all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP Structured Wave Cycle - when to start over?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Zack Kaufman

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm on my 5th week of PTTP doing deadlift and 1arm KB press. Have done 10# jumps on deadlift days using the structured wave cycle - 4 steps forward - 3 back - and it's worked just as written. Awesome. I feel great and a lot stronger.

The book says a cycle last about 12-16 workouts (which is where I'm at). Does that mean I should take 80% of my current 5RM and start the cycle all over again? Or just keep plowing ahead 4 steps forward, 3 back, basically forever.

Thanks

On PTTP I was doing a linear program and mis-calculated when I would need to reset my deadlift. I was making gains and hitting 5 rep maxes and went past 16 workouts (can’t remember details), but then I got worn out and started aching and having nagging pains.

I should have been doing 20lb jumps, which would have ended the cycle quicker and given me a bit of a deload that I didn’t realize I needed. (Probably should have been doing a wave too).

If your are on the 5th week of 5 days on/2 days off, I would consider resetting to 80% anyway.

Then, armed with your new knowledge of your current 5 rep max and how you can expect to progress in the next cycle, you can determine if a bigger jump (20lbs) would have you resetting at the proper time (as you said, every 12-16 workouts).

Maybe the wave is more forgiving than linear progress, in which case my advice may not be so helpful.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom