all posts post new thread

S&S for hypertrophy maintenance?

cbstephens

First Post
In 6 weeks I'll be done with a 12-week hypertrophy program, and I'd like to switch to something for another ~12 weeks that maintains the hypertrophy gains but also continues to build foundational gorilla strength. I'm guessing Simple & Sinister might be a good option (I hit timed Simple about a year ago)? Maybe there's something better? I did Q&D earlier this year, FWIW.

Hi!

Simple & Sinister seems like a great program to follow up a hypertrophy block.

Will it maintain your hypertrophy gains? I think that depends on how much your body needs for hypertrophy and how much you want to maintain. If you are coming off of Mass Made Simple, or a big bodybuilding block, Get ups and swings might not be enough to keep the thighs, chest, back etc at the same level....OR the getups and swings definitely hit almost every muscle group, so it may be enough.

Is there something better? Again, I think. it depends on how you define "better" For a minimalist program that builds strength and hypertrophy, Fabio's Built Strong BTS3 would be a good program..... Pick a push exercise- variation on a bench press, military press or Dips, a pull like Chin ups (you could even do heavy DB KB Cleans) and a squat variation- That may have you "more covered" than swings and get ups.

Geoff Neupert has a bunch of programs that may also fit the bill..... Kettlebell Maximorum or Easy Muscle may be a good fit as well.

Others may have better ideas, but this was just a thought for you!

In 6 weeks I'll be done with a 12-week hypertrophy program, and I'd like to switch to something for another ~12 weeks that maintains the hypertrophy gains but also continues to build foundational gorilla strength. I'm guessing Simple & Sinister might be a good option (I hit timed Simple about a year ago)? Maybe there's something better? I did Q&D earlier this year, FWIW.
No, I would never recommend a client to switch from a hypertrophy program to S&S, especially to build foundational gorilla strength. I would likely recommend a barbell strength program though, or even a "phase in" modification of the current hypertrophy program where gradually the weights get heavier... y'know like a 10s block, 8s block, 5s block ... maybe even a 3s block ...

But it really depends what you've been doing.

Well hopefully you are already maintaining your S&S achievement once per week. I’d be more inclined to do something like Dan John’s armor building complex. He recommends one day one week then two the next. In this way you could combine that with barbell and some S&S. I would recommend hitting a 10x10 timeless swing session once per week regardless of the other work you are doing. Never neglect the swings.

I’d point you towards some of Geoff’s programs. If you just came off a hypertrophy program and are looking for a 12 week program maybe go The Wolf for 6 weeks and then one of the jerk programs also in KettleBell Hard. Add in some low volume barbell work before.

That will get you strong, conditioned and should hold most of your muscle gains.

Last edited:
I’d consider keep doing what you’ve been doing, but wind back the volume to free up some more energy to pursue whatever other quality you want to cultivate.

Your muscles are either growing or atrophying. Maintenance is an appearance that occurs when the volume/frequency dose you give a muscle isn’t sufficient to “outrun” the atrophy that occurs once the growth stimulus goes.

Eg you train a muscle on a Monday… it might grow for a few days as a result, then starts back peddling and by the time you next send it a signal to grow you’re back at where you started. So it looks like maintenance but under the surface you’ve got all manner of stuff going on.

So with that in mind, you could slash your volume or frequency, (not intensity) and use the free time to do something else

You just (hopefully) a bit of muscle. It's time to take advantage of it. "Be as strong as you look" is a phrase that comes to mind. Both @John K and @Mark Limbaga's are rock solid. You could also work S&S in the strength program in a number of ways if you really want to do it.

Just my random two cents.

Back
Top Bottom