all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I got my hands on Snorri Sturluson's The Prose Edda (Translated by Arthur Gilchrist Brodeur 1916) and started to read it... or more likely study it along with the other books, that I'm in the middle of. So it's going to take a while to finish it first time, but I'm going to read it multiple times. Then possibly read Old Norse version too, if I find it.
Oh, and I should add that I have bought a Viking shield and axe. A sword is coming soon (actually a 13th Century design, but pretty similar to Viking Age swords). The sword and axe are blunt for use in historical fencing, which I am involved in now albeit in a Zoom way, haha, due to the pandemic, for now. The shield is not light! 6kg feels different at the full length of one's arm! I also bought a few bucklers and a 16th Century Spanish style close hilted rapier.

The beginning of the Heimskringla, by the same author, fills in even more details on the Norse gods.
The three key texts for the gods and heroes are:
1. The Prose Edda
2. The Poetic Edda
3. Volsunga Saga

Something a bit curious for me is how while the gods are located up North, the heroes are located in Central Europe (although depicted as culturally Norse of course.)
Thanks for the information. Vikings went to Central Europe to get rich and later as Normans because of Christianity.
Oh, and I should add that I have bought a Viking shield and axe. A sword is coming soon (actually a 13th Century design, but pretty similar to Viking Age swords). The sword and axe are blunt for use in historical fencing, which I am involved in now albeit in a Zoom way, haha, due to the pandemic, for now. The shield is not light! 6kg feels different at the full length of one's arm! I also bought a few bucklers and a 16th Century Spanish style close hilted rapier.
13th Century swords are nice. Swords got thinner and longer in time.

Thanks for the information. Vikings went to Central Europe to get rich and later as Normans because of Christianity.

13th Century swords are nice. Swords got thinner and longer in time.
Jormunreck, the entire Volsung family and of course Attila (Atli in the sagas) are all Central European characters. Germans are called "Southern speakers" in the sagas - so apparently German, English, Norse, were all one sprachbund at the time, one big community sharing the same basic language and customs to some degree.

But we have to thank the Icelanders for preserving the old legends. Without them they'd be almost completely gone. Snorri in particular has done a wonderful job. I can read Old English now reasonably well and Old Norse is almost the same language, so I'll learn that next and start studying the texts in the original Norse.

I bought the 13th Century sword for a few reasons: mainly that it was 120$ cheaper than a 12th Century sword they were selling, and 200$ cheaper than a Migration Era sword. In fact, the 13th Century sword follows a pattern starting in the Viking Age by the Franks where the guard got longer and the blade more tapered. It will do. I am also interested in Sword and Buckler fencing, so this sword is applicable to this style. Snorri would have had this kind of sword, I guess. The Norse were still there in the 13th Century and it was they who were writing the sagas we love so much. I don't see the 13th Century as being after the "end of the Vikings". Heck, the Vikings are still there today! I don't have anything against the High Middle Ages, hehehe.

Jormunreck, the entire Volsung family and of course Attila (Atli in the sagas) are all Central European characters. Germans are called "Southern speakers" in the sagas - so apparently German, English, Norse, were all one sprachbund at the time, one big community sharing the same basic language and customs to some degree.

But we have to thank the Icelanders for preserving the old legends. Without them they'd be almost completely gone. Snorri in particular has done a wonderful job. I can read Old English now reasonably well and Old Norse is almost the same language, so I'll learn that next and start studying the texts in the original Norse.

I bought the 13th Century sword for a few reasons: mainly that it was 120$ cheaper than a 12th Century sword they were selling, and 200$ cheaper than a Migration Era sword. In fact, the 13th Century sword follows a pattern starting in the Viking Age by the Franks where the guard got longer and the blade more tapered. It will do. I am also interested in Sword and Buckler fencing, so this sword is applicable to this style. Snorri would have had this kind of sword, I guess. The Norse were still there in the 13th Century and it was they who were writing the sagas we love so much. I don't see the 13th Century as being after the "end of the Vikings". Heck, the Vikings are still there today! I don't have anything against the High Middle Ages, hehehe.
Yes, Vikings are still here and I’m proud High Middle Ages Varangian. I have three swords, but I wear axe mostly with the Saint Wenceslaus helmet and round Viking shield. Of course I have a Seax knife in my belt. I consider myself as a landlord than a warrior. Not a Jarl, but a Karl. A free man. You know what I mean.

Last edited:
Haven't done much kettlebells for months. Been focussing on fencing. I'm starting again today with my own workout modified from S&S.
  • 60 presses
  • 60 1h swings
  • 10 getups

So, not ideal S&S or whatever - so what? I can do this daily without getting sick of it. Presses matter A LOT in my opinion.

Hello @Kozushi

Glad to see you back!

Swings and presses for strength and power. GU for mobility and balance. You are onto something !

Kind regards,

Pet'
I had gotten myself trapped almost perfectionist-like into thinking I had to follow a programme perfectly, but I think after 5 years of informed kettlebell training, I know my body and needs. I have been seeing an excellent chiropractor too, which has given me some further insight into my own particular body situation.

I wanted to see what the result would be of taking several months off kettlebells. This was not enough time to really lose any significant strength that I had built up from them of course. My fencing has improved a lot, but I feel as can be expected that I am losing some physical integrity.

Weight training is very important and should not be neglected, by anyone really.

It was a good thing to try, and it was good I think to give my kettlbebll muscles a chance to rest for the first time in 5 years, but enough. Time to get back to it!

Pet, you might have also guessed in my new plan a desire to aim towards better snatches for an eventual SFG 1 test. Presses help.

I do presses nowadays too. Taking a break from the get-ups. Also I'm doing two-hand swings. Long sets. Feels good.

I do presses nowadays too. Taking a break from the get-ups. Also I'm doing two-hand swings. Long sets. Feels good.
Awesome!
I've been training with some viking weaponry recently. The shield is starting to feel lighter. It's funny how all the kettlebelling I didn't didn't seem to help at first with the shield!

I think following the S&S plan (or any other programme) is very important, and I did that. I got to Timeless Simple and was only 2 minutes shy of Timed Simple. I think I got what the intended gains were from the programme, and now I need to step past it to train in a way more particular to my own needs, as part of a very active lifestyle.

Awesome!
I've been training with some viking weaponry recently. The shield is starting to feel lighter. It's funny how all the kettlebelling I didn't didn't seem to help at first with the shield!
Nice! Glad to hear that you train with the viking shield. I must start soon too. First medieval festivals starts soon.
I think following the S&S plan (or any other programme) is very important, and I did that. I got to Timeless Simple and was only 2 minutes shy of Timed Simple. I think I got what the intended gains were from the programme, and now I need to step past it to train in a way more particular to my own needs, as part of a very active lifestyle.
I train for life too. My life is so hectic to milk any program properly. I don't stress swing numbers and if any progress to presses, then good. I'll take it.

Nice! Glad to hear that you train with the viking shield. I must start soon too. First medieval festivals starts soon.

I train for life too. My life is so hectic to milk any program properly. I don't stress swing numbers and if any progress to presses, then good. I'll take it.
Yes, I think that following the programme strictly for years was important to develop the kind of strength the programme was designed for. The new book 2.0 actually advises us to branch out from S&S once we get to Simple. I still think the 1h swings and the TGUs are very important, but I also think that presses are very important... I find the heavier swings quite draining considering how active I am at other things like kendo, judo and historical fencing. I'll probably be bouncing between 100 swings with the 24kg and 60 swings with the 32kg. The presses will be with the 24 and the 28, and the TGUs with the 32kg... maybe eventually with the 40, but not yet again. I am not in quest of more strength so much as to maintain strength and to promote mobility, balance and especially cardio-vascular health.

I got reasonably proficient at Old English over the past few months. Also, I have been reading sagas, eddas etc... I love this part of our shared cultural heritage!

Great workout. A lot of pressing. Good!
I'm keeping the 100 swings but with a lower weight. I like the movement and the cardio. 60 only seemed a bit lame. :)
The pressing should help with the Viking etc fencing.

Yes, shared cultural heritage and similar kind of climate.
The TV series "Vikings" is actually a Canadian production, if you can believe it, and the final few episodes take place along the East Coast of Canada. The Vikings also played a large role in the development of early British and French history, and these two countries were the main colonizers here.

I'm keeping the 100 swings but with a lower weight. I like the movement and the cardio. 60 only seemed a bit lame. :)
The pressing should help with the Viking etc fencing.
My swings are between 75-125 per session, so it's 100 reps on average. 100 is good and weekly 300 is enough for me. So your tactic is spot on. Also good thinking with the presses.
The TV series "Vikings" is actually a Canadian production, if you can believe it, and the final few episodes take place along the East Coast of Canada. The Vikings also played a large role in the development of early British and French history, and these two countries were the main colonizers here.
Yes, it's interesting how much vikings visited Vinland 1000 years ago. Basically they were everywhere back then. Some sources says, that vikings got their steel to make swords from Iran. That's a long distance with the boat I say.;)

My swings are between 75-125 per session, so it's 100 reps on average. 100 is good and weekly 300 is enough for me. So your tactic is spot on. Also good thinking with the presses.

Yes, it's interesting how much vikings visited Vinland 1000 years ago. Basically they were everywhere back then. Some sources says, that vikings got their steel to make swords from Iran. That's a long distance with the boat I say.;)
My mother's family name before marriage was Malar, which is Swedish. Father's side is all English so plenty of Viking links there naturally, but in any case England was part of the Viking Age (but not always happy to be, haha!) and Canada too, strangely enough!

Regarding my workouts, I'm pretty much still doing S&S as written in the book, except that I'm using a lighter weight for the swings, and I'm adding in a full pressing programme. The pressing is critical I think for fencing strength.

My mother's family name before marriage was Malar, which is Swedish. Father's side is all English so plenty of Viking links there naturally, but in any case England was part of the Viking Age (but not always happy to be, haha!) and Canada too, strangely enough!
I have relatives in Norway, Sweden and Canada too. So plenty of viking links too. ;)
Regarding my workouts, I'm pretty much still doing S&S as written in the book, except that I'm using a lighter weight for the swings, and I'm adding in a full pressing programme. The pressing is critical I think for fencing strength.
I too feel that pressing is critical.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom