all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Replacement for Get-ups, as Complement to Swings?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Whew! I tried that variation a few times and I cannot imagine doing that with a heavier load.

This is what I was working on, is very much similar to how I used to do them years ago, then I slowly became more and more orthodox and adopted the side/hip hinge instead of dropping back on the haunches.

This is similar to what is often called a "B-squat," since Bryce Lane wrote about it and gave it that name. The staggered stance and rolling onto the ball of the back foot make it much easier to keep the torso upright and less of a mobility challenge than a normal overhead squat.

Very cool and creative to see this used in a get up.

Here's a picture of Bret Contreras demonstrating it with a barbell:
bret contreras b-squat.jpg

Link to the "Bryce Lane Compendium," an archive of Bryce's website and writing (the B-squat article starts on page 54 of the pdf:
https://sustainableevolution.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/bryce-lane-compendium.pdf

I tried the get-up variations this morning in the videos above, @North Coast Miller's and Louka Kurcer's. I like them!

This is similar to what is often called a "B-squat," since Bryce Lane wrote about it and gave it that name. The staggered stance and rolling onto the ball of the back foot make it much easier to keep the torso upright and less of a mobility challenge than a normal overhead squat.
Wow, thanks!
This squat variation feels so natural. Especially with a single KB in the rack.
Quite similar to the Lego Squat from Original Strength.

Find movements that mimick the various shoulder positions and movement patterns involved in the getup and put them into either a circuit or complex that eliminate stressing the knee:

• Rolling to Press: Armbars, hollowing rocking, or Rolling patterns
  • Getup to Elbow & palm: presses from this position or reclined seated press.
  • Low Sweep to Kneeling Windmill: Windmills, Bent Arm Bar, Side Press, Bent Press
  • Kneeling Windmill to Lunge: Deadlifts, Windmills, Bent Presses (any other movement with a hip hinge: swing, clean, snactch, etc)
  • Overhead lunge to standing: Overhead walk, Overhead Step-ups, One Arm Press, Bent Press, (any other movement holding the bell overhead)

Personally I'd use a program minimum approach with a hip hinge movement + bent press or overhead carry.

Examples:
Snatch to [Bent Press or/to overhead walk].

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom