all posts post new thread

Barbell programming for sports performance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

legsfordays

Level 1 Valued Member
First time poster here, hello everybody.
i've been reading the forums for a long time and decided to post for the first time now.
I've read a lot of Pavel's books (and they're worth their weight in gold) so i have a general idea on how to make a program. I have read Easy Strength but it left me with a bunch of questions. So, i have a question regarding programming for inseason ice hockey training.

A bit of backround: I play ice hockey 4-6 times a week during season. Intensity varies. I practice my lifts (front squat, sumo deadlift, bench, OHP, chinup) 1-3 times a week, heavy and i try to stay as fresh as possible. I practice 2-3 lifts a session, third lift being chinups.
What kind of sequence of lifts during the week(s) would be good and should i lift on the days i play?

Thanks in advance. I love the articles and the content on the forums here.

A bit of backround: I play ice hockey 4-6 times a week during season. Intensity varies. I practice my lifts (front squat, sumo deadlift, bench, OHP, chinup) 1-3 times a week, heavy and i try to stay as fresh as possible. I practice 2-3 lifts a session, third lift being chinups.
What kind of sequence of lifts during the week(s) would be good and should i lift on the days i play?

@legsfordays , welcome.

I have experience playing beach volleyball 3-7 days a week along with lifting weights, my advice is based on the theory from Easy Strength, Intervention, and various other Pavel & Dan John books, and of course my own experience.

Two routes that see - the Easy Strength and the Even Easier Strength

Easy Strength (what I did last year):
2-3 session a week, 1-2 lifts (deadlift and some sort of press or TGU is a good place to start) in ES rep schemes. Keep the same lifts for a while and don't rotate lifts too much. I did it for a while a year ago with good results. I did 10 deadlifts and three 1-2-3 ladders of bench press for two weeks, than ETK PM for two weeks, repeat. If you don't recover well enough in-season cut the volume in about half from your off-season volume. Always err on the side of less. I have no problem lifting heavy in small volume on days I play, I actually feel better when doing so. But YMMV, so see how you respond to it. Keep a log and go over it once in a while.

Even Easier Strength (what I did this year)
Daily (or near daily) sessions, Justa's singles deadlifts and/or bent press/TGU, S&S... I did Justa's singles with bent press or hands&thighs lift (1/4 DL) with good results. I did some swings for a while but found it hard (for me) to recover from both 7 hours of daily beach volleyball and swinging hard.

It is a bit hard for me to compare based on results since last year I played competitive and not this year, and the general stronger feeling I have today is attributed to the last year of consistent and moderate training more than the specifics of training.

Since you are used to train 1-3 times a week I would suggest you'll take the ES route and not change training habits while in-season. Focus on ice-hockey, lift as assistance.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely go with ES. I'm kind of scared of dropping front squats though. I'm thinking of deadlifting and squatting once a week, maybe twice one or the other if i feel like lifting thrice a week. I have been doing the same lifts for a long time now and haven't felt the need to rotate anything.

During last winter i tried to do S&S in-season, and while TGU's were fine, swings were too taxing (i did 5x10). I just couldn't recover. When i switched to low-volume barbell training again i felt amazing.

I play ice hockey 4-6 times a week during season. Intensity varies. I practice my lifts (front squat, sumo deadlift, bench, OHP, chinup) 1-3 times a week, heavy and i try to stay as fresh as possible. I practice 2-3 lifts a session, third lift being chinups.

In Season Training

Playing a sports is physically demanding. The last thing you want to do is to place an even greater demand on yourself that doesn't allow you to recovery and play your best.

So, the primary purpose of In Season Training is to maintain Limit Strength and Power without compromising your play time.

One of the most effective method of maintaining Limit Strength and Power your season is...

Cluster Sets

Cluster Sets are Sets within a Set, so to speak.

Set of 6 Rep Example

Traditional Training Set of 6 Reps:
This Set of Repetition would be performed for 6 Continuous Repetition without stopping or resting between Repetitions.

The issue with Traditional Training Sets is that with each successive Repetition; Limit Strength, Power and
Speed dramatically decrease.

Traditional Training Set can be an effective method of increasing Strength. However, performing Traditional Training Set decrease Power and Speed Development.

Cluster Training Set of 6 Repetitions: The Set of Repetition with Cluster Training have Sets within this Set of 6 Repetitions.

For your Cluster Training, you'd take you Personal Best Traditional Set 6, breaking it down into Sub-Sets; these are Sets within the Set.

Let say, you Personal Best Traditional Consecutive Set of 6 Repetition in a Squat is 300 lbs X 6.

Here how it works...

Squat Cluster Training Set of 6 Example:

1) 300 X 2 Repetitions, rest 15 to 40 seconds, then...

2) 300 X 2 Repetitions, rest 15 to 40 seconds, then...

3 300 X 2 Repetitions, rest 15 to 40 seconds. This completes your Cluster Set of 6 Repetitions.

4) Rest 2 to 3 minutes, then repeat the Cluster Training Set of 6 Repetition above.

5) Total Number of Set: In the above program, 4 - 6 Sets.

This Completes your Squat Cluster Training.

The Benefit of Cluster Training For In Season Sports

1) ATP (Adenosine Triphasphate) is the fuel that drives Limit Strength, Power and Speed. ATP is depleted with in approximately 15 seconds.

Once ATP is depleted Fast Twitch Type IIa and "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber are exhausted. Your Limit Strength, Power and Speed drop like a rock, through the floor.

You are no longer working Explosive Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber.

That is the bad new. Now here is the good news...

2) Research (Dr Greg Haff) found that almost 80% of ATP is restored to muscle cells in 15 to 40 seconds.

By taking short rest with Custer Training Sets refuels Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber. This allows you to exert more Force (Limit Strength, Power and Speed) in the following Cluster Training Sets.

This method ensure that you are working and developing the Explosive Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber.

3) Better Recovery: Cluster Training Sets allows you to maintain or increase your Training volume in an In Season Sport, without overtraining.

Your are able to maintain Limit Strength, Power, and Speed; possibly minutely increasing it with Cluster Training Sets during an In Season Sport.

Lifting Days

1) Lifting on the day you play isn't recommended. The focus on game day is on the game.

2) Lifting on Practice Days is fine as long as you provide enough time separation between your Strength Training and Practice Sessions.

Example:

1) Morning Strength Training Session.

2) Afternoon Practice Session.

3) Lifting on day you don't have Practice Sessions is another options.

Kenny Croxdale

Hmm, Cluster Sets sounds a bit like A+A...

I've been reading "Training for the New Alpinism" and I think the principles are really sound for putting together a program that has an "in-season" component. Here are some general ideas combined with some StrongFirst philosophies I've put together for myself that I am putting into practice over the next year.

Recover Phase
1-3 weeks (light to no activity)
Transition Phase
4-8 weeks
>10 reps strength @ <60% (10-20%)
<30min endurance @ zone 1 (80-90%)
Base Phase
8-20 weeks
3-8 reps strength @ 60-80% (10-20%)
20-60min endurance @ zone 1-2 (80-90%)
Peak Phase
4-8 weeks
<5 reps strength @ 70-90%(10-15%)
>20reps strength endurance @ 20-40% (10-15%)
>40min endurance @ zone 1-3 (50-70%)
Intervals @ zone 4-5 (10-20%)
Compete Phase
4-20 weeks
1-3 reps strength @ 70-80% (10-20%)
Intervals @ Zone 3-5 (20-30%)
Recovery endurance (50-70%)

First time poster here, hello everybody.
i've been reading the forums for a long time and decided to post for the first time now.
I've read a lot of Pavel's books (and they're worth their weight in gold) so i have a general idea on how to make a program. I have read Easy Strength but it left me with a bunch of questions. So, i have a question regarding programming for inseason ice hockey training.

Thanks in advance. I love the articles and the content on the forums here.

Are you trying to do anything specific or are there performance characteristics you are wanting to directly improve? Endurance, acceleration, more injury resistant? A little more info re an average game day and practice/off day would be nice. How blasted to you feel after a game?

During season, no lifting on days you play unless with very light weight just to get loose or some jumprope. However, at 4-6 days/week of active competition it won't leave much time for any sort of comprehensive program, so this recommendation is open to amendment depending on how you feel.

With that kind of schedule I'd be tempted to train after the game and take the entire next day off when possible, limited to lots of stretching and mobility. Avoiding injury would be a major factor in any routine I might do in season, so staying loose is a big deal.

Your basic lift selection is solid, I'd consider adding bent rows or some other form of row. but otherwise all the basics are covered.

If low volume barbell felt good, I'd stick with that. In fact I would be careful doing anything else. If you need more muscular endurance I'd consider adding volume once every week and a half or so, but if you have no complaints keep on with the low volume. Your ice time probably supplies plenty of high volume anyway.

Hmm, Cluster Sets sounds a bit like A+A...

And Westside dynamic effort method, and Siff and Verkhoshansky's repeat effort method for explosive strength (which WSB-DE is based on)...

Seems that most power training methods are based on... optimal power generation and recovery :rolleyes:...
The formulation of A+A helps to give a better understanding of why power training is such an effective "conditioning" tool.

Are you trying to do anything specific or are there performance characteristics you are wanting to directly improve? Endurance, acceleration, more injury resistant? A little more info re an average game day and practice/off day would be nice. How blasted to you feel after a game?

Sorry i didn't really make my goal clear. I'm trying to keep my strength levels where they are as of now and maybe work on power/acceleration. My best front squat is 150kg, and bench 130kg. I have never really maxed since i don't really believe in maxing. I just try to go for "sort of maxes". I don't really think i would get any faster with more strength. I could be wrong though.
In the end of the week i usually feel pretty blasted (thursday - friday) when i have already played for like 4-5hours that week but early in the week i feel just fine.

I highly appreciate everyone's replies!

I recently picked up "New Functional Training for Sports 2nd Edition" by Mike Boyle. Boyle has worked extensively with hockey during his career. Although I have just started the book one thing that stands out is his use of single-leg work. In fact, with many of his trainees the only bilateral movement he uses is the trap bar deadlift once a week. Perhaps some unilateral work would be in order in-season since the load would be less and the act of skating has a decent amount of unilateral action. I know there certainly are exceptions.

Sorry i didn't really make my goal clear. I'm trying to keep my strength levels where they are as of now and maybe work on power/acceleration. My best front squat is 150kg, and bench 130kg. I have never really maxed since i don't really believe in maxing. I just try to go for "sort of maxes". I don't really think i would get any faster with more strength. I could be wrong though.
In the end of the week i usually feel pretty blasted (thursday - friday) when i have already played for like 4-5hours that week but early in the week i feel just fine.

I highly appreciate everyone's replies!

Sprint drills, maybe some plyo and or isometrics. I agree, more strength is unlikely to make you any faster. I'd keep doing the bar work you already do as long as you feel pretty fresh overall. Those are nice numbers.

I recently picked up "New Functional Training for Sports 2nd Edition" by Mike Boyle. Boyle has worked extensively with hockey during his career. Although I have just started the book one thing that stands out is his use of single-leg work. In fact, with many of his trainees the only bilateral movement he uses is the trap bar deadlift once a week. Perhaps some unilateral work would be in order in-season since the load would be less and the act of skating has a decent amount of unilateral action. I know there certainly are exceptions.

Thanks for the reply.

I've looked into Mr.Boyle's work. His whole point is basically that skating is done with one leg at a time, why not train one leg at a time. That said, i'm not really sure if doing unilateral work would do any good other than being lighter. I'm pretty sure that i couldn't hold on to my squat/deadlift numbers (strength levels) if i did single-leg work.

That's just coming out of my own experience, i did single-leg work for few months and while doing front or back squats drive up your one-leg squat numbers, it doesn't work other way around. Atleast it didn't for me.

Sorry i didn't really make my goal clear. I'm trying to keep my strength levels where they are as of now and maybe work on power/acceleration.

In Season Hockey

Yes, you focus with In Season Hockey need be on Explosive Strength.

Cluster Set Training during an In Season Hockey allows you to maintain, possibly increase your Explosive Power with shorter training session and a method the promotes recovery.

My best front squat is 150kg, and bench 130kg. I have never really maxed since i don't really believe in maxing. I just try to go for "sort of maxes". I don't really think i would get any faster with more strength. I could be wrong though.

The Foundation of Power and Speed

Strength is the foundation on which Power and Speed are built.

Initially, the most effective method for Novice and Intermediate Athletes to increase Power and/or Speed it to increase Limit Strength.

However, once an athlete advance past the Novice and into Intermediate Strength level, training solely is counter productive.

Thus, there is some validity to...

"Lifting Heavy Weights Makes You Slower"

What occur with Heavy Lifting only is a conversion of "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber that are utilized for Explosive Power to Fast Type IIa Muscle Fiber that are geared more for Limit Strength 1 Repetition Max Effort Movement.

The end result is an increase in Limit Strength and a decrease in Power and Speed.

To reiterate, this isn't true with Novice and Intermediate Strength Athletes. It will occur with Advance Strength Athletes.

Now let's look at the definition of...

Power

Power= Force (Strength) X Acceleration (Speed)

The most effective way of increasing Power is to increase both Strength and Speed.

Mathematical Example

Let's define Strength and Speed as number, giving each a value of 2.

Thus, if you have your Strength Level is 2 and your Speed Level is 2 that would equate to your Power Value being...2 X 2 = 4

However, if we slightly increase your Limit Strength to 3 and increase your Speed to 3 you Power Value would equate to 3 X 3 = 9! You have doubled your Power Output

Some of the greatest Power Outputs measured are with...

Olympic Lifters

Their Power Outputs have been measured at around 52 watts per kilo of body; some of the highest recorded.

Olympic Lifters are the Poster Children for...

Conjugate Training

This method train two different type of Strength at one time.

Olympic Lifter Conjugate Method employs Heavy Limit Strength Training Exercises such as: Squats, Presses, and Deadlifts combined with Power/Speed Training Olympic Movements.

Westside Training For Powerlifting

The derivative of this program is build on the Conjugate Training Method employed by Olympic Lifters.

Dr Michael Stone

Stone is a leading Researcher and Strength Coach; at one time a coach at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

When quizzed about what American Olympic Lifters (Power Athletes) need to do to become more competitive in the world, Stone replied without hesitation, "They need to get Stronger".

The Take Home Message

Athlete who want to increase Power and Speed, need to not only lay the foundation with Strength Training but also continue to implement Limit Strength Training into their program along with Power and Speed Training.

Doing so will optimize you Power and Speed.

Cluster Set Training Post Game

Cluster Set Training after you games is an effective method for recovery and maintaining Power.

The key is...

Autoregulation

In a post game "Blasted" state,

1) Work with lower training load percentages that are easy.

2) Keep your Cluster Power Training Sessions short.

3) Focus on being Explosive with each lift.

Post game training session fall into the category of...

"Active Recovery"

Research shows that light training after strenuous exercise ensure faster recovery compared to "Passive Recovery", sitting around and doing nothing.

However, the biggest problem for athletes is they tend to want to push it too much. Pushing it too hard after being "Blasted" lead to slower recovery.

The focus need to be on training with light easy load. This promotes faster recovery.

Kenny Croxdale

In Season Hockey

Yes, you focus with In Season Hockey need be on Explosive Strength.

Cluster Set Training during an In Season Hockey allows you to maintain, possibly increase your Explosive Power with shorter training session and a method the promotes recovery.

The Foundation of Power and Speed

Strength is the foundation on which Power and Speed are built.

Initially, the most effective method for Novice and Intermediate Athletes to increase Power and/or Speed it to increase Limit Strength.

However, once an athlete advance past the Novice and into Intermediate Strength level, training solely is counter productive.

Thus, there is some validity to...

"Lifting Heavy Weights Makes You Slower"

What occur with Heavy Lifting only is a conversion of "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber that are utilized for Explosive Power to Fast Type IIa Muscle Fiber that are geared more for Limit Strength 1 Repetition Max Effort Movement.

The end result is an increase in Limit Strength and a decrease in Power and Speed.

To reiterate, this isn't true with Novice and Intermediate Strength Athletes. It will occur with Advance Strength Athletes.

Now let's look at the definition of...

Power

Power= Force (Strength) X Acceleration (Speed)

The most effective way of increasing Power is to increase both Strength and Speed.

Mathematical Example

Let's define Strength and Speed as number, giving each a value of 2.

Thus, if you have your Strength Level is 2 and your Speed Level is 2 that would equate to your Power Value being...2 X 2 = 4

However, if we slightly increase your Limit Strength to 3 and increase your Speed to 3 you Power Value would equate to 3 X 3 = 9! You have doubled your Power Output

Some of the greatest Power Outputs measured are with...

Olympic Lifters

Their Power Outputs have been measured at around 52 watts per kilo of body; some of the highest recorded.

Olympic Lifters are the Poster Children for...

Conjugate Training

This method train two different type of Strength at one time.

Olympic Lifter Conjugate Method employs Heavy Limit Strength Training Exercises such as: Squats, Presses, and Deadlifts combined with Power/Speed Training Olympic Movements.

Westside Training For Powerlifting

The derivative of this program is build on the Conjugate Training Method employed by Olympic Lifters.

Dr Michael Stone

Stone is a leading Researcher and Strength Coach; at one time a coach at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

When quizzed about what American Olympic Lifters (Power Athletes) need to do to become more competitive in the world, Stone replied without hesitation, "They need to get Stronger".

The Take Home Message

Athlete who want to increase Power and Speed, need to not only lay the foundation with Strength Training but also continue to implement Limit Strength Training into their program along with Power and Speed Training.

Doing so will optimize you Power and Speed.

Cluster Set Training Post Game

Cluster Set Training after you games is an effective method for recovery and maintaining Power.

The key is...

Autoregulation

In a post game "Blasted" state,

1) Work with lower training load percentages that are easy.

2) Keep your Cluster Power Training Sessions short.

3) Focus on being Explosive with each lift.

Post game training session fall into the category of...

"Active Recovery"

Research shows that light training after strenuous exercise ensure faster recovery compared to "Passive Recovery", sitting around and doing nothing.

However, the biggest problem for athletes is they tend to want to push it too much. Pushing it too hard after being "Blasted" lead to slower recovery.

The focus need to be on training with light easy load. This promotes faster recovery.

Kenny Croxdale

Thanks for the info Kenny, very helpful insight. I might try out the cluster training thing.

Do you guys think the sequence of training mentioned in Easy Strength by Dan John makes sense for me with my schedule? (First training day 3x3 heavy, second 5x2 heavier, 2x5 light, 6x1 "sort of max", 5-3-2 moderate).

Last winter i did training according to that but i found out that "sort of max" days sometimes were too taxing so instead of those i did 5x2 heavy.
I read bunch of dan john's excellent articles after i posted here and he tells us that sometimes something (ES) works so well we stop doing it and do something else, which might be my case here :).

Thanks for the info Kenny, very helpful insight. I might try out the cluster training thing.

Do you guys think the sequence of training mentioned in Easy Strength by Dan John makes sense for me with my schedule? (First training day 3x3 heavy, second 5x2 heavier, 2x5 light, 6x1 "sort of max", 5-3-2 moderate).

Last winter i did training according to that but i found out that "sort of max" days sometimes were too taxing so instead of those i did 5x2 heavy.
I read bunch of dan john's excellent articles after i posted here and he tells us that sometimes something (ES) works so well we stop doing it and do something else, which might be my case here :).

Don't overthink it. Go by feel at the session and monitor recovery and you performace on the ice

Easy Strength is a golden mine, imho the best book on the subject. I recommend to read it again, and again, and again.

Second book I would recommend is Science of Sport Training by Thomas Kurz.

One thing about Mike Boyle and his de-emphasis of bilateral squats: hockey players tend to have jacked up hips. If you have a solid squat pattern then go ahead, but from the awkward hip work involved in high power skating, a lot of hockey players won't have a good squat pattern. Plus, you'll tend to already have pretty tight hip flexors since you rarely ever fully extend while on the ice.

+1 Easy strength. I completed a cycle of ES this summer during my cricket season and fitted it around training twice a week and playing 1-2 times a week over a 6 month period. I kept DKB Front squats as a warm up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom