all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Red Army pull-ups and dips protocol

Funny; I have that page bookmarked in the SE manual. And, at least on that page and the next, I didn't see an answer to your question.

I would speculate that it would work better if you didn't add to it, but I haven't tried it yet.

Hello,

I'd not add other push or pull move. Maybe some GTG here and there, but not much more.

Nonetheless, even if that's another routine, Bobby Maximus (former UFC) uses what is called Holy Trinity (pull ups, push ups, dips)

By the way, there is also the lower body version (squats, lunges, abs)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks for the replies.

It appears this protocol is/was used for military training so my assumption was that they’re doing a lot of stuff besides just those exercises. I might include some prehab/rehab/accessory exercises but no other primary lifts.

Maybe I’ll give it a month and then retest RM?

I think this is a little too much volume for me.

I’ve been doing dips and chins following the above chart on a Tues, Thurs, Sat schedule.

Today, on my first set of dips, it was really hard and I felt DOMS where I didn’t know I had it and I bailed after the second rep. Then I tried a set of chins and that was really hard so I decided this would be a good rest day.

Going back to the “used for military training” point, I’m probably more than twice the age of an average recruit so maybe that plays a role.

So I’m thinking of still following the chart but maybe only twice per week and doing something lighter on the third day like some push-ups or seated barbel presses and some kind of row. Or maybe just alternating days in A/B format.

How do you read this chart? Let’s say some body has a max of 5 dips. Where does this person starts and ends the protocol?

Edit: I see now … so it seems quite fast progression does it work?

Last edited:
SAF works well in my case. I'm on 9/7 level in Pull-ups, but since I do a lot of Burpees my Dips became easier, so I do sets of 10 reps while only 9 of Pull-ups. @the hansenator you can add some push movements and see what happens.

I've used it for pullups up to week 5. At the time, no other pulling was a main focus in my lifting. Didn't do a true test but it definitely brought my pullups up fast
Keep meaning to try it with HLR but haven't got around to including it in my schedule

Funny; I have that page bookmarked in the SE manual. And, at least on that page and the next, I didn't see an answer to your question.

I would speculate that it would work better if you didn't add to it, but I haven't tried it yet.
What's the SE manual?

So at the top of the range (15 rep max) you'll be doing 63 reps in 18 minutes??? That's crazy stuff
I built up to this kind of dip volume last year over the course of maybe 12 weeks, independent of this program. I was just adding sets whenever I noticed I wasn't sore after dip day. I never timed myself that rigorously but I bet I was getting in reps at that rate by the end. Tough, but doable. I was only ~75 kg though.

@the hansenator this looks like the max amount of pushing/pulling I would do in a week. I would throw in a few sets of deadlifts per week without reservations and a tiny bit of light overhead pressing work just to keep the pattern. You're not asking about lower body but I would throw in squats for a well-rounded program. These are my personal preferences based on my experience with my own ability to recover. You may tolerate more/less work depending on your experience level, strength, age, etc.

Last edited:
I was looking at this again, I was thinking of giving a try but wanted to see if anyone has tried it or what you think. Does this protocol assume you aren’t doing other upper body exercises or is there room for some push-ups or presses?

Pull-up, dip, and hanging leg raise protocol

View attachment 20681
This could be a great 6-8 week cycle focusing on bodyweight and endurance starting with an RM test on the three lifts in question and going from there.

Is this program meant to be done for all three exercises? It's a lot of sets, topping out at 7 per exercise. That's 21 sets with 1-3 minute rests. Furious pace

I think this is a little too much volume for me.

I’ve been doing dips and chins following the above chart on a Tues, Thurs, Sat schedule.

Today, on my first set of dips, it was really hard and I felt DOMS where I didn’t know I had it and I bailed after the second rep. Then I tried a set of chins and that was really hard so I decided this would be a good rest day.

Going back to the “used for military training” point, I’m probably more than twice the age of an average recruit so maybe that plays a role.

So I’m thinking of still following the chart but maybe only twice per week and doing something lighter on the third day like some push-ups or seated barbel presses and some kind of row. Or maybe just alternating days in A/B format.

Individual tolerance for volume can vary dramatically.

I personally seem to have a threshold volume beyond which my elbows bark at me if I accumulate too many over a week (or in a day). That volume ceiling seems to be relatively low.

I love pull ups but too many of them through the week do not like me. I try to work within those parameters as I want to be at this for life.

Well, today felt much better, Taking a day off seems to have helped.

I think I’ll continue but only on Tues and Sat. Thursday will be inverted rows and seated barbell presses. I think mixing it up might help.

Back
Top Bottom