all posts post new thread

Bodyweight PL 1RM Max Estimates from Calisthenics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

305pelusa

Level 6 Valued Member
Figured this might be a fun thread.

I will be maxing out on the 3 PLs with some friends Saturday of next week, just as kind of a fun competition.

Bench is tough 'n go but PLing standard otherwise (arch is acceptable as long as butt stays in contact). Squat is also to PLing depth. DL is sumo or conventional (I'll do conventional).

I have (pretty much) never Benched, DLed or SQed. I did learn the technique a few years ago, so I know how to do them. But haven't done them at all otherwise. We can do warm-up sets and that's about all the practice I'll get.

I am 140 lbs, 5'5'', 23 years old, male. Have trained pretty religiously with Calisthenics for 7 years now.

So the thread itself. I'm curious as to what people would estimate my 1RM for the lifts based on those parameters ^ (or lack thereof). Mainly, what do you think are reasonable 1RM that you estimate I would hit? Whoever gets closest, wins... eternal bragging rights I suppose.

I think the forum has some discussions about how strength transfer from discipline to discipline (or how it doesn't!), so figured it might be a fun thread where people try to make estimates, see how many I impress/disappoint haha.

It's good to just to give me an idea of what numbers make sense to try to shoot for. So definitely helpful for me as well.

Again, just a fun thread.

I couldn't even guess mate. I think you could do quite well on the DL. Not sure about SQ & BP, the lack of experience with those lifts will not help. Are you planning some powerlifting training in the future?

DL 275lbs
SQ ~210lbs
B 200lbs

I think your body (your muscle tissue) would be strong enough to put up bigger numbers, but the lack of familiarity with the lifts (neural component) and especially the feeling of having a heavy object above you (bench) or on your shoulders (squat) can be overwhelming.
Prove me wrong :) but I don't think that someone who practically never used external weights can squat with more than 1.5x his own weight on his shoulders.

Last edited:
I agree with what adam80 said. I think you'll pull a relatively big number on the deadlift, but your strength will be held back from not grooving the squat and the bench on a regular basis. I think that's a big part of powerlifting.

I think you could put up big squat numbers if you did the barbell squat for a few weeks with a relatively light weight, since the pistol already taught you great heel-force generation. And with your build the barbell squat should fit well.

You can probably put up a respectable bench but please be careful as it might stress your shoulders in ways you're not used to.

I think the powerlifts are fun way to assess strength on an infrequent basis now that I do mostly calisthenics. the deadlift being the most forgiving

all that being said I'd bet money you can pull at least 275 off the ground for a rep..

chinese wall squats!

Fun thread. Goes along nicely with the earlier carryover thread. I really don't have a clue about this but I'll throw out my guesstimates and show my ignorance:

DL: 270 lbs
BSQ: 200 lbs
BP: 170 lbs

Looks like my guesstimates are pretty close to those of @Kettlebelephant . The only difference being in the bench press. I think the bench is a tricky one to get a hang of in the beginning. At least it is for me!

SQ: 210
BP: 180
DL: 285

I'll lock these numbers in. But again, I have no clue. The 63kg BW throws me too, in respect to relative strength. Good luck man, post a video if you remember :cool:

Hello,

Fun thread yes !

If I go for some "maths" (I am really fun I know...)

If you do a pistol @140lbs with a 60lbs bell (for instance) you are lifting roughly 200lbs. So a "standard" squat would be about 400lbs. This figure can be huge, but if I remember, @305pelusa , you can pistol with even more ? Even the Beast ?

Otherwise, if we consider the "pure" pistol, I'd say 2X bodyweight.

Related to the DL. I hit 2X bdw without too much trouble with Simple. So I'd say about 260 / 270

I never tested the bench

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
If you do a pistol @63kg with a 28kg bell (for instance) you are lifting roughly 91 kg. So a "standard" squat would be about 182kg. However, I'd add 10% (so about 200) because there is less energy "lost" in maintaining balance (sideways + forward / backward) in a standard squat

Forgive me if I got you wrong, but are you suggesting that @305pelusa will back squat 200kg?

Hello,

@Antti
I think @305pelusa did a pistol with at least 32kg bell. So, with 28, I do a guesstimate. However, even if this can be huge, some friends of mine did it. Of course, everyone is different. I am pretty sure the technique also play a role. Indeed, they trained squat (for technique) for a long time. Sure it helps ! Neural system plays a role

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Hello,

@Antti
I think @305pelusa did a pistol with at least 32kg bell. So, with 28, I do a guesstimate. However, even if this can be huge, some friends of mine did it. Of course, everyone is different. I am pretty sure the technique also play a role. Indeed, they trained squat (for technique) for a long time. Sure it helps ! Neural system plays a role

Kind regards,

Pet'

You have friends who pistol squat with a weight and then back squat approximately double their (bodyweight + the added pistol) weight? I'd expect them to have trained the back squat for a long, long time.

If @305pelusa squats anywhere near 200kg I will eat my hat. Which I will bake myself a short time beforehand, of course. But still.

For comparison, the IPF classic/raw world record in the 66kg class is 250kg. If someone who is only 23 years old lifts 200kg at 64kg bodyweight on his first day, I will suggest he spend a little more time practising it and make a new world record for himself. Just for giggles if nothing else.

Hello,

@Antti
As you said, they already mastered the squat technique. So I think their body "knows" the move.

Another "example" which comes to my mind is my grand-father. He weighted about 65kg. When he was young, he was farmer and carpender. He used to squat 150 / 160kg all day long. Of course, technique was also here a significant thing.

In that thread: Protocol for Mass Building on the post#31, look at that, this is just huge :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Antti
As you said, they already mastered the squat technique. So I think their body "knows" the move.

Another "example" which comes to my mind is my grand-father. He weighted about 65kg. When he was young, he was farmer and carpender. He used to squat 150 / 160kg all day long. Of course, technique was also here a significant thing.

In that thread: Protocol for Mass Building on the post#31, look at that, this is just huge :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I see. Yes, the technique is very important. One must also understand that when squatting with a barbell it is not only about leg strength, one must also have a midsection strong enough to carry the load. If you've never had a lot on your back it will come as a shock.

Your grandfather was very strong. Physical labour makes strong people. Combine that with lift-specific technique and you get strong lifts.

I didn't remember the 48kg pistol squat. That is very impressive. My earlier guesstimate must have been too low. I still hesitate to believe in the 200kg squat.

Hello,

@Antti
I agree with all what you said ;) !

I based my figures on what I remembered and what I know from the 305pelusa's log: L-Sit training, Front Lever, etc...

Maybe we can "reduce our expectations": what about 160 - 170kg then ? ;)

I am eager to know !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Definitely a fun thread, can't wait to see how it turns out! I'll guess:

DL 295 lbs
SQ 195 lbs
BP 170 lbs

Being inexperienced in the lifts probably means that whatever you get will not actually represent your strength, so I'm going a little conservative on the numbers. And I would humbly suggest that, being inexperienced in the lifts, that you do the same when lifting. :)

Hello,

@Antti
I agree with all what you said ;) !

I based my figures on what I remembered and what I know from the 305pelusa's log: L-Sit training, Front Lever, etc...

Maybe we can "reduce our expectations": what about 160 - 170kg then ? ;)

I am eager to know !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Well earlier on I said 90kg/200lbs. Let's make a deal and split it in the middle: 130kg.

Thinking of this made me check out my own logs. On my second day of back squats I did two sets of triples with 130kg. But at that day I weighed almost that much. I can't do a pistol so I can't compare to that. Hmm.

I really don't know. Will be interesting to find out.

DL = 275
SQ = 250
BP = 185

The DL and BP might be a touch low, the SQ a touch high. A lot of your strength might not carry over, but it is my opinion that BW strength has the greatest carryover across disciplines, making it really tough to gauge.

I cannot argue with any of the #'s that have been guesstimated, but I AM very interested in how this plays out...

@pet'
If he does 200Kg I'm going to participate in the next city run and do it naked :D
That's 3.2x bodyweight!
I'm still very impressed by @Antti s 5 plate (220Kg) squat after only 6 months with the bar. No way a quasi-first timer goes for 3x+ BW. That's elite of the elite territory.

Hello,

@Kettlebelephant
It was only "pure maths" here, regardless the technique. Leg strength might be enough. Core, well...to be checked ! I admit this would be just impressive (both for the squat and you running naked :p :D )

Kind regards,

Pet'

Just read through a bit of the thread.

@pet' : Overall it seems your guesses are:

DL: 280 lbs (twice BW)
SQ: 350 lbs (160 kilos)
Bench: Unknown

Is that about right? Not challenging numbers/logic or anything. Just want to have it in a clear format hehe.

@Antti : I believe yours would be :
DL: 270
Sq; 285 (the newer 130 kilos?)
Bench: 170

Again just to keep good track.

Also yes, I Pistoled a 105 lb DB about a year ago. I could most likely do it with a 70 lb DB currently if that helps. I haven't done a Pistol in about 6 weeks though (I don't really train much legs lol).

So yes if you have any extra factors about me that you think will help your guesses, it's fair game to ask :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom