all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull ups for big A** dudes?

Damn 315 is heavy! Yea my range of motion seems to stop me at a certain point once I get to the top. With my pathetic 1-2 RM lol
The flex arm hang could be a good way to break past those plateaus, just use the same hand position as pull-ups. It was a good accessory exercise from back in the day that I remember. Simply jump up and hold the pull-up position as long as you can until your elbows break 45 degrees. I have seen some guys use these weighted as well to increase regular pull-up numbers, never tried it myself but it makes sense.

I'm fairly large guy. 5'9" - 10", ~240lb or a hair less. I suck at pullups. I can crank out about 5 good ones, anyday. When I trained them, I was good for about 9 perfect ones. Just losing 10 lb and they get so much easier.

Im not advising you to lose weight. But don't forget that size and strength dont increase, linearly, at the same speed. Since volume is related to the 3rd power of radius and cross sectional area only the 2nd power. Unless you are untrained, bodyweight will always increase at a faster rate vs strength. It's why a 10lb dog can jump 5 feet in the air and a 100 lb dog can't jump 50' into the air.

For example. If a 300lb man, as a 1RM, can lift 50% of his bodyweight (anything, let's just say a 1 arm press for 150 lb as example)... The equivalent feat for a 150lb man (all other things being equal, genetic twin just smaller) would be 73% of his 1rm or a 110lb press. Not a 50% or 75lb press. I'm just using Wilks formula to calculate this...

Or a double bodyweight deadlift is way more impressive for a "big guy" vs a "small guy". The same applies to pullups.

All I'm saying is that you must be realistic in your goal. I don't know how many pullups you can do. But if you could get to 5 or 10, that would be fantastic. 25-30+ pullups is for the skinny dudes.

Regards,

Eric

I'm fairly large guy. 5'9" - 10", ~240lb or a hair less. I suck at pullups. I can crank out about 5 good ones, anyday. When I trained them, I was good for about 9 perfect ones. Just losing 10 lb and they get so much easier.

Im not advising you to lose weight. But don't forget that size and strength dont increase, linearly, at the same speed. Since volume is related to the 3rd power of radius and cross sectional area only the 2nd power. Unless you are untrained, bodyweight will always increase at a faster rate vs strength. It's why a 10lb dog can jump 5 feet in the air and a 100 lb dog can't jump 50' into the air.

For example. If a 300lb man, as a 1RM, can lift 50% of his bodyweight (anything, let's just say a 1 arm press for 150 lb as example)... The equivalent feat for a 150lb man (all other things being equal, genetic twin just smaller) would be 73% of his 1rm or a 110lb press. Not a 50% or 75lb press. I'm just using Wilks formula to calculate this...

Or a double bodyweight deadlift is way more impressive for a "big guy" vs a "small guy". The same applies to pullups.

All I'm saying is that you must be realistic in your goal. I don't know how many pullups you can do. But if you could get to 5 or 10, that would be fantastic. 25-30+ pullups is for the skinny dudes.

Regards,

Eric
That all makes a ton of sense. Yea idk even know what my RM would be right now.

Even going into BJJ weight classes, where you are already in non capped ultra heavy there seems to be a phenomena where 240-250 pounders are on the podium. For a weight class that allows the largest theoretical disparity in weights, it still favors the relatively smaller guys.

It could be because it’s already a shallow class and there isn’t as much representation at 300+, but that also means there’s less total matches so conditioning isn’t the same issue as the super deep divisions.

Even going into BJJ weight classes, where you are already in non capped ultra heavy there seems to be a phenomena where 240-250 pounders are on the podium. For a weight class that allows the largest theoretical disparity in weights, it still favors the relatively smaller guys.

It could be because it’s already a shallow class and there isn’t as much representation at 300+, but that also means there’s less total matches so conditioning isn’t the same issue as the super deep divisions.
I roll like a little guy for my size which ALOT of people at my gym respect me for. And I’ve done a bracket with 5 matches. That’s pretty good for my weight. Haha.

I have a dumb BJJ question:

Why are the weight classes different between gi and no gi?

I roll like a little guy for my size which ALOT of people at my gym respect me for. And I’ve done a bracket with 5 matches. That’s pretty good for my weight. Haha.
Yeah but looking at the podiums at Mundials and ADCC, you just don’t see 300+ guys. Orlando Sanchez was only 240 and he dominated (albeit in a sleep inducing way) ultra heavy for awhile. Fabricio Werdum was also roughly the same size.

In gi you weigh in with the gi, so they remove what they consider the weight of the gi for nogi. You also can’t try and shed weight by going commando, you’ll get DQed like Bill Cooper lol.

That’s not a dumb question. I believe The weight classes are still the same. From my experience, competing no gi the weight class doesn’t change. They throw blue and purples in to go against each other and same for brown and black.

Now there is the “absolute” weight class. Which means after you finish your division you can compete against any size and weight class. Just not rank.

Yeah but looking at the podiums at Mundials and ADCC, you just don’t see 300+ guys. Orlando Sanchez was only 240 and he dominated (albeit in a sleep inducing way) ultra heavy for awhile. Fabricio Werdum was also roughly the same size.

In gi you weigh in with the gi, so they remove what they consider the weight of the gi for nogi. You also can’t try and shed weight by going commando, you’ll get DQed like Bill Cooper lol.
Well Orlando and I have different body types at 300. I never play just to smash and hold position like he did. I go for finishes and I’m a lot more flexible than he was. As well as taller. I’m about 5’11” and he was 5’9”. I’ve rolled with Orlando and we were acquaintances. He was not 240. Adcc 2015 when he won he was 280. This past adcc close to 330. Rip big O.

As opposed to weightlifting, where we strip down to just undies for weigh in.
The last PL meet I did, undies + socks were required. Although I'v always made weight, I don't make it by much and sometimes I've been right on the upper limit, so I'll be bringing lighter socks for the weigh-in next time. I have no idea if this idea is making the rounds in PL and/or WL but it was the first time for me. This was last November.

-S-

The last PL meet I did, undies + socks were required. Although I'v always made weight, I don't make it by much and sometimes I've been right on the upper limit, so I'll be bringing lighter socks for the weigh-in next time. I have no idea if this idea is making the rounds in PL and/or WL but it was the first time for me. This was last November.

-S-

Huh, I've never been told I need to keep socks on before.

We'll see if that changes at the May meet.

Oh, lol...I was thinking that but thought 'nah, they can't be weighing in with the gi on'.

Yeah they do mat side weigh ins, so you weigh in right before the corral on the first match.

Well Orlando and I have different body types at 300. I never play just to smash and hold position like he did. I go for finishes and I’m a lot more flexible than he was. As well as taller. I’m about 5’11” and he was 5’9”. I’ve rolled with Orlando and we were acquaintances. He was not 240. Adcc 2015 when he won he was 280. This past adcc close to 330. Rip big O.
That’s what he weighed in for his MMA fights, I don’t know if they even weigh ultra heavies mat side for grappling.

Yeah they do mat side weigh ins, so you weigh in right before the corral on the first match.

That’s what he weighed in for his MMA fights, I don’t know if they even weigh ultra heavies mat side for grappling.
Oh yea Mma he was definitely the smallest. Besides when he body built. I believe He was even smaller.

I'm not sure what the "significant change" was, but this was shared yesterday in the Masters Weightlifting Forum group on FB:

1676952447867.png

I remember looking up the recent NCAA 285lbs wrestling champs. If I remember:
Gable: 260lbs
Snyder: 220lbs
Gwiz: 240lbs
Still big and strong, but they often move a lot better at a lower weight. (I don’t know how many heavies actually fill all 285 pounds).

Personally, dropping a little weight (180 to 165) can give me a pretty noticeable skill/conditioning increase.

Back
Top Bottom