain.

2) Supinated Grip

This is an Underhanded Grip (palm are facing you) Bench Press Method.
Interesting idea.... I have seen them but never tried them. I'll do some with just the bar and see how it feels. Thanks.

@Anna C

Not really knowing what might be causing your problem, I can't give specific advice. As you know, at various times in the past I have had mild to moderate shoulder pain, and I have had two rotator cuff surgeries to repair acute tears suffered while playing basketball. But I have now been pain free for a few years, since rehabbing from my second surgery, and I can now tolerate pushups and lots of overhead work.

I've posted before my whole list of personal favorite high bang-for-the-buck shoulder girdle tune ups, but if I had to recommend just one to try, it would be the David Allen band pull-apart super series:

Good series! Thank you.

The on the capture below causes a fair amount of discomfort on both arms where I marked with a red arrow. I feel that same discomfort when I raise my arms out to the side. I've had this since early this year. Not sure if it's related to the push-up problem or not. No, wait....
Actually... I just tested push-ups, and I feel that same pain there with push-ups, as much as, or more than, the front delts. Might be onto something there.

1635702101720.png

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom