all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S similar to Tabata?

On a related note, the use of VO2 max in research is somewhat a choice of convenience. It is relatively easily quantified and measurable. Plus it shows significant change quickly in the untrained. But at least in endurance sports, it’s not necessarily the best predictor of event performance.

As @cwheeler33 pointed out, I thought Tabata required that you reach 170% VO2max and repeat until you no longer can. You can certainly do intervals of 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off but if you're not measuring VO2max can you really call it a Tabata?
Most of the research considers it comparable if you hit 90% or higher of your HR max.

I know this is a tad old, but I think the confusion around S&S and Tabata is because of the goals section. The entire book gives a philosophy that focuses on form not breaking down, and engaging with intensity at each practice (not a workout). So the actual practice would be:
  • 100 one arm swings in sets of 10 - No time limit. The only limit is resting enough so that you can perform the entire session without breaking down forum because of muscle fatigue. For me, this turns into an EMOM.
However, towards the end of the book, Pavel shows how a person can build up in weight. Then at the end, he provides a final "GOALS" section. The goal is the ultimate test, it is not the 'workout.' What occurs is the below gets posted as the S&S 'workout' when in reality the 100 swings within 5 min. is the goal or final test.
1681157830892.png

I know this is a tad old, but I think the confusion around S&S and Tabata is because of the goals section. The entire book gives a philosophy that focuses on form not breaking down, and engaging with intensity at each practice (not a workout). So the actual practice would be:
  • 100 one arm swings in sets of 10 - No time limit. The only limit is resting enough so that you can perform the entire session without breaking down forum because of muscle fatigue. For me, this turns into an EMOM.
However, towards the end of the book, Pavel shows how a person can build up in weight. Then at the end, he provides a final "GOALS" section. The goal is the ultimate test, it is not the 'workout.' What occurs is the below gets posted as the S&S 'workout' when in reality the 100 swings within 5 min. is the goal or final test.
View attachment 21041
To echo this sentiment ... An excerpt from Q&D

Screenshot_2023-04-10-18-26-59-38_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

Isn’t this why the OP said “Timed S&S” though.

He wasn’t saying the swings portion of every S&S session is like this.

Back
Top Bottom