all posts post new thread

[POLL] What Type of Training Plans do You Prefer?

What type of training plans do you prefer?

• Long term plans (months, possibly years)

• 6-12 week plans

• Daily variety/freestyle

Results are only viewable after voting.
Love plan strong strength plans I also like the conditioning side of practicing for months. I wish there was more programming for barbell lifting for those interested in Strongman/powerlifting. And I wish more was available on programs for double half snatches and double clean and jerk or long cycle.

Last two years have been into Reload and BuiltStrong programs (mostly 8 week cycles). Past year has included longer term things alongside main programming including daily dose deadlift and AXE 1HS.

I’m torn between daily and long term, as far as describing my preference. Whichever one translates to “take x philosophy, apply it in a way that works for you, and do it for a long time.” I like to do that with the articles like strength aerobics, or The Best All Around Training Method Ever, or Slow Jogging by Tanaka.

However I wouldn’t say I’ve followed a plan per se since S&S in 2017….

Am aware that some people organise their training in discrete blocks.

I don't know enough to do that for myself so a program of co-ordinated blocks to continuously improve the following year by year

With a new realistic target set at the start of each year so for me the 2025 targets would be
32kg Kettlebell press
32kg Getup - happy to do S&S for this but find it difficult to stick with for 12 months continuous
100 x 24kg Snatches
1.5 bodyweight deadlift

So would it be realistic or possible to do 4 blocks of 12 weeks on each target ?

Would it be realistic and or possible to to bodyweight programs like this ? Or maybe not a good thing to do ?

3months squat focus ie 1 pistols being the initial goal 10 pistols being a long term goal then weighted
3months pullup focus with an unweighted goal and a weighted goal
3months pushup focus with 1 OAPU and then 10 OAPU then weighted OAPU being goals
3months Handstand focus with HSPU being the ultimate goal

Personally, I prefer 6'8 week blocks of high intensity but less frequent workouts with ballistic KB work on the off days. Have experimented with a wide variety of programming, including coached ones and always respond better to the high intensity low frequency ones.

I like long term focus on goals, so I’m guessing long term plans… but those long term plans are built from 6-12 week plans, which are made up of individual workouts that need to adjust to daily stressors.

Really if you could just publish the strong first equivalent to the tactical barbell series I’d be a happy camper.

I plan in 3-6 week blocks. Constant waved intensity with varied exercises. I do have yearly goal deadlines but programming for those is short and sweet and only near the big day.

I used to be all about percentages, excel spreadsheets, delta principles, and calculating weekly volume basing on the current phase of mooncycle or my dog's tail length divided by the diameter of the kettlebell handle, but now I am more about just putting quality work in - work up to a heavy set with a barbell, do as many quality ladders with a kettlebell in alotted time, do some emom snatches or clean and jerks, walk with additional weight for the duration of a podcast. Just cover a given modality (strength, power or endurance) once-twice a week - that's enough. Just staying with one exercise for enough time to progress in it.

I love strong first training plans in general. What I personally prefer is what I have access to, that is kettlebells and bodyweight exercises. And I prefer talk-test plans and going by feel, evading the burn and similar stuff. Not anything related to monitoring your pulse, or having to use a barbell...

At my level of ‘maturity’ I am gravitating more towards principles than programs. As I enter the gym I ask, “what do I want to achieve today?” and then work back from there to actual exercises, intensities, sets/reps, rest periods etc based on the learnings of a lifetime and what equipment doesn’t have a queue. The only exercise that is consistent from workout to workout is lower body isometrics on the leg press (due to knee arthritis I can’t load bear through a range of motion). This approach is recommended for people who measure progress by their gym attendance and feelings. It’s not so good if you have more specific goals in mind

I've gone with 6-12 week plans, but with the option of continuing fresh once the initial period is over, ala ROP, rinse and repeat with a new weight

Back
Top Bottom