all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

xagunos

Level 6 Valued Member
Do you find when doing minimal PTTP programs such as bench and deads leave one prone to shoulder injuries down the road? Do you guys buy into the rotator cuff/shoulder imbalances madness?

There is generally an imbalance between sides, as most of us have a side that we favor. Just be aware of this fact, and don't neglect/favor one side over the other. Listening to your body is a skill. You are more likely to damage yourself overtraining, than doing a minimal program.

PTTP is a 5 day plan. If you are training strength to supplement a sport such as wrestling, you could probably do something very minimal like bench and deadlift 2x a week and conserve your bodies resources for your priority, wrestling. Focus on those 2 lifts and really try to get the most out of them.
Try something like:
  • 3 sets of 5 reps with 60-70% of your 1 rep max (start light, build if up slow).
  • Rest 2-5 minutes between sets (stay fresh).
  • If there is a chance of failure, don't even attempt it.
  • Train success. Proper, smooth, efficient movement with full body integration is key.
  • Full-body tension: Learn to turn everything on all at once (below the neck).
  • Do this monday and thursday.
Eat good food, sleep, and take care of your conditioning with your sport. If the weights went up smooth and easy, the next week add 5lbs and repeat. It may not offer a lot of variety, but it will deliver safe, consistent results; and leave you energy to focus on your sport.

If you haven't read this already, do it now, as it is highly relevant to your situation: Preparing an MMA Fighter - StrongFirst

Answer: No.

Explanation: The way we teach deadlift and bench press at SFL heavily involves (among other things) grip and lats. Safety + performance, both.

Care to explain?
I don't buy into many notions; I have seen no evidence to support the notion to which you refer, some people's belief in it notwithstanding.

The fact that some parts of a person's body might become more developed than others doesn't mean there is an "imbalance," just an inequality. Who's to say that my pecs should be as big as a bench presser's, or my legs as big as a squatter's or as thin as a distance runner's? If there is a problem, it should be addressed.

-S-

I don't buy into many notions; I have seen no evidence to support the notion to which you refer, some people's belief in it notwithstanding.

The fact that some parts of a person's body might become more developed than others doesn't mean there is an "imbalance," just an inequality. Who's to say that my pecs should be as big as a bench presser's, or my legs as big as a squatter's or as thin as a distance runner's? If there is a problem, it should be addressed.

-S-
Pure benching or pullups can lead to rounded shoulders due to external rotator weakness. If you only do pushing for the upper body, you can get cartilage degeneration, labrum tears, osteoarthritis because the scapulae retractors are weak. If the lower back is weak, hamstring pulls are more common.

What do you find is the minimalist guide to a strong body that is bulletproof to imbalances?

Last edited:
How about Dan John's recommendation of pressing overhead, lifting off the ground and carrying weight for distance?

I don't agree. It's not benching, it's how you bench, ditto pull-ups.

Deadlift and one-arm press, the original PTTP program. Switch to Kettlebell: Simple & Sinister periodically or when you plateau.

-S-

Dan's program is essentially PTTP plus a carry; sound advice. This is what I am doing in my own training: 1-arm knows military press, barbell DL, 2-kb carry.

-S-

That being said many powerlifters argue for assistance work to compensate for the pressing (assistance done bodybuilding style). Dan John also recommends to pull twice as often (volume) as pressing to keep the shoulders happy. Pulling as in rows and pull ups.

Last edited:
I remain unconvinced. If you are pulling the bar down actively, I think it's less necessary.

-S-

Ah, @Jess Burchill, I found the thread you PM'ed me about.

Life is not symmetrical. One wants symmetry as measured in certain ways, but in other ways, it will always be impossible, hence my Zen thought.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom