all posts post new thread

Old Forum RoP For a Muay Thai Practitioner?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Telegramsam

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello guys, I am asking again on behalf of my brother-on-law. He fights locally in Thai boxing and is looking at various KB programs to supplement his sport.

He likes the idea of RoP because his time in the week (evenings only) is very limited. He tried S&S but found it took him too long. He likes the idea of RoP because he can do the light and medium (and 'shorter!) practices in the week and the heavy day on a Saturday when he has a but more time. He won't be doing pullups as he has no equipment to do them (and, again, is concerned at the time element during the week).

Are there any amendments any of you would make to the basic RoP? He's got the book and DVD but the knowledge base here is always being refined and it's getting on for 9 years old. I think press ladders remain as in the book, so I am asking about the swings/snatches more.

He is looking for increases in striking power (he hopes the hips element of swings/snatches will help with this) as well as increased strength and 'conditioning' which will help his sport.

Hi!

Has he considered the Program Minimum from the same book? That was designed for martial artists and will take less time than S&S. What he can do is keeping the swing reps down and make them more Hard style for carry-over to his sport.

Best regards, Henke in Sweden

Thanks, guys. He feels the 'old' PM won't give him the boost he needs as he feels his conditioning is not where it should be. As for KB Express - I had never heard of it (sorry Geoff, my fault!) but am going to order it for myself!! :-D

The ROP is a really great program, and I've seen a number of fighters comment on the forums about how well it worked for them.

But if he doesn't have the 20 to 30 minutes to do an S and S session, I'm not sure he'll have time to do the light and medium days once the ladders and rungs start getting higher.  5 sets of 1, 2, 3, 4 followed by swings is not exactly a short session.  And one will be there on the medium days for as long as they take to climb those 5th rungs.

I agree with Brian D.   Maybe he should go light enough on S&S  to get through it in the time he has, and just let the weight increases come as they will?

1) my experience with ROP is that, once you build up to a bit of volume, even the light/medium days take quite a bit longer than S&S.   It averages out vs. S&S, of course, because the core of it is only a 3X/wk program.

2) ROP isn't really focused, first and foremost, on conditioning.  My sense is that either PM (S&S or the original one) is a better basic conditioning regimen, if conditioning is the primary concern (unpopular opinion here, but if conditioning is really the only concern, I'd look at different modes- you can get the conditioning while burning fewer of your matches doing things other than KB's, but KB's offer additional benefits).

3) As said above, the original (ETK) PM was designed for boxers. That's probably what I'd do in your friends shoes, if he is serious about his MT training.  ROP, done in earnest, burns too many recovery matches for use in fight training most of the time (unless one is laying off fight training specifically to improve upper body strength/endurance, at which it excels).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom