all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull ups for big A** dudes?

Brandon Trahan

Level 5 Valued Member
I used to use a pull up station at home with a rogue band for support. After a long time of using that “bandaid” i tried It without it and my pull RM was still awful. Am i doomed Because I’m 305lbs? Or is there a WAY? Lol. Any advice is appreciated!

I used to use a pull up station at home with a rogue band for support. After a long time of using that “bandaid” i tried It without it and my pull RM was still awful. Am i doomed Because I’m 305lbs? Or is there a WAY? Lol. Any advice is appreciated!
I’m not a big man, so I can’t talk from experience. Jim Wendler can, and this is his answer:

So, I am 270 and have worked my way up to 8 dead hang pull-ups for 3 sets. My progression was 30 sets of 1, then 10 sets of 2, then 7 arts of 3...

I did them on squat days to help with spinal decompression and on bench day did really heavy CS Rows. This has worked great for me.

I started with neutral grip and then switched over to regular grip. My goal is to hit 2 sets of 10 and then start over with a 20kg bell, repeat and then go to a 38kg bell...

Ultimate goal is to tame that beast

I’m not a big man, so I can’t talk from experience. Jim Wendler can, and this is his answer:

Mannnnnn i used To talk to Wendler back in the day. Before he blew up. He wouldn’t remember but besides the point. Wendler is the man. Love his approach! Thanks for the link! Forgot about this!

It would sure be a lot easier at lower body weight.

And there are health considerations to being 305.

But you know that
I agree But I still think this is so subjective. I’m over 300 but can move like a linebacker. I can grapple for 2 hours. I can Walk all day. It’s weird. If you saw me stand in front of you you would literally say I look like i weigh 250 lbs. everyone does it.

So, I am 270 and have worked my way up to 8 dead hang pull-ups for 3 sets. My progression was 30 sets of 1, then 10 sets of 2, then 7 arts of 3...

I did them on squat days to help with spinal decompression and on bench day did really heavy CS Rows. This has worked great for me.

I started with neutral grip and then switched over to regular grip. My goal is to hit 2 sets of 10 and then start over with a 20kg bell, repeat and then go to a 38kg bell...

Ultimate goal is to tame that beast
That’s an awesome routine man. My press max is 123lb bell. My push strength is far better than my pull. So i need it for Jiu Jitsu. Haha.

I agree But I still think this is so subjective. I’m over 300 but can move like a linebacker. I can grapple for 2 hours. I can Walk all day. It’s weird. If you saw me stand in front of you you would literally say I look like i weigh 250 lbs. everyone does it.
Not to be an a-hole about it, but it's not subjective - you'd have better relative strength and your joints and CV system would thank you if you weighed 50lb less.

Not to be an a-hole about it, but it's not subjective - you'd have better relative strength and your joints and CV system would thank you if you weighed 50lb less.
No s***. I’m not saying pull-ups over 300 is healthy. I’m saying being over 300 is subjective. Aka me vs a couch potato. Even guys who weigh less than me I’m healthier than. That’s all really.

Ps a#$%*@#^. Haha jk <3

I get it -- when I've been 250 people think I'm 225, when I'm 225 people think I'm 205.

But the data is pretty clear that when it comes to longevity, and being bigger taxes your system and internal organs harder.

One of the main reasons I dropped down a weight class in weightlifting was for longevity reasons, even though my lifts went down.

Remember:

Great danes die younger than huskies.

I get it -- when I've been 250 people think I'm 225, when I'm 225 people think I'm 205.

But the data is pretty clear that when it comes to longevity, and being bigger taxes your system and internal organs harder.

Remember:

Great danes die younger than huskies.
Very true. And it’s scary.

I feel sometimes the only way to lose weight is to starve myself and lose strength and skinny .

Yeah, you'll lose strength.

I did when I dropped a weight class.

But so what?

I'm not competing in strong man and weightlifting has weight classes, so I'm still about the same rank vs my competitors.
Rough decision. I pride Myself in being a strong sucker. Haha. Especially when I compete in Bjj. Idk. My bone density is thick as hell too. So it’s like , at 5’11” what’s an ideal weight for me?

Rough decision. I pride Myself in being a strong sucker. Haha. Especially when I compete in Bjj. Idk. My bone density is thick as hell too. So it’s like , at 5’11” what’s an ideal weight for me?

My bone density is 95th percentile against the reference 30 year olds, and I'm 52, and I'm your height and I can tell you the ideal weight ain't 305.

If you really want to know, get a Dexa scan, find out how much your lean body mass really is.

I bet it's not more than 185-195 LBM.

Back
Top Bottom