all posts post new thread

Pavel -Alexander Faleev’s One Lift Per Day

austin3d

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello,

My name is David. I'm 53, 6'3" and weigh 230 pounds.

I'm an intermediate barbell lifter and bouncing around from different programming like Heavy, Light Medium to 4 Day Splits. So far I'm finding the stress a bit too much when I have more than one lift in a day. I can handle it but wondering if there's a better way.

When I was a novice I did the Pavel -Alexander Faleev’s article suggestion where you only did one lift per day and found it to be very satisfying and not too stressful allowing me to pursue other activities.

Any suggestions for an intermediate program that would mimic the one day lift where you could still make progress with your strength?

My main goal is to get to the 1,000 pound club and I'm getting pretty close. If I can get there by doing just one lift per day then that would be great.

My current lifts are as follows:

Squatting 300 for 5 reps
Benching 225 for 5 reps
Deadlifting 340 for 5 reps

I really don't do 1 RMs that often as I'm saving all that for the 1,000 pound club.

Thanks for any advice.

Any suggestions for an intermediate program that would mimic the one day lift where you could still make progress with your strength?
I suppose that if you looked into Reload, and you set up a minimalist Bench and Deadlift template.
2 days a week, ea. lift; 4 days per week.

That would only demand one lift performed per day.
And, I would hope that you find that some strength would have been accrued.

Hello,

I'm an intermediate barbell lifter and bouncing around from different programming like Heavy, Light Medium to 4 Day Splits. So far I'm finding the stress a bit too much when I have more than one lift in a day. I can handle it but wondering if there's a better way.

When I was a novice I did the Pavel -Alexander Faleev’s article suggestion where you only did one lift per day and found it to be very satisfying and not too stressful allowing me to pursue other activities.

My main goal is to get to the 1,000 pound club and I'm getting pretty close. If I can get there by doing just one lift per day then that would be great.

Squatting 300 for 5 reps
Benching 225 for 5 reps

I really don't do 1 RMs that often as I'm saving all that for the 1,000 pound club.

Thanks for any advice.
I’d imagine if you tested your 1rm for those three lifts, you would be in the 1,000 pound club pretty easily. I really like reload, easy strength, plan strong, and I’m making my way through easy strength Omni book now. I know a lot of people like Jim Wendlers programs. There’s plenty others.

Hello,

Squatting 300 for 5 reps
Benching 225 for 5 reps

Thanks for any advice.
@Dan John has the classic OLAD article on T-Nation from 2004!

@austin3d, I'd do your 1,000 lb club at a meet - nothing like being on the record for things like that, and you'll have a room full of friends and strangers cheering you on.

Later, it was invented by someone.
Love this, Dan.

I "invented" my own version of it which I'll share here and I've posted about before on our forum.

Mon: Heavy SQ, light BP, light DL
Wed: Light SQ, Heavy BP, light DL
Fri: Light SQ, Light BP, heavy DL

A few notes:

I like training the lifts in competition order - I feel like it helps me when competition time comes. E.g., I have a stiff lower back, and getting it out of arched-to-the-max from the BP into where I want it for the DL takes a bit of work, so I get to practice that in training.

If you only like to DL once a week, just skip the light DL days - I often do.

If you like a medium day, just change one of the light days to that. I sometimes do, e.g, I'll aim for 25-30 lifts for a heavy day, 10-ish for light day, and maybe 15-ish for a medium day.

A 5 x 5 approach is nice for heavy day. Something like 3 x 3 with 80%-ish of heavy day's weight worked for me.

The most important thing to note that I've changed an important piece of "1 lift a day" - it's not anymore, it's 3 lifts a day, but it's one heavy lift a day, and that's been a staple of a lot of training for a long time, now. I don't care for a different lift every day - I think there's benefit to the additional training frequency and volume as far as one's skill at a lift goes, hence I do all 3 competition lift on each training day. So while this might not seem connected to one lift a day, it's what my feeble mind decided kept the spirt of that but was more suited to my focus on skill improvement and on practicing the competition lifts. As they say, your mileage may vary.

-S-

I'm 50 and 230 lbs. as well, but I am shorter than you. Anyway I like the One Lift Per Day concept. I do something similar, more like 2 lifts per day. I keep a list of upper body and lower body moves and pic one from each for my day's workout. No barbells, so an example is Club Sheild Casts and Kettlbell Swings. I call it a MCPICK workout. And for me, its emotional: I don't feel overwhelmed by what I need to achieve in that day's workout.

Hello,

Squatting 300 for 5 reps
Benching 225 for 5 reps

Thanks for any advice.
If I wanted to do Faleev's routine a bit more advanced, I would just add some periodization.
Instead of a fixed rep schem 5x5, I would do:

Week 1: 5x7
Week 2: 5x5
Week 3: 5x3
Week 4: deload
Week 5-new week 1: 5x7 with a little more weight than week 1.
etc etc

If I wanted to do Faleev's routine a bit more advanced, I would just add some periodization.
Instead of a fixed rep schem 5x5, I would do:

Week 1: 5x7
Week 2: 5x5
Week 3: 5x3
Week 4: deload
Week 5-new week 1: 5x7 with a little more weight than week 1.
etc etc
That's kind of what I'd do. When I'd bump up the weight for my 5 x 5, I'd often not even get the first set of 5 and would do something like 4-3-2 and call it a day. Gradually, the weight would remain the same and the volume would increase. I think that kind of periodization is at the heart of what 5 x 5 and triple progression is about.

-S-

That's kind of what I'd do. When I'd bump up the weight for my 5 x 5, I'd often not even get the first set of 5 and would do something like 4-3-2 and call it a day. Gradually, the weight would remain the same and the volume would increase. I think that kind of periodization is at the heart of what 5 x 5 and triple progression is about.

-S-
This is the best approach to strength training in the long term, imo.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely going to join a meet in next couple of months to test for 1,000 lb club. I live near Austin, TX if anyone has a recommendation for a meet in this area.

I ended up doing the following this week and it felt great. As long as I can add 5lbs to the squat and deadlift and 2.5lbs to the bench each week, I'm going to give it a ride. The reason I do a 90% lift on my light day is find that when you get over 50, your body detrains more quickly so I need to give it more intensity than a younger guy). Here's what I did last week:

Monday
Bench (heavy) 5x3
(I'll keep adding 2.5lb until I can't then I'll move to a top set, drop set)

Tuesday
Squat(light)
1x5 (90%)
1x5 (85%)
1x5 (80%)

Wednesday - Off

Thursday
Deadlift (heavy)
2x3
1x5 (80%)

Friday
Bench (light)
2x5 (90%)
2x5 (85%)

Saturday
Squat (heavy)
3x3
1x5 (90%)

Sunday - Off

@austin3d, I'd do your 1,000 lb club at a meet - nothing like being on the record for things like that, and you'll have a room full of friends and strangers cheering you on.

Love this, Dan.

I "invented" my own version of it which I'll share here and I've posted about before on our forum.

Mon: Heavy SQ, light BP, light DL
Wed: Light SQ, Heavy BP, light DL
Fri: Light SQ, Light BP, heavy DL

A few notes:

I like training the lifts in competition order - I feel like it helps me when competition time comes. E.g., I have a stiff lower back, and getting it out of arched-to-the-max from the BP into where I want it for the DL takes a bit of work, so I get to practice that in training.

If you only like to DL once a week, just skip the light DL days - I often do.

If you like a medium day, just change one of the light days to that. I sometimes do, e.g, I'll aim for 25-30 lifts for a heavy day, 10-ish for light day, and maybe 15-ish for a medium day.

A 5 x 5 approach is nice for heavy day. Something like 3 x 3 with 80%-ish of heavy day's weight worked for me.

The most important thing to note that I've changed an important piece of "1 lift a day" - it's not anymore, it's 3 lifts a day, but it's one heavy lift a day, and that's been a staple of a lot of training for a long time, now. I don't care for a different lift every day - I think there's benefit to the additional training frequency and volume as far as one's skill at a lift goes, hence I do all 3 competition lift on each training day. So while this might not seem connected to one lift a day, it's what my feeble mind decided kept the spirt of that but was more suited to my focus on skill improvement and on practicing the competition lifts. As they say, your mileage may vary.

-S-
This. Is. Money. Absolutely one of the best things I have seen in a while. Excellent. Reasonable, repeatable, doable. Here is Praise....here is HIGHER praise.

Programs that require me to increase the weight every workout wears me out mentally and physically. Doing one more rep per workout works best for me. These days I started a similar program. I took 80% of 1RM on the main exercises and started with 5x2, then 32222, 33222, 33322, 33332, 5x3 and again on 5x2 with more weight. This is how I structured the training, so that if I am ok, I can train on two consecutive days if I need to and as often as possible. In one workout, I'll do squats, chin-ups (or dumbbell rows), and dumbbell curls for biceps in 2-3x6-8, and in the other, Romanian deadlifts, bench presses, and triceps exercises in 2-3x6-8. Low volume, with heavier weights and higher frequency if I can. I was just wondering if I should do a bench press or an incline bench press so it could be some sort of hybrid between horizontal and vertical pushing.

I was just wondering if I should do a bench press or an incline bench press so it could be some sort of hybrid between horizontal and vertical pushing
It wouldn’t hurt to do bench. My current training has my whole upper hit on different days. Bench, row, press, pull up or chin up, and dips.

My idea is to only do the one exercise for 5x2-3 that I put my energy into and look for maximum results only on that one. And I was wondering if BP or Incline BP.

Steve, back at you! Great respect. Your insights are always excellent. And...I can't believe your patience moderating this site.

Back
Top Bottom