all posts post new thread

Barbell Programming the deadlift and KB press together and PTTP plate problem

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
Each winter I join a regular gym to get my double bodyweight deadlift back (145 KG). At almost 50 and with a sedentary job this is a challenge for me. It takes a few weeks usually. This year I want to make further gains. I will train Jan to Feb and test my PR at the end of Feb.

I took the SF barbell user course this weekend, and it confirmed what I thought, as well as taught me a few new things. My DL if OK but my lack of thoratic mobility makes proper barbell press form challenging. High bar squat was OK but low bar squat was also problematic. I much prefer double KB front squats to barbell squatting. I think I have a DL build.

Therefore, I want to follow PTTP for DL only to see where that takes me but I am wondering how I would program DL and KB press as the press option together. I think I can commit to four days a week, weekdays only for two months. The priority is the deadlift. I want to be out of the gym in an hour. I consider my press weaker relatively to my DL. Ladders are good enough for me.

I need the gym to DL but can do KB press at home.
I am thinking the following:

Deadlift M T (Wed rest) TH FRI
KB press M W Fri wave of volume doing ladders.
Weekend rest.

Based on my previous experience, weekdaily KB press ladders is too much, so PTTP template does not work for KB press for me, but I can tolerate DL three days a week if I wave the volume. It is not the peak time for work for me. The other problem is that the barbell plates at the commercial gym are five pounds at the smallest, which is the recommended increase in PTTP, which would result in an asymetric load. Would that be an issue at such a small weight if my PR is 145 KG.

Although double bodyweight is not a beginner, I want to clean up and rebuild my form after taking the course, so I am OK with regressing as an investment. However, I would be happy with 150 KG when I am done. Cleaning up the form is a greater priority than ambitious gains right now.

I suspect I will make gains for two or three weeks and then stall so the PTTP will go to ladders, so I will end up with three days a week of KB press ladders and PTTP DL ladders, which I would probably then program MWF. I will do this if I feel beat up after a week or two as recommended in PTTP anyway.

My press is lagging so a heavy, low volume program like soju and tuba does not make sense. However, I could do something like 50 percent of max reps in repeat sets or some other basic press programming. I am not sure if I can handle both. However, I think I need to build up volume and do more work for the press. I need to work on the clean for my left hand as well.

Not sure how to put this together. Any recommendations welcome.

Last edited:
Someone recently mentioned a "Daily Dose Deadlift"-style template but for pressing: 2 x 5 reps with you 8-10RM bell daily, and every 7th training day do 2-3 sets with a heavier bell you can do at least 1 rep with. So hanging out mostly in your 75% RM range, occasionally going heavier. Eventually the heavy bell you will be able to do a comfortable 2 x 5 with, at which point that is your "daily grinder" bell.

The main reason that ladders and other volume-building formats are so effective for improving your KB press is because of the large steps in weight. Press ladders can get brutal when you get up to higher volumes at the end of the cycle.

If that ain't your thing, then you could consider using a strength tool you can micro-load, so you can follow a similar set/rep/frequency format as your PTTP DL's

Barbell (5lb increments) or adjustable dumbbells (2.5lb increments) may work the best in this format

Just something to consider.

Several have followed a DDD template for the press - I believe I originally suggested it to @pet' and you can probably find that thread here.

I have simply substituted the kettlebell press for the barbell side press in PTTP and had good results that way as well. It is, of course, much less volume than many pressing programs, but it might be worth a try for you. Take an 8-10RM kettlebell press weight and do it for 2 sets of 5 - no need to lower the weight for the second set. And if your press weight and kettlebell selection at home allows it, go heavier but for fewer reps some of the time, perhaps 1 day per week.

-S-

Hector G has a great program for this that wasn't too expensive last time I checked. I think it's called "strength plan 001"

The main reason that ladders and other volume-building formats are so effective for improving your KB press is because of the large steps in weight. Press ladders can get brutal when you get up to higher volumes at the end of the cycle.

If that ain't your thing, then you could consider using a strength tool you can micro-load, so you can follow a similar set/rep/frequency format as your PTTP DL's

Barbell (5lb increments) or adjustable dumbbells (2.5lb increments) may work the best in this format

Just something to consider.

I definately need ladders and have done them, I am just concerned about the Ladder and DL combo as I am not that young anymore. Good point. I have paired a KB for the main reps and a dumbell for over 90 percent RM before. I like the KB press so much better than the dumbell press. The grove feels more natural. I use the same turning motion for dumbells. I forgot the name of that type of press. I don't seem to have optimal shoulder mobility for the Barbell press according to my experience at the barbell user course.

Someone recently mentioned a "Daily Dose Deadlift"-style template but for pressing: 2 x 5 reps with you 8-10RM bell daily, and every 7th training day do 2-3 sets with a heavier bell you can do at least 1 rep with. So hanging out mostly in your 75% RM range, occasionally going heavier. Eventually the heavy bell you will be able to do a comfortable 2 x 5 with, at which point that is your "daily grinder" bell.

This might be the solution. Thank you. I keep forgetting how progress can be made with low but frequent consistent work. I need to remember the year I started S&S and did only that all winter.

This might be the solution. Thank you. I keep forgetting how progress can be made with low but frequent consistent work. I need to remember the year I started S&S and did only that all winter.
In PTTP, the focus is the deadlift, with the press just the cherry on top - a one-arm press, side press, or bent press being the best bang-for-the-buck single bell exercise (bench press probably best barbell press move, allowing for the most weight). So, many ways to do the press, but stick to the PTTP formula for deadlifts at least.

Several have followed a DDD template for the press - I believe I originally suggested it to @pet' and you can probably find that thread here.

I have simply substituted the kettlebell press for the barbell side press in PTTP and had good results that way as well. It is, of course, much less volume than many pressing programs, but it might be worth a try for you. Take an 8-10RM kettlebell press weight and do it for 2 sets of 5 - no need to lower the weight for the second set. And if your press weight and kettlebell selection at home allows it, go heavier but for fewer reps some of the time, perhaps 1 day per week.

-S-

Thank you. This is the solution. I will DL at the gym 4 times a week (and do facepulls, mobility, etc.) and can do my KB work at night at home sometimes. I have an adjustable dumbell for 85 percent and over I can use. I don't want too much ladder fatigue to affect my DL, but I want the metabolic effect of a total body workout, so this seems perfect, and simple.

In PTTP, the focus is the deadlift, with the press just the cherry on top - a one-arm press, side press, or bent press being the best bang-for-the-buck single bell exercise (bench press probably best barbell press move, allowing for the most weight). So, many ways to do the press, but stick to the PTTP formula for deadlifts at least.

Perfect because the DL is the priority. I just want a full body workout and some press practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom