all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Rucking with plates vs. kettlebell in backpack

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
The McGyver Pack

I'll think about this. 1.5 liter water bottles are popular around here. I could fill some up with sand... Hmm
I've seen one fellow walking around a local park with a black RepFitness sandbag draped over a shoulder. Was a 75lber with 45lbs of sand. Be said he just shifts it around as he goes - across the back, over one shoulder, Zercher, single arm cradle etc etc. I cannot imagine needing cast iron to ruck when sand is just about everywhere.

I've seen one fellow walking around a local park with a black RepFitness sandbag draped over a shoulder. Was a 75lber with 45lbs of sand. Be said he just shifts it around as he goes - across the back, over one shoulder, Zercher, single arm cradle etc etc. I cannot imagine needing cast iron to ruck when sand is just about everywhere.
The only downside of sand is when it gets wet it smells funny so you have to replace it. I always think it smells like cat urine.

The only downside of sand is when it gets wet it smells funny so you have to replace it. I always think it smells like cat urine.
It would have to be bagged.
Another possibility is to pull the valvestem from a smaller tire innertube (Tractor Supply) and fill it with water. I managed about 40lbs in a moutaineering bag. Pretty comfortable for dead weight.

I would bag in two contractor bags and wrap the whole thing in duct tape to the extreme. Eventually just due to wear and tear you get a hole where water will seep through and then it stinks and you have to scrub all your gear.

I use a combination when I go very heavy for certain challenges (e.g. I used sand and ruck plates for the 80# requirement for a 5.6 mile ruck commemorating the Falklands War) but a 45# plate was a great investment as I use it all the time and never have to think twice about it.

It doubles well as a stand alone piece of gear too for certain movements.

Back
Top Bottom