Question on Soju&Tuba weight

caddo2000

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,
I have a question on the wheight to use for the Soju&Tuba press program.

I will be 50 in less than 40 days. I am 1.66cm tall and weigh 72Kg. I normally walk at around 68KG and when I competed in Judo do so at 66kg.
I chalk the increase in weight to the Covid-19 lockdown and the fact that I had to stop Judo due to an ACL injury.

I want to work on my pressing while I am doing swings and stationary cycling for conditioning.
Plan is to alternate days, 3 days swings in the morning and cycling in the afternoon, the other 3 days pressing.

I have 3 Kettlebells at home, a 24, 16 and 12. I use the 24kg for the swings and the 12 for warming up and armbars.
Right now I cannot press the 24kg, but I can press the 16kg 7 times on the left side and 9 times on the right.

Is it ok to use the 16 for the Soju&Tuba program, or is it to light and I need to go for a different program?

My goal is to press the 24kg on both side for at least one rep, so I can move to GTG presses.

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

@caddo2000
Usually, the weight you use is function of your 1RM. Below, I'll quote the article (in the "Soju and Tuba press program" section)
"Take a kettlebell one size lighter (4kg) than your 1RM".

However, you seem to be more in the following area:
"if you’re in that area where one size lighter than your 1RM is “too light,” then use your 2RM/3RM instead"

So, do you have a few plates you can add to the bell, to reach 20kg for instance. If not, I would follow the program with the 16, but would add a few sets here and there, GTG style, to get more volume. Indeed, S&T has a relatively low volume because it uses a fairly heavy weight (regarding the 1RM).

Nonetheless, if I were in your shoes, I'd go for RoP. This program relies more and volume than weight (so you could do it with 16). Plus, C&P done in ladders may provide some conditioning. You will get even more conditioning by following the swings and snatch protocol of RoP

Kind regards,

Pet'

Mark Limbaga

Level 7 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
I'd also like to see a vid of your c and p with the 16kg..

My guess is you need to get better in getting tight and producing force

caddo2000

Level 6 Valued Member
Thanks both.
I never had proper instructions, I followed the books and videos on the StrongFirst channel, so yes, I know my technique is question mark.

I will try to post a video, thanks for the offer.
I will try to find the EtK book to folow ROP.

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

@caddo2000
In the kettlebell section of the forum, there is a thread called ROP support group, which is very informtive.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Dries S

Level 4 Valued Member
@caddo2000
All the dragondoor books are on 50% discount at the moment (checkout code CV50), so if you're interested to pick up a copy/ebook of Enter the Kettlebell, it might be a good time :)

I'm sure that after you finish a cycle of ROP with your 16kg bell you will for sure get AT LEAST one rep with the 24kg!

Good luck!

Top Bottom