Physical Training for Aging Dad

Discussion in 'Masters (50+ years old)' started by Doug, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Doug

Doug Double-Digit Post Count

Hi All,

I’m want to get my father interested in general strength training. He’s 72 years old, moves well and is always out and about. I want him to start resistance training to keep his strength up. I was thinking of starting with a book, any suggestions?

2. Carl in Dover

Carl in Dover More than 300 posts

May I respectfully submit some videos that may be helpful from the National Institute of Health "go4life" program?

Go4Life Workout Videos | Go4Life

Maintaining strength and balance is definately important, especially as we get older.

Carl in Dover

3. Anna C

Anna C More than 5000 posts Elite Certified Instructor

"The Barbell Prescription" by Andy Baker and Dr. Jonathan Sullivan is a good one.

RichJ likes this.
  4. ali

ali Quadruple-Digit Post Count

There are many strength focused books, as Anna recommends above, how to's, Pavel's etc. A great inspiring read for older peeps who may consider themselves to old for that kind of thing....Age is just a number by Charles Eugster.
    He was a sporty type most of his life but he got into competitive athletics later in his life, 80s and 90s.
    A fine illustration of how strength and power focused pursuits can give vitality in later life.

5. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Forum Administrator Senior Certified Instructor

S & S, PTTP, and many other programs will be just fine. The only accommodation I recommend is taking extra rest days as he feels he needs them.

-S-

6. offwidth

offwidth More than 5000 posts

Keeping strong as we age is a good thing.
    It probably goes without saying ... but... please ensure he is medically cleared to do whatever training he is going to do.
    Perhaps see about getting him some personal instruction.

And last but not least... see if he is actually interested in doing this.

Jak Nieuwenhuis likes this.
  7. Jim Lauerman

Jim Lauerman More than 300 posts

I agree with Steve. At 69 I’m not far behind your father. I do make aome other accomodations, however.:

1) My S&S swings are all two-handed to avoid aggravating some discomfort in my right hand and wrist.

2) Swings are A+A using heart rate to regulate when to begin next set and how many reps per set.

3) TGU’s are mostly to the windmill position, especially if my knees are barking at me.

4) 2-3 days a week are plenty. I do my next session when I feel fully recovered from the last one.

5) I could care less about chasing the numbers or the clock. When my training gets too easy, I’ll up the weight. At my age just maintaing my current weight is progress.

Jim

8. North Coast Miller

North Coast Miller More than 2500 posts

My mother in law is 76 and just does circuits at the gym w/ a little treadmill every now and then. She also pays to use a trainer every couple of months to get good ideas on how to shake things up. I give her tips on how she might structure her sessions for better use of her time.

Machines make a lot of sense when easing into resistance training for the first time.

9. vegpedlr

vegpedlr More than 500 posts

In addition to The Barbell Prescription Tactical Barbell Ageless Athlete is good.

I like Easy Strength and the DMPM. I started my 77 yr old on Easy Strength a couple months ago. After getting used to the idea of not needing to kill yourself in the gym, he’s been enjoying it. Being able to do a little little every day and feel good. Stick to the basic human movements, do a little every day, keep coming back again and again.

Jim Lauerman likes this.
  10. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Forum Administrator Senior Certified Instructor

This should be as simple or complex, varied often or not, as the trainee likes. I like things simple - two lifts and walking. Pick your two, vary as needed or wanted, get outside every day.

-S-

Stuart Elliott likes this.