all posts post new thread

[POLL] What Type of Training Plans do You Prefer?

What type of training plans do you prefer?

• Long term plans (months, possibly years)

• 6-12 week plans

• Daily variety/freestyle

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've tried all kinds of things over the years, but nothing makes me happier than bro splits. And naturally I went back to it. The only difference with the pros is that I have a lower volume. For example, I go to the gym for chest and biceps, I do 3 chest exercises for 2 sets and 8-12 reps, aiming for the last set to be almost to failure, I do the same for biceps for example for 2 exercises for 2 sets and then I hit the treadmill for some light cardio. And when I can I aim to do the same reps with a heavier weight. I use barbells, dumbbells and machines. It's my thing and I have no intention of changing it from here on out. I provide my body with energy expenditure, I provide stress to the muscles, I feel energetic without anything hurting me. I am no longer a slave to mandatory exercises that gave the greatest gains. If I don't feel good with such an exercise, I throw it in the bin without caring at all.
And since this is a training planning topic, my plan is to be a regular at the gym and cover all muscle groups with direct load within a week.

I usually prefer 4 to 6 weeks long plans (GN got me really used to them these days) and I plan 1-3 plans in advance, as it's easier to ensure consistency in case of life's curve balls or changes that might affect me.
I often "freestyle" in between programs, or try things for 1-2 weeks before settling down, and it sometimes can go for as long as 6 weeks. It works as a form of deload and exploratory phase as well

This time around, I'm going with a 12 weeks BtS6.

I prefer ongoing templates, like S&S, KBSF, or AXE. But about twice per year I like to have a dedicated 6-8 week block (Plan 550, BtS3, etc.), so far mostly for hypertrophy, but theoretically also for strength or peaking.

I don't like challenges (4 week max pushups, etc.). They never work for me.

Big fan of 1-2 month plans that you can then just repeat over and over - 5/3/1 and Tactical Barbell are favorites.

My problem is that when I'm on them, I get OCD about the schedule and everything goes sideways when life gets hectic. Ideal program would probably be something like Novocaine but with more sense of varied intensity and progression.

I am a school teacher. Terms are 10 weeks long. Seems life has organised my training block for me. 10 weeks is an ideal amount of time to complete most programs or see if something is working. If I get sick or injured I will kind of assume that maybe I over did something in that block. When I see something worth doing, and I see tons of goods programs worth doing so I only choose the ones I think I will enjoy, I program it in for 10 weeks and see how it goes. If I get sick or injured, I will reassess and maybe try it with a twist again later in the year. So if I say I tried something, I tried it for 10 weeks minimum in most cases.

late fall, winter, and early spring, i usually do 6 week blocks. then spring to fall, when i'm hiking and climbing, i do just long cycle twice a week. and then opportunistic sessions pickin up random heavy stuff, so i don't lose basic functional strength.

Torn between 6 to 12 and daily intuitive. Went with the freestyle because its what I like to run the most coming from a crossfit background just striving for gpp.

Ive been doing shorter term plans (4-12 weeks) to focus on specifics , but I started Iron Cardio a couple months ago and now I’m starting to have enough sessions in to get a decent gauge of my progress among the different variations. Nice well-rounded improvements so far.

The giant is the first program I’ve stuck to longer than a month. I like doing the same thing and just looking at a notepad to make tick marks as I do sets. No math, no reviewing plans, same stuff for a month then move on.

Back
Top Bottom