all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Program for cyclist with sore legs!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Steve Freides

I think this is a great suggestion. I don't have a barbell though, only single 16, 24, 32 and 40 bells, plus a chin up bar. Can you suggest s similar concept with this equipment?

DMPM FTW!

The Dan Martin Program Minimum is a great and flexible template. It’s my go to during MTB season.

Alternate a set of swings with push ups, goblet squat, and row. Finish it all with a suitcase carry.

The classic, five sets of 10-15 swings, descend the reps of the other moves from 5 to 1.

Other set and rep schemes could be used. Different exercises could be used, like a press or pull up. Other things could be added as needed, like planks, or TRX pulls.

Lots of discussion on this versatile method at Dan John’s forum.

@Steve Freides

I think this is a great suggestion. I don't have a barbell though, only single 16, 24, 32 and 40 bells, plus a chin up bar. Can you suggest s similar concept with this equipment?
There are too many options to list them all. A big pull and a big push. You do a lot of leg exercise, so keep that volume low.

One possibility: The ROP pressing program (your push) and deadlift your 32 in one hand and your 40 in the other for a couple of sets, no more, touching lightly at the bottom to keep the time under tension high and your form good, and switching which weight is in each hand for the second set.

Optional - add pullups as the ROP suggests.

Optional - instead of deadlifting two bells, work on your one-legged DL with one or two kettlebells. Or work on your pistol. Or work your two-bell front squat, again two sets and switching bells for the second set.

Optional - one-arm pushups instead of presses.

Aim for strength-training, i.e., pick variations of things that don't allow more than 10 reps, and do 5's.

-S-

strength-training, i.e., pick variations of things that don't allow more than 10 reps, and do 5's.

That's a great definition of how to find the right regression/progression.

A very common scenario for me as a personal trainer having mostly female clients is to find a push-up progression that is effective to use in getting stronger. We start on the wall if necessary, doing a tricep push-up (elbows next to ribcage, not out to the sides), shoulders held down anti-shrugged, full body tension, lowering down and pushing back up in a slow, controlled push-up. Usually we can start on a stack of steps about 4 feet high or slightly lower, stacked against the wall. We find a height that is difficult to do 5, but do-able, and do 5 sets of 5. The next time, progress down just a bit. Another variation is putting a barbell in the rack at just the right height.

So I usually explain to them to find the elevation that is challenging but do-able, but I like yours better: "pick variations of things that don't allow more than 10 reps, and do 5". Thanks!

Thank you, @Anna C.

I think an experienced trainee can be more flexible and, indeed, @Myren Fu's recent blog, My Journey to the Beast: Pressing a 48kg Kettlebell | StrongFirst, makes the point that a higher weight and fewer repetitions - e.g., 3's with a 5RM weight - can be what's needed at times. But even knowing that, doing 5's with an 8-10RM weight is a time-tested strategy for strength.

Another approach that can work for a more advanced trainee is building up volume with a 1RM effort, e.g., I've been working on a pushup variation that, a month or two ago, I could only manage for perhaps 1-3 singles in total for a day, every other day, and just did a 1-2-3 ladder with it today. I got there by waving, but overall increasing, my volume of singles and then singles and doubles.

But perhaps I cloud the issue. 5's, and ladders to 5 consistently deliver results.

-S-

There are too many options to list them all. A big pull and a big push. You do a lot of leg exercise, so keep that volume low.

One possibility: The ROP pressing program (your push) and deadlift your 32 in one hand and your 40 in the other for a couple of sets, no more, touching lightly at the bottom to keep the time under tension high and your form good, and switching which weight is in each hand for the second set.

Optional - add pullups as the ROP suggests.

Optional - instead of deadlifting two bells, work on your one-legged DL with one or two kettlebells. Or work on your pistol. Or work your two-bell front squat, again two sets and switching bells for the second set.

Optional - one-arm pushups instead of presses.

Aim for strength-training, i.e., pick variations of things that don't allow more than 10 reps, and do 5's.

-S-
I love the suggestions, but would I be lacking certain movements and leaving strength gaps doing, for example, clean and press ladders plus single leg deadlifts? With SS, you hinge, lunge, squat, work rotational anti rotational strength etc etc. I'm leaning towards C+P and SLDL. Another option I am considering is farmers walks with the heaviest bells I have. Not sure if you think those would suit

Thanks again!

@Dayz, if you look at my training logs, you'll see the title is

1APU, DL

for weeks on end. I don't consider myself lacking, or having strength gaps or anything else along those lines. I throw in a few other things for variety, for fun, from time to time, choosing from movements I can do that I enjoy doing. (Everyone's variety movements will be different. Mine are skin-the-cat on the rings and windmills with a kettlebell, and some sprinting and some jogging.)

If you're trying to become generally stronger in a way that doesn't interfere with your chosen sport, not only do you not need to be "complete," you really don't want it. Find what helps, a thing or two, do that, and be done with strength training. Let your chosen sport be your focus, your goal, not being a complete strength trainee.

-S-

@Dayz, if you look at my training logs, you'll see the title is

1APU, DL

for weeks on end. I don't consider myself lacking, or having strength gaps or anything else along those lines. I throw in a few other things for variety, for fun, from time to time, choosing from movements I can do that I enjoy doing. (Everyone's variety movements will be different. Mine are skin-the-cat on the rings and windmills with a kettlebell, and some sprinting and some jogging.)

If you're trying to become generally stronger in a way that doesn't interfere with your chosen sport, not only do you not need to be "complete," you really don't want it. Find what helps, a thing or two, do that, and be done with strength training. Let your chosen sport be your focus, your goal, not being a complete strength trainee.

-S-
Thank you. Great insights. I think I will pursue C+P and bulgarian split squats for some time and see how that goes.

Thank you for the shout out @Steve Freides . @Dayz I used to race competitively at a high level overseas on bikes and I train 100-160km per session for 5-6 sessions per week.

In my honest opinion, anything above 5 is going to cause too much inflammation and soreness. I found that bodyweight strength training caused the least soreness (if any) f a it most likely will suit you.

If I were you, I would opt for the following routine.

4 x 5-6reps
1a) tuck front lever pulls
1b) handstand push ups

4 x 5-6 reps
2a) Weighted chin ups
2b) Pseudo Planche Push Ups

3) swings / pistols
10x10 emom / 12 x 2/sd emom

Steve Freides said:
I think an experienced trainee can be more flexible and, indeed, @Myren Fu's recent blog, My Journey to the Beast: Pressing a 48kg Kettlebell | StrongFirst, makes the point that a higher weight and fewer repetitions - e.g., 3's with a 5RM weight - can be what's needed at times. But even knowing that, doing 5's with an 8-10RM weight is a time-tested strategy for strength.

Another approach that can work for a more advanced trainee is building up volume with a 1RM effort, e.g., I've been working on a pushup variation that, a month or two ago, I could only manage for perhaps 1-3 singles in total for a day, every other day, and just did a 1-2-3 ladder with it today. I got there by waving, but overall increasing, my volume of singles and then singles and doubles.

But perhaps I cloud the issue. 5's, and ladders to 5 consistently deliver results.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom