all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull-up Programming Problems

Grease the groove worked for me to get my technique solidified enough to tackle the Fighter pullup program, but it is a lot of volume, I'd go with Mark Limbagas suggestion of the 3RM program, or just do 3x2 after your session 3 times a week, then work up to 5x2 then aim for 5x5.

Could also be a technique issue, any chance of a video of you doing pullups?

Could also be a technique issue, any chance of a video of you doing pullups?
Thx for the responses... It sounds like the GTG is what most people are advocating. As I think I said, it's possible that my technique isn't optimal. It feels like I want to pull with my biceps more than back. If I use the assisted pull-up machine and take some weight off it feels like I'm using better form even with wide grip, but I haven't really seen anyone really advocate that. Unfortunately I can't really get a video unless I ask someone to record.

Also I've been wondered if adding something like lat pull-downs or maybe even lat push-downs might be beneficial. Idk just brainstorming here.

Last edited:
Thx for the responses... It sounds like the GTG is what most people are advocating. As I think I said, it's possible that my technique isn't optimal. It feels like I want to pull with my biceps more than back. If I use the assisted pull-up machine and take some weight off it feels like I'm using better form even with wide grip, but I haven't really seen anyone really advocate that. Unfortunately I can't really get a video unless I ask someone to record.

Also I've been wondered if adding something like lat pull-downs or maybe even lat push-downs might be beneficial. Idk just brainstorming here.
I put a chair behind me and lean my phone on the seat/backrest.

As has been said though, if it's just an after thought to the rest of your training, do GTG singles through the day if you can access something to hang from, or reassess your priorities.

Honestly, I wouldn't over-complicate it. Folks here love to throw programs with percentages, varying rep schemes, assistance work, etc when you wil likely see your best gains from just dialing in technique (which people love to over-complicate for pullups, see below) and being consistent. You say it's not really a priority but you would really like to be able to do at least 6. That suggests to me that you would benefit from prioritizing it for at least a short while. Just pick something and stick with it for six-ish weeks minimum.

If you can do some pullups, then doing pullups more often will give you the ability to do more pullups. Thus, GtG is a great option.

Personally, I don't think lat pull downs carry over all that great to pullups. They take the core component out, and it's a different sensation imo. Either do assisted pullups via machine or bands, or do full pullups and use one of the suggestions in the thread. I already suggested body rows for higher reps in place of pullups.

If you feel like you are pulling with biceps more than back, post a video or two (preferrably from back and side views). Just ask someone to video you; it would take literally like 1-2 minutes max to get both shots. Just do 2 reps as best you can each way.

You say it's not really a priority but you would really like to be able to do at least 6. That suggests to me that you would benefit from prioritizing it for at least a short while. Just pick something and stick with it for six-ish weeks minimum.
Yeah I realize that sounds a bit contradictory, but basically what I meant was I don't care if I can't do like 3 sets of 20 or something but I feel like I should be a little better than barely getting 4 or 5 even tho my main focus is getting better at teh powerlifts. I think back in the day I was good for a couple sets of 6-8 so I guess that would be the goal. I'll try to figure something out with the advice I've gotten so far. One other problem that I've noticed recently is that I'm having a hard time locking out fully at the top (getting my chin above the bar). Maybe I'm just fatigued or something, idk, but I would like to try to find a way to get out of my pull-up rut. Lol

I'll try again - front load your work week and individual training sessions w. pull-ups/chins. That way, you'll do them fresh and, unless you try to crush yourself with them, you should have enough pep for your other (prioritized) exercises. Exercise order/sequence matters and, given time, I think you'll find the change-up good for pull-ups and probably for your training overall.

Do sets of 2-4, keeping at least 1 or 2 reps in reserve each set and start w. 10-20 total reps/session, 2-3x/week for a couple weeks and see how that goes. After a 2-3 week period of acclimation, add weekly volume.

On bench day, do pullups between bench sets.
Start with singles and doubles. Do as many doubles until you get close to failing on those and then switch to singles. Your volume will naturally creep up over time.

Eg. Bench set, 2 pullups, bench set, 2 pullups, bench set, 1 pullup, etc.

Easy way to fit it into your existing programming without having to manage a second program. It also doesn't interfere much with anything and supports the bench day.

For regular practice, the old school "Recon Ron" approach works well too. 6-8 weeks long total seems to be the sweet spot in my personal experience. I would easily max the Marine Corps pull-up event using this program. I overtrained a lot on it when I was younger, it's easy to do but it's definitely effective.

Start at the step that's approximately 50% your max, so in your case Step 2 or 3.

dGyAJKy.jpg

If you wanna get good at something make it your priority, so make them your first exercise always. Twice or three times per week, bodyweight ladders 1-2-3-4-5 or 2-4-6. When you get strong you can use some small weight to make ladders harder.
I can rep 17 at 86 kg and 50 kg weighted 1RM.

Back
Top Bottom