all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Q&D Sprint (running) question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeweledTiger

First Post
I apologize in advance if this has already been covered, I did a few searches and didn't quite see what I was looking for.

My question is on Quick and Dead protocol. In the book there was a mention of "Victor" who would sprint up stairs and then do pushups at 3 minute intervals. Let's say I'd like to train a few days a week to train KB Swings and Pushups, but I'd also like a few days a week to train my Sprints (for running speed and power). Would I take a day or two to Sprint with the 5/4 (5 second sprint 4 times every 30 seconds) then the short rest and then 5 pushups (4 times on 30 second intervals), as the book says?

For example, something like M (KBswing, PU's), Wed (Running-Sprint, PU's), F(KBswings, PU's)? Or should I just take one day on it's own and just do an all-out 10 second sprint once every 3 minutes with active rests, in addition to Swing/PU?

Not trying to make anything complicated, just simply would like to train running-sprints in addition to the Q&D like it was somewhat mentioned in the book.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

@JeweledTiger , I've done something similar with carries in place of sprints, and I used the 015 format to keep it simple. I choose a distance that would take me around 16 seconds. I considered it a Q&D day and worked it when I felt like fast carries instead of swinging. Try 16 seconds of covering as much ground as possible then rest remainder of the :90 then bang out your push ups.

Thank you! I reread the section on 015, and this - to make sure I understood it properly. I will implement this and see how it works for me :)

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered, I did a few searches and didn't quite see what I was looking for.

My question is on Quick and Dead protocol. In the book there was a mention of "Victor" who would sprint up stairs and then do pushups at 3 minute intervals. Let's say I'd like to train a few days a week to train KB Swings and Pushups, but I'd also like a few days a week to train my Sprints (for running speed and power). Would I take a day or two to Sprint with the 5/4 (5 second sprint 4 times every 30 seconds) then the short rest and then 5 pushups (4 times on 30 second intervals), as the book says?

For example, something like M (KBswing, PU's), Wed (Running-Sprint, PU's), F(KBswings, PU's)? Or should I just take one day on it's own and just do an all-out 10 second sprint once every 3 minutes with active rests, in addition to Swing/PU?

Not trying to make anything complicated, just simply would like to train running-sprints in addition to the Q&D like it was somewhat mentioned in the book.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Hey,

I do a Q&Dish type schedule 3 days per week, M swings, W sprints & F snatch.
I do the sprints as hill sprints in a 10/2 format doing 15 foot strikes each foot max power, rest remainder of the minute, do it again then rest remainder of the 3 minutes usually for 3 series. Seems to work well as my power output stays constant and I’ve noticed Im feeling faster and definitely recovering much quicker in between sprints!

Hello,

That's great !

Did you notice improvements with swings and snatches as well ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Breaking up your Q&D sessions between a swing+push up and a sprint+something else during the week.

Infact I beleive it would be a prudent decision to make. Big bang for your buck exercises, that cover a wide base and are conducive to your goals.

However a sprint for 3-6 seconds will be purely working the acceleration phase of a sprint, as you will never be able to reach max speed within that time. So if the goal of the sprint within a Q&D programming is to increase running speed and power (bearing in mind I don't know the distances you run) you would be wise to implement other work.

However I am unable to advise without further information and quite possibly am reading too much into things.

Last edited:
Hello,

Sprints and pull ups are a nice combination. Usually they are very safe and build great athleticism:

It is also possible, for the sake of variety to mix sprints with some sort of push ups.

Sprints can be used in different formats, depending on the goal you have:
- As @Starlord said, up to 6s sprints may mainly work on explosive power.
- Longer sprints (15s+) could be interesting for VO2 max training.

In both cases, one will get conditioning benefits, but especially for the 2nd. Rest should be long enough to tackle the next set fresh.

However, I would stress out that a strong aerobic base remains - IMHO - necessary to really reap the benefits of any kind of interval training (Q&D or anything else).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

An "unconventional" way to do both sprinting and running may be "fartlek". It can be performed both by-feel or using a timer.

When you go by feel, during a running session, you randomly introduce a few sprints, here and there. You do not time anything. As long as you are fresh when you do them, this is good. Between the sprints you run at your normal pace.

The other way is more "traditional": you perform a sprint of X seconds, every Y minutes. Once again, you nicely run between sets.

This is interesting to save time, to a certain extent. One has time constraints, it can be worth trying. Of course, it will not necessarily be the best solution ever to either increase the work capacity or the power, but it will give some kind of compromise (which may be enough for the average guy who just wants to be in general good health).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

An "unconventional" way to do both sprinting and running may be "fartlek". It can be performed both by-feel or using a timer.

When you go by feel, during a running session, you randomly introduce a few sprints, here and there. You do not time anything. As long as you are fresh when you do them, this is good. Between the sprints you run at your normal pace.

The other way is more "traditional": you perform a sprint of X seconds, every Y minutes. Once again, you nicely run between sets.

This is interesting to save time, to a certain extent. One has time constraints, it can be worth trying. Of course, it will not necessarily be the best solution ever to either increase the work capacity or the power, but it will give some kind of compromise (which may be enough for the average guy who just wants to be in general good health).

Kind regards,

Pet'
Agreed. Speedplay also gives ( for me ) a nice mental boost, no counting steps,interval timer, marking 100,200,or 400m. Head out door, cover some distance, speed up when I feel like it for random distances, turn around, head back.

Last edited:
Hello,

Kind regards,

Pet'
Fartlek (speedplay) is far from unconventional; :) at least in the world of runners and cyclists. This is a time tested and honored tool. Not only that it is fun as well.

@JeweledTiger, one man's data point for you regarding sprints. I've found 20-30 steps to be the sweet spot for Q&D sprints. The idea I use is to run for as long as I feel I'm still accelerating. As I warmup, I find I go from around 20 steps to around 30 steps.

I tried this for the first time just for the heck of it. I had a package to take to our local post office, which is perhaps 1/2 mile from our house. I did 4 sprints over that distance and walked easily the rest of the time. It seemed to work well to do a new sprint on the minute. Then I had a 5-minute rest while I waited in line and then mailed my package. And then I repeated what I did on the way _to_ the post office on the way home _from_ the post office. So I did two "series".

I cannot say if it's best, or ideal, or anything like that, but I can say it made me feel great afterwards.

-S-

Hello,

Like @Steve Freides , I sprint as long as I accelerate. Then I stop, rest enough to feel fresh and repeat.

Sometimes, we see 20s sprints, with up to 3 or 4 minutes rest. They are great as well, but serve other purposes.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet', for Q&D purposes, I'm not personally a fan of hill sprints. I prefer to focus on acceleration and I can do that better on level ground. I feel like it's a different thing running uphill, and perhaps more appropriate for some purposes, but for general health, I like focusing on accelerating.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom