all posts post new thread

Bodyweight pull up bar equipment

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It has been a month. I have no pull up bar yet. A few things I did do...
I looked at door bars but then decided that the door I want to use it with is just not suitable and not high enough. Door frames tend to be shorter in Japan and while my doors are taller than 180cm, with my arms stretched up, I'm going to be close to kneeling with a door based one.
So, over the door. I am thinking DIY. I lot of knocking and confirming with a stud finder got me very confused. I drew the shape that seemed to be solid out in pencil on the wall and I can't see how it will work. Basically, the wall is quite thick and it seems like I have no studs right beside the chipboard or whatever it is behind the wall paper. Possibly they are deeper in? Maybe I'll take a photo and post it. Anyway, bit disappointed after that.
As of today, I have kind of given in and decided that I should probably get a pull up station. Wonder if I can sneak it in with out my wife seeing it :rolleyes: . My kids would be happy at least. I did look at Pull Up Mate also which someone mentioned above. It seems they are out of business?
Trying to go to the park in the meantime. They lock it annoyingly at 7pm though so I can't seem to make it very often.

Luckily my wife has gone to visit the in laws so didn't get any odd looks when the box arrived yesterday. My 2 kids 5 and 8 helped me catalog the parts and then we put it all together together... (wow. 2 togethers). Had a great time playing with all the nuts and bolts. Now I have a pull up station. Did my first 2 x 30 seconds of hanging last night. Gonna have to work up to this a bit. It doesn't rattle and is pretty sturdy so happy so far. Feels like it bends a bit under my weight so I wouldn't fancy testing its 150kg max load capacity if I am honest but looks like it should hold out for me.

The pull up bar itself is not as nice as I would like. There are no grips for shoulder width hanging and the bar is a little slim. Still it will do the trick for now. Thanks all.

Here it is.

Attachments

• 66405A40-20C2-4862-8089-C68BAA54517C.jpeg
    66405A40-20C2-4862-8089-C68BAA54517C.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1D9157C9-4C44-4113-BF6A-BF6E9F1DC3E7.jpeg
    1D9157C9-4C44-4113-BF6A-BF6E9F1DC3E7.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 23
The pull up bar itself is not as nice as I would like. There are no grips for shoulder width hanging and the bar is a little slim. Still it will do the trick for now. Thanks all.

Here it is.
Pick up some 1" PVC pipe and cut two 6" pieces. Thread some climbing rope or nylon webbing through them and around your pull-up bar, and tie a good knot. Now you have customizable shoulder width neutral grip way to hang. I learned this trick from @offwidth last year!

Pick up some 1" PVC pipe and cut two 6" pieces. Thread some climbing rope or nylon webbing through them and around your pull-up bar, and tie a good knot. Now you have customizable shoulder width neutral grip way to hang. I learned this trick from @offwidth last year!
Not only that… if someone wants to kick it up a notch they can use a larger diameter pipe, or a pipe in a pipe for a sort of poor man’s Rolling Thunder.

Thanks for that. I am trying to imagine what that looks like... does the rope go on the inside and grip the pull up bar or does it go on the outside and make for the grip itself? Would love a photo if you had one.

Thanks for that. I am trying to imagine what that looks like... does the rope go on the inside and grip the pull up bar or does it go on the outside and make for the grip itself? Would love a photo if you had one.
I'll try and grab one later! The rope/nylon webbing goes through the PVC pipe and then ties around the pull-up bar. The PVC pipe IS the grip.

Here's a couple internet pictures:
1657194717516.png

They made rings here, but the idea is the same:
1657194744413.png

“Not only that… if someone wants to kick it up a notch they can use a larger diameter pipe, or a pipe in a pipe for a sort of poor man’s Rolling Thunder.”

@offwidth I made a couple sets of those if this is what you mean. This one needs a larger inner pipe though.
040A97CF-F326-4599-80F0-EA8A0FCCC44D.jpeg

@John K - I see what you mean now. I'm not sure that will work for me. I've long arms and am a bit on the tall side especially here in Japan. The tallest my tower goes is only 210cm so I'm already bending my knees to keep off the ground especially in the passive hang position. This would lower me a little more depending on how short I make the climbing rope I guess. Not the end of the world and perhaps with the bonus of an abs workout :eek:. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom