all posts post new thread

Barbell RELOAD question.

Henda

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,
I have run a cicle of RELOAD with the 3 days 3 lifts (DL, BP, SQ) version and had great success with it, my 1 RM went up by 22Lb. I want to run it again but this time I would love to include the Military Press as I like doing it a lot. But my doubt is the next: I only have 3 day for training, there fore I have thought that even if I train 3 days a week I could do 4 workout days. This way the 8 week cicle will end up being an 11 week cicle.
My sensation is that this won't change much in the program and I will be happier this way. What do you think? Is this correct?

Henda, Favio offers a 2 day a week program that includes all 4 lifts on page 25. Congratulations on your last success with the program. I ran it at Christmas and gained 10 lbs on bench and military.

The above comment is how I would do it, but if you want to keep the 3rd day then simply swap the bench for military presses... And use a bench movement for the SV

Ex.
Military press reload cycle
SV - db bench press, floor press, dips etc 5/2

Henda, Favio offers a 2 day a week program that includes all 4 lifts on page 25. Congratulations on your last success with the program. I ran it at Christmas and gained 10 lbs on bench and military.
Yes, I know that option but I want to keep the 3rd day of training.
Thanks, newbie gains, this is my first time with barbell!

The above comment is how I would do it, but if you want to keep the 3rd day then simply swap the bench for military presses... And use a bench movement for the SV

Ex.
Military press reload cycle
SV - db bench press, floor press, dips etc 5/2
I undertand, so I could keep doing the Bench Press as a SV. The thing is that I this run I did the main lifts heavy and light days + horizontal and vertical pulls + midsection. If I add SV lifts I think that the training sessions might be too long.

Just for understanding, what is bad about adding the fourth workout day and extending the program 8 days? Low weekly volume for each lift maybe?

Yes, I know that option but I want to keep the 3rd day of training.
Thanks, newbie gains, this is my first time with barbell!

I undertand, so I could keep doing the Bench Press as a SV. The thing is that I this run I did the main lifts heavy and light days + horizontal and vertical pulls + midsection. If I add SV lifts I think that the training sessions might be too long.

Just for understanding, what is bad about adding the fourth workout day and extending the program 8 days? Low weekly volume for each lift maybe?
Nothing bad about it, I read your post as you only had 3 days to train... But yes that's how I would do it, military press as the main movement and bench press for SV

Are you not running the SV exercises?

Or do the 4 day one but train 3 days a week...

I think that's what he meant when he said this in his original post:

only have 3 day for training, there fore I have thought that even if I train 3 days a week I could do 4 workout days. This way the 8 week cicle will end up being an 11 week cicle.

-S-

Is it a time issue? If so that 4th day added I would make a SV day.... There is only 2 sets on those movements so it wouldn't take long
Yes, it is a time issue, I have one hour and a half to teain more or less. That's why I thought training 3 days a week but keeping the 4 workout structure.

Not sure if in the 4th day I'd have time for all the SV lifts as I will have to do 1 heavy + 1 light + core exercises. Doing this alone takes me 1 hour or a bit more.

So I find it really difficult to include the SV on my training...

So I find it really difficult to include the SV on my training...
You can swap out the SV lists for the main lift on different cycles.
So if you are doing the minimalist version do a cycle with back squat, next cycle swap out back squat with box squat.

Or just run the 4 day cycle over 3 days. I've been doing that with 531 for better part of a year and it works great. Real easy to keep everything in the 90 minutes if you treat the SV work as more bodybuilding and allow yourself some short rest periods.

Last edited:
Yes, this is the solution I arrived at, and my question was if it is appropriate or whether there's any reason for not doing it this way.
quoted the wrong thing lol.
Yeah, it is a great way to do it. Not really a reason not to unless you need to be finishing the cycle in 8 weeks instead of 11.

I'd mix two of the published options to get;
Session A - DL, MP
Session B - SQ, BP
Session C - sq, mp (and/or bp), dl
With bp optional depending on how it was recovery and time wise.

Hi! Last week I ended the program.
It went really well but with the bench press (and I don't know why).
Here my numbers:
When I started my DL 1RM was 135kg and now it is 150kg. +15kg not bad at all.
My BP 1RM was 80kg and stays exactly the same 80kg. I don't understand why as I followed the rep scheme and didn't fail any rep. Someone knows how could this be?
My SQ 1RM was 85kg and now it is 95kg. +10kg
On the MP my 1RM was 55kg and now it is 60kg. +5kg

I am very happy with the results, the progression I think has been very good but in the BP and I really enjoyed the process.
I also found that I don't fell confortable at all with the DL, my hips shot up too soon and I am struggling to solve this. Now I will run Built Strong Maximum BTS 4, and I think that I will give the Sumo DL a try.

Hi! Last week I ended the program.
It went really well but with the bench press (and I don't know why).
Here my numbers:
When I started my DL 1RM was 135kg and now it is 150kg. +15kg not bad at all.
My BP 1RM was 80kg and stays exactly the same 80kg. I don't understand why as I followed the rep scheme and didn't fail any rep. Someone knows how could this be?
My SQ 1RM was 85kg and now it is 95kg. +10kg
On the MP my 1RM was 55kg and now it is 60kg. +5kg

I am very happy with the results, the progression I think has been very good but in the BP and I really enjoyed the process.
I also found that I don't fell confortable at all with the DL, my hips shot up too soon and I am struggling to solve this. Now I will run Built Strong Maximum BTS 4, and I think that I will give the Sumo DL a try.
Well done on the progress.
Interested to know;
What was the structure of your BP test workout?
What was your light workout weight?
Did you include MP?
Did you include auxiliary exercises?

Well done on the progress.
Interested to know;
What was the structure of your BP test workout?
What was your light workout weight?
Did you include MP?
Did you include auxiliary exercises?
I did a general warmup and then started ramping up from 1/2 of my old 1RM to 90% of the 1RM. I followed the procedure suggested by Fabio Zonin.
My light day weight was 52,5kg (65% of my 1RM).
And yes, I include MP in the programing and did barbel row, Hanging leg raises and pull ups as auxiliary.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom