all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP 2 day a week

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
So after trying Ed Coan program I've realised that A: I don't have enough food in the cupboards B: I can't allocate 10 sleep in a week night. Going to use a 2 day week PTTP with DL and military press. I've had hassle with my shoulder in the past with BP and I dont want to flare it up. I'm going to run it over 8 sessions using the linear wave cycle. I can't compete in the TSC in April offiically but I'll test my numbers in an SFG the week beforehand to see how I fare. This will give me some insight into how to prepare for August.
I've read PTTP over the weekend and want to work on some of the techniques..
Has anyone run PTTP recently??

PTTP is designed for training every day or almost every day, much like S&S. It wouldn't be my first choice for 2 times a week.

A one-armed press makes a very nice pairing with the barbell deadlift - a better pairing, IMHO, unless you have specific reasons for a two-handed press. I am assuming you mean to do the barbell military press.

If you only have two days a week, here's a very simple suggestion - take the weekly volume, about 50 lifts per week, and divide it up into two days of differing volume, e.g., a 35-rep day and a 15-rep day. Use the Bear protocol for both, i.e., make the 3rd and further sets lighter than your second set (which is supposed to be lighter than your first set).

-S-

Thanks for that S. I had looked at buying a barbell for the garage as the biggest obsatcle for me is having to drive back into town at 9 to go to the gym. I plan to use S and S on the other days of the week along with FPP. I will read up on the bear protocol and give that a whirl for 8 sessions and see where I'm at
P.s Is PTTP 2.0 template contained in PTTP professional???
Conor

@conor78 , as many of my colleagues noted above, PTTP! twice a week is not going to work.

PTTP twice a week + S&S twice a week - yes, valid option. If you have met at least "Simple" standards.

Hello,

PTTP twice a week + S&S twice a week - yes, valid option. If you have met at least "Simple" standards.
Sure it is a stupid question but, would such a program tend to a slight lack of "conditioning" due to only 2 swings session (in S&S) a week ?

Or do you consider that swings at 32 twice a week is enough to maintain strong conditioning ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Or do you consider that swings at 32 twice a week is enough to maintain strong conditioning ?

No, I do not.

IMHO S&S proper (i.e. done almost daily) in general is more strength oriented program - and minimum effective conditioning dose.

Interesting. If you read Tim Ferris' 'Four hour body...' book he suggests that a much smaller 'minimum effective dose' of swings can still have significant effects.

However I guess there is 'conditioning' and there is @Pavel Macek who is in frankly awesome condition all of the time as is required by his profession.

@krg Tim writes on his blog: "75 total reps, 2-3 times a week, is the recipe." - which is 150-225 swings/week, i.e. more or less 200 swings/week when doing S&S twice a week.

Depends on the goals - for what/who. Not to huff and puff when going up the 5th floor, run 10k, or fight 3 five minutes rounds in a MMA match are quite different animals.

Hello,

This article seems to indicate your are both right:
A Kettlebell Simple & Sinister Excerpt

I quote below:
"Another issue is efficiency. Once you reach a certain volume, you hit the point of diminishing returns. The human body is a non-linear system. This means doubling your swings from 100 to 200 will not double the results—far from it. A decade ago Michael Castrogiovanni, today an SFG Team Leader, identified the swing workout that gives the most for the least: 100 swings total, three times a week.

Tim Ferriss, always dedicated to finding the minimum effective dose, discovered that as few as 150-300 weekly swings was the dose for him. A total of ten to twenty minutes of weekly swings got him a ripped six-pack and added over 100 pounds to his deadlift.

Finally, there is the big issue of leaving enough energy for other things—practicing sport skills, being ready to fulfill your duty on the battlefield, or just enjoying your day and not dragging your tail through it."

Then, as always, it depends on the goal one has !

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' Exactly. I would like to add: our MMA fighters do swings 2-3 times week, but - their main sport specific conditioning is MMA, practiced almost daily.

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
I guess the MMA programming is something more or less like this one :
S&C Training for MMA With Simple & Sinister

Then I think we could have something like:
=> if swings are your only conditioning exercise > daily / almost daily (S&S like)
=> otherwise > adapt swing quantity in function of the specifics or doing then as "assistance" exercise.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I would still add walks with your wife in the park, woods, mountains :)

Swings are great, but "swings only" is kind of sad life, right?

Hello,

Swings as a GPP for hiking in the wounds with wife, carrying stuff for two is the right spot.

So, yes you are right ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

She really enjoys walking...but without carrying anything (or as light as she can because she knows I can carry for both of us). Mine is not a STRONG SFG2/SFL, unfortunately. Sometimes I would like to ! :) @Pavel Macek you are pretty lucky !

Next time I come to Prague with her, I take a course at KB5 with both of you !

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Steve Freides - why do you feel the one armed press makes a better pairing than the traditional barbell military press?
Two reasons: the one-armed press is less load on the lower back while the barbell or double kettlebell versions can fatigue a lumbar spine enough to make heavy deadlifts afterwards a least somewhat riskier, and; as with the one-armed swing, there is are good things in core stability - anti-rotation, we've been calling it here of late - that one misses out on when the load is balanced side-to-side. The one-armed overhead press combined with the two-armed heavy deadlift is a great, minimalist combination, IMHO, addressing many physical attributes related to strength in a minimum of time.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom