all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull-up Programming Problems

metaldrummer

Level 6 Valued Member
Or "PPP". lol Basically, I can't seem to get anywhere with pull-ups. I'm not sure how much I care, as I'm mostly focused on the big 4 (if I include OHP), but I would like to be able to do at least like 6 with good form. The problem is that something is always fatigued or beaten up so when it comes to being fresh for pull-ups, it just isn't happening. Even this week when I thought of just doing them Wednesday with squats my arms were still beat up from Monday. I think another problem is I've gained 12-13lbs since I first started, so obviously it's a little bit more weight to pull up.

So I figure my options are something like...

1. Just forget about trying to get better at pull-ups while doing pl style training.

2. Incorporate other things like assisted pull-ups (which I'm technically already doing), or lat pulls.

3. Quit pl style training so I can focus on bodyweight exercises and calisthenics. (I don't want to do this.) ROFL

Obviously I could try doing them on a different day as well, but it didn't seem to help honestly. Thoughts?

I almost forgot, currently my routine is...

Monday

Bench/Arms/Squat

Wednesday

Squat

Friday

OHP/Squat or deadlift depending on the week. (I deadlift every other week.)
Back and shoulder accessories (Usually seated DB shoulder press, DB rows and DB shrugs, depending on how much time I have left. lol)

Last edited:
Or "PPP". lol Basically, I can't seem to get anywhere with pull-ups. I'm not sure how much I care, as I'm mostly focused on the big 4 (if I include OHP), but I would like to be able to do at least like 6 with good form. The problem is that something is always fatigued or beaten up so when it comes to being fresh for pull-ups, it just isn't happening. Even this week when I thought of just doing them Wednesday with squats my arms were still beat up from Monday. I think another problem is I've gained 12-13lbs since I first started, so obviously it's a little bit more weight to pull up.

So I figure my options are something like...

1. Just forget about trying to get better at pull-ups while doing pl style training.

2. Incorporate other things like assisted pull-ups (which I'm technically already doing), or lat pulls.

3. Quit pl style training so I can focus on bodyweight exercises and calisthenics. (I don't want to do this.) ROFL

Obviously I could try doing them on a different day as well, but it didn't seem to help honestly. Thoughts?
IMO the best way to increase reps of bodyweight exercises is -almost- always high frequency with low volume.
Keep your training routine as it is and just do 2-3 sets of pull ups with 70-80% of your max reps, everyday. It works for me.

Last edited:
For reference, how many pull ups can you do at the moment?
Most I've done so far in one go is 5, but when my shoulders and everything else is fatigued it's more like 4, rest for 30 seconds and then squeeze out 2 more. Lately what I'll do when there's time is do however many bodyweight pull-ups I can do in a set or two and then do a couple of sets of wide grip assisted pull-ups. It feels like I can use better form when I use the assisted machine and take some weight off. In bodyweight pull-ups it feels like I want to use a lot of biceps for some reason. Hopefully that helps to get an idea of where I'm at.

Last edited:
Most I've done so far in one go is 5, but when my shoulders and everything else is fatigued it's more like 4, rest for 30 seconds and then squeeze out 2 more. Lately what I'll do when there's time is do however many bodyweight pull-ups I can do in a set or two and then do a couple of sets of wide grip assisted pull-ups. It feels like I can use better form when I use the assisted machine and take some weight off. In bodyweight pull-ups it feels like I want to use a lot of biceps for some reason. Hopefully that helps to get an idea of where I'm at.
3rm fighter pullup plan

What if you did gtg like power to the people. Two sets of five 3-5 days per week. Get the two sets however you can. Do a ladder (2,3,5), 5 sets of two reps. 10 singles stretched out over the course of the day. Superset them with pressing. So do a set of press immediately do 1 pull up then 2,3,4. (1,2,3,4) =10 Also it follows the guidelines of Easy Strength.

An idea I keep seeing in @Fabio Zonin 's programming is ...

Ladders
⅓ RM
½ RM
⅔ RM

This was more plainly presented in the cruiser program in the Alice in wonderland article.

Set the weekly NL, and by extension, the daily NL by dice roll. Pick a Max Weekly NL that makes sense for you at the top end. Make sure you can do the high day of a high week. The cruiser program uses 140. I would be inclined to use 100 off the top of my head.

Screenshot_2024-01-13-10-36-23-30_f90b96e7af3c5a594eb0c92de7fc5fe1.jpg
Screenshot_2024-01-13-11-15-51-53_f90b96e7af3c5a594eb0c92de7fc5fe1.jpg
If the die tries to repeat the same loading 2 weeks in a row, roll again.

Divide the daily NL into sets based on whether it's a low medium or high intensity session.

Screenshot_2024-01-13-13-46-03-23_f90b96e7af3c5a594eb0c92de7fc5fe1.jpg

So we can see here that this is with respect to a 4RM state. And as far as how to use this in your program, light days are singles. Medium days are sets of 1, 2 alternating, and heavy days are sets of 1, 2, 3, rotating; depending on which day it is. Try it with M-high W-low F-medium. Try it timelessly with relatively complete rest between repeats.

I'd be willing to bet that @Fabio Zonin is on to something with the ebbing waves of loading. During the session, from day to day and from week to week the delta 20 rule is in play. The varying waves of intensity may help you with developing strength at this point.

I dare say. Maybe ...

Try something like this out for 4-6 weeks and see if it moves the needle.
a little specialization from time to time never hurt anyone.

Last edited:
Two cents:
Ditch the “arm day” addition to bench day. Maybe keep a little tricep work. Or do arms at the end of the week, after weekly pull-up work.

Now arms won’t be as smoked for pull-ups.

Another option:
If available, use a suspension trainer or rings to do body rows (like the opposite of a push-up). Do these in place of pull-ups for a while. They tend to have good carryover to pull-ups. Alternatively, fix a barbell to the rack or something and do them from the bar. If you can work up to doing these with feet elevated for multiple sets of 8+, pull-ups ought to go up better. And your arms will grow.

So, you're at 4 and you want to get to 6??

I'm sorry - I don't see this as a big deal. Stop whining about it, lose 5 pounds, and make sure you get at least 2-3 sessions in a week. Front load your week (Sunday through Wednesday) to make sure you get them in.
I'm not trying to lose weight, and just because it's not a big deal to you doesn't mean it's not to someone else.

I'm not trying to lose weight, and just because it's not a big deal to you doesn't mean it's not to someone else.
Jeebus, okay. Nvm. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but you basically say in the first post that you don't want to prioritize it - I thought my advice was solid w. the info you gave, but good luck.

Best way i found was to have a rep goal, say 30 Pullups, keep 1 or 2 in the tank so i did 8 8 8 6 eventually that last set gets lower and lower till you do all 30 in 3 sets. Then increase the goal.

You might want to start at 15/20 total reps though

What if you did gtg like power to the people. Two sets of five 3-5 days per week. Get the two sets however you can. Do a ladder (2,3,5), 5 sets of two reps. 10 singles stretched out over the course of the day. Superset them with pressing. So do a set of press immediately do 1 pull up then 2,3,4. (1,2,3,4) =10 Also it follows the guidelines of Easy Strength.
Excellent

+1 to gtg.
I got to 20 by just doing 60-80% of current max 1-2 times a day when I walked by the pullup bar.

Some days I'd more sets, but they were an afterthought for me. Pavel has said that gtg will only take you to mid 20s (?). And that tracked with my experience.

You could try this guy's program. Start easy and build up momentum. You could start at singles and still make progress without burning out. If you make it to 10 sets of 3 I'd wager you'll be well above 6RM. If OTM is not enough rest do every 1:30 or 2 minutes.

I saw some similarities to SF programming in there.

1705173313230.png

Back
Top Bottom