all posts post new thread

Barbell RELOAD question.

Also, did your MP improve?
Finally, did your 5x5 improve? Or your sub 1RM numbers?
Personally, I'd run another cycle and build the base with the 5x5 volume.

Also, did your MP improve?
Finally, did your 5x5 improve? Or your sub 1RM numbers?
Personally, I'd run another cycle and build the base with the 5x5 volume.
Yes, my MP improved by 5kg.
And yes, my 5x5 goal with the BP was achieved.

And yes, my 5x5 goal with the BP was achieved.
I'm sorry... for clarification - your BP 5x5 @ Wk 5 goal was acheived, but your Bench press didn't increase?

Do you have a log here, to take a look at, out of curiosity?

I'm sorry... for clarification - your BP 5x5 @ Wk 5 goal was acheived, but your Bench press didn't increase?

Do you have a log here, to take a look at, out of curiosity?
Yes, that's right my BP 5x5 @Wk 5 goal was achieved, but my BP 1RM didn't increase.
Here my BP log:
Wk 1​
52,5 x5x5​
Wk 2​
55 x5x5​
Wk3​
57,5 x5x5​
Wk 4​
60x5x5​
Wk 5​
62,5x5x5​
Wk 6​
65x5x5​
Wk 7​
67,5x5x5​

Yes, it is a time issue, I have one hour and a half to teain more or less. That's why I thought training 3 days a week but keeping the 4 workout structure.

Not sure if in the 4th day I'd have time for all the SV lifts as I will have to do 1 heavy + 1 light + core exercises. Doing this alone takes me 1 hour or a bit more.

So I find it really difficult to include the SV on my training...
As a way to save time, which I have done before. You could simply do your set of military press then immediately a set of deadlift. Since you are training to different body areas you can get the rest on your upper body. This will drastically cut down on time. And the same for bench/squat.

Yes, that's right my BP 5x5 @Wk 5 goal was achieved, but my BP 1RM didn't increase.
Here my BP log:
Wk 1​
52,5 x5x5​
Wk 2​
55 x5x5​
Wk3​
57,5 x5x5​
Wk 4​
60x5x5​
Wk 5​
62,5x5x5​
Wk 6​
65x5x5​
Wk 7​
67,5x5x5​
Presumably there's a typo in there re week 6 and 7.
Which author's formula did you use to derive the target?
As I said, I'd up the target, it's corresponding light day and rerun.
It might be your 1RM is now, for example, 82.0 kg. i.e. less than 82.5 kg so a fail. Rerunning might realise that.
Or switch and come back later...

Actually, that 62.5 looks lower than I'd expected.
Reread page 10 from Fabio's section.
65 to 70 kg might be typical.
So you may have benefiited from a heavier starting point and/or light session.
Also some weeks might require a bigger plate jump.

Presumably there's a typo in there re week 6 and 7.
Which author's formula did you use to derive the target?
As I said, I'd up the target, it's corresponding light day and rerun.
It might be your 1RM is now, for example, 82.0 kg. i.e. less than 82.5 kg so a fail. Rerunning might realise that.
Or switch and come back later...
Sorry, I've just reread the post and forgot you were extending the cycle length by changing the workouts per week.
If that's the case then perhaps it was a matter of frequency per week.

Here my BP log:
67,5x5x5

This is not Reload, but what I have done to transition to a heavy single is change from 5 x 5 to 5-4-3-2-1, rolled out over a few weeks. Here's an example for you

65 x 5
70 x 4 - you've done 67.5 for 5 x 5, so we're pretty sure you can do 70 x 4 once
75 x 3 - if you can't get 3, settle for 2 or 1 rep, and the next week, get 3

Then add a 4th rung
65 x 5
70 x 4
75 x 3
80 x 2 - again, if you can't get 1, do this another week. If you can't get any, repeat next week

Now to get a new 1RM, we'll cut down on the volume leading up to it

65 x 3
70 x 2
75 x 1
80 x 1
85 x 1

So the above 3 sessions could take anywhere from 3 weeks to 6-8 weeks, depending on how it goes for you.

-S-

This is not Reload, but what I have done to transition to a heavy single is change from 5 x 5 to 5-4-3-2-1, rolled out over a few weeks. Here's an example for you

65 x 5
70 x 4 - you've done 67.5 for 5 x 5, so we're pretty sure you can do 70 x 4 once
75 x 3 - if you can't get 3, settle for 2 or 1 rep, and the next week, get 3

Then add a 4th rung
65 x 5
70 x 4
75 x 3
80 x 2 - again, if you can't get 1, do this another week. If you can't get any, repeat next week

Now to get a new 1RM, we'll cut down on the volume leading up to it

65 x 3
70 x 2
75 x 1
80 x 1
85 x 1

So the above 3 sessions could take anywhere from 3 weeks to 6-8 weeks, depending on how it goes for you.

-S-
Thank you Steve, I will try this strategy

Agreed, it is a low 5RM corresponding to a 80 kg max. Also it seems you dragged the 5/5 part to 7 weeks? That seems a bit too long too. But now you have starting 5/5 maximum, increasing that 2.5/5 kg next cycle should likely lead to a bigger 1 RM.

Agreed, it is a low 5RM corresponding to a 80 kg max. Also it seems you dragged the 5/5 part to 7 weeks? That seems a bit too long too. But now you have starting 5/5 maximum, increasing that 2.5/5 kg next cycle should likely lead to a bigger 1 RM.
I don't know, for stablishing my 5RM goal I followed the 5RM test procedure described by Fabio Zonin in the book.
Looking at my numbers I realize that I must have had a very bad day the day I performed the 5 RM test (or maybe I took too short rest times) becaouse when I tested how many reps I could do with the 80% of my 1RM (which was 65kg) I managed to do 7 reps.

So yes, it looks like something went wrong the 5RM test day.

I don't know, for stablishing my 5RM goal I followed the 5RM test procedure described by Fabio Zonin in the book.
Looking at my numbers I realize that I must have had a very bad day the day I performed the 5 RM test (or maybe I took too short rest times) becaouse when I tested how many reps I could do with the 80% of my 1RM (which was 65kg) I managed to do 7 reps.

That explains a lot :D

Regardless, it can be difficult to go from 5 reps to a max single. I would recommend you at least work down to a heavier triple before attempting a new 1RM. (And if you're going to work down to a single, well, you might as well work down to a double, then a single.)

-S-

Back
Top Bottom