all posts post new thread

Barbell Powerlifting Squat in Olympic Shoes?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@ClaudeR, the Inman Mile is, so far as I'm aware, the only weight lifting event on the books that has never been completed. In principle, you carry 150% bodyweight for a mile without putting it down. In reality, no one has ever completed it, including Mr. Inman, the fellow who invented it. Records are kept for distance, using 150% bodyweight. In my case, at 70 kg, I carried 105 kg.

I went 113 meters. One person has managed 800 meters, I believe, but because records are kept for both 5 year age groups and 5 kg weight classes, I hold the record for mine.

-S-

@Steve Freides a lot of competitors in 'raw/classic' comps wear heeled squat shoes and squat low bar

Examples would be dan green, stephen manuel and tom martin- all with massive squats - eg tom martin below

Instagram post by Tom Martin • Nov 13, 2017 at 2:56am UTC

Whether its right or not is somewhat on personal build and strengths. Think peoples idea of squatting flat footed and low bar has been heavily influenced by geared lifters but a squat suit allows sitting back more due to support and most of those feds don't follow their own rules on depth unfortunately.

Whilst it's just opinion I would say in Britain a lot of BDFPA or GBPF lifters use squat shoes as depth is judged very strictly.

@krg, I trained for it a few years back. It was the talk of our neighborhood, since I did a lot of my training on the local streets.

I had a set of squat stands in the back yard, covered with a tarp. I would vary the weight and vary the distance. I find the most challenging thing to be grip, and if you want to have fun, just put a bar on your back with something light, e.g., a pair of 10's or 25's, and start walking. It gets old pretty quickly.

My approach to building up distance was a sort of interval approach - I'd walk, I'd get tired, I'd put the bar down, I'd rest, I'd pick the bar up and put it on my back again, and I'd walk some more. Many days I managed to cover between 1/2 mile and a mile that way with a relatively light weight. Then on other days, I'd use competition weight and just walk up and down our driveway, which is about 50 meters long, for a few lengths. Turning around is also something special. :)

I used a simple clean, jerk, and lower behind the neck to get the bar into position with very light weights. When the weight got heavier, I'd Steinborn squat it up. (Stand the bar up on end, and tilt it and yourself until it's on your shoulders.) And after that, squat stands.

-S-

has anyone ever worn Olympic lifting shoes and used a high bar placement for their squat in a powerlifting training and then also in meet
What is your current squat stance? I recommend using olympic shoes up to and including a medium stance squat, and raw or single ply. I do not recommend them for wide stance or multi-ply, as the strength groove is so much different.

What do you define as high bar? For me, low bar is when the bar rests in the groove created by pulling your shoulders under the bar.

I used to compete with the lowbar/olympic shoe/medium stance. The thing I loved most about the olympic shoes was the strap going across the foot - helps you feel secure through all phases of the lift.

I also loved the olympic shoe for deadlifting and bench pressing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom