all posts post new thread

Barbell PttP in the wild

All of my training is influenced by the generalized discussions of cycling and tension found in Power to the People.

Those basic principles have taught me so much in Simple&Sinister, Quick and the Dead, and everything else I've practiced since.

I believe it should be required reading, and rereading.

It is an incredibly important discourse on properly putting one foot in front of the other, in one's training.

Last edited:
I do believe Beyond Bodybuilding is self described as a sequel to Power To The People. Lots of good stuff in there, too.
PTTP professional is a great resource too if you are interested in strength more so than the power building focus of BB.

My coach has had me in a routine that looks very similar to one out of that book for a while and it works fantastic.

I ran this as the Russian Bear Protocol for 7 weeks, twice a week, using Zerchers and Military Press. I was looking for a hypertrophy program and this fit the bill. I waved the 80% back off sets from 5 to 9, then 7 to 12 throughout the 2 sessions for 2 weeks, then upped the load.

Starting next week I'm going to try PTTP, five days a week. I'll keep the working sets and back off sets the same from Mon-Fri, but to add some spice, I'll add in 80% back off sets (same as Russian Bear) just on Fridays to round out the week. I'll probably step load from week to week, but I want to see how the first week goes.

I'm not a fan of PTTP volume for deadlifts, so I swapped them out for Zerchers. I run a 'much modified' Daily Dose Deadlift 3 days a week, alternating with heavy 2HS 3 days a week, just to hit the posterior.

PttP is such a great book/program, from the focus on the techniques of generating tension to the cycling principles.

I even like the barbell side press, although I think its inclusion is largely a consequence of the self-imposed limitation of nothing other than a barbell and plates (no racks or benches) and then wanting to avoid having to teach the clean for the barbell MP.

It really is progressive strength training distilled to its essence. I basically followed PttP principles and programming from deadlifting beginner (my first cycle ended with a shaky/shaking 235lbs) to 425lbs with a regular bar, and 465lbs on a trap bar (at about 180lbs BW).

Has anyone has switched up the two lifts to something different than deadlift / side press? Just curious. I like zercher squats, overhead press. I really enjoy this type of minimal programming for strength, using a barbell.

Has anyone has switched up the two lifts to something different than deadlift / side press? Just curious. I like zercher squats, overhead press. I really enjoy this type of minimal programming for strength, using a barbell.
I've done bench/DL and military press/DL. Also I've changed the reps from 5 to 10 or 12 to include some hypertrophy, keeping everything else the same. This was productive and enjoyable

I've done long stints of:
  • Low bar squats & pull ups.

• Deadlifts & dips.

• Front squats & horizontal rows (very strict rows from the floor).

• Sumo deadlifts & incline presses.
Even presses and curls (yes, curls) can be used. They were a bit trickier, but I made it work.

It doesn't really matter which lifts you choose: it's all good.

Summer time training - Bike or run 7 days per week, alternating. PTTP Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat. In the PM I do a calisthenics programme Mon Wed Fri - chin, dip, press up, toes to bar. 5 sets each. PM Tue Thurs Sat - grip work, rower, calves. I call this crossfit. My version.

Last edited:
I’ve done deads and military press.
The barbell online course adds in squats. But I tend to need a bit more volume to progress on squats where I’m at. I’m sure it would work to a point though.

I'll add my voice to the chorus. As I've posted many times, a one-armed kettlebell military press and a two-armed barbell deadlift have been my program minimum. I walk regularly, so at a minimum that's my cardio.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom