all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

burtchellr

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey all. I just finished reading pavers new book, and I was curious. With my current program I'm training planche, front lever, l-sits, and handstand 4-6x a week with various combinations of horizontal and vertical body weight pressing/pulling and squat exercises.

If I wanted to incorporate S&S into my program, could I still work on my gymnastic skills(planche, levers, sits, and handstands) prior to the S&S program?

Robert, no conflict at all.  Although it would be best to have at least 30min of rest, and even better some hours, between your gymnastic work and S&S.

Pavel,

read your book, different approach in program minimum from ETK.  Do you recommend active (like jogging) recovery between sets of swings?

i do like the format cause some weeks I have more time to do more.

would this be optimum for fat loss too? My only comparison is ETK.  Which is(was) my workout bible

Rick, very light jogging, shadow boxing or kickboxing, or skipping rope are excellent active rest choices between sets of swings.

Pavel,
Thank you for your advice. I did my gymnastic movements at roughly 0730, and the I performed 5x10,10 and 5x1,1 at roughly 16:00.
Splitting them up like that felt great vs using metabolic finishers( I guess the new fad) right after my strength session.

I look forward to taking a SFG and SFB course, after I finish basic training, to learn even more no fluff techniques to ad to my training.

Pavel,

for 2 handed swings, same goal of 100 swings per workout? 10x10 or 5x20?

also, recommended time to start with between sets of swings for active recovery?  I plan to start at a minute like ETK PM

thanks,

love your publications and influence

Rick,

I'm no SF certified person, but I think I can answer your question.

You asked, "for 2 handed swings, same goal of 100 swings per workout? 10×10 or 5×20?"

When I read the book, Pavel says that the total number of swings is relative to the total amount of swings you perform regardless of whether or not it's two handed, H2H or one handed kind.  So in other words, if I perform 100 two handed swings and you perform 50 L and 50 R we both performed 100 swings (of course I know these are to be broken down into our sets, I'm just typing this way for brevity's sake).

The way I understand it (and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) is that the goal is to only use one-handed swings once the practitioner is good enough in that swing.

I read it like this: two-handed swings = good; H2H swings = better and one-handed swings = best.  So, while you're still going to keep the amount of swings, regardless of which kind you do, to 100, the ultimate goal is to get to where you are only using the one-hand variety.

TAKE YOUR TIME TO GET THERE.  Read my earlier post about that.  You're becoming a better man regardless.  Sidelining yourself will not help your manly cause.

Pavel,

I bought and read your new book and confused about how to perform the TGU's. Should I do 5 in a row on r hand then recover and do the same with the l hand.

thanks,

Rick

I think it's one left, one right then shake it off before you do another set of one left one right.

I guess this is the official Q&A thread for S&S

If I go for 3 days a week, can I practise Squat and bench on other 2 days?
I don’t have a sport, so it can be my imaginary non-competitive powerlifting training. Thinking about doing one lift on each day 5x5ish

(not trying to be “that guy” but the book said S&S is good for powerlifters)

I've really been working on my Deadlift recently, and would like to continue to do so.  This had initially caused me to decide to delay doing S&S, but based on Pavel's responses in this thread, particularly here (http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/ss-2/#post-24687), I think that S&S might combine with PTTP very well.

Perhaps an AM/PM split, hitting KB on one and the Barbell on the other.  If I were to do this, which do you guys think should be morning and which should be done in the evening?

Then the only thing lacking would be Pull-ups.  But perhaps GTG?  Or would combining S&S, GTG, and PTTP be too much?

Also checking in on S&S.

If I do s&S 3-4 days a week would it still be okay to GTG on Pistols,One Arm Push Ups and regular Pull Ups during the week also(2-3 times a week?)? This would be along with my 3-4 sessions of Enshin Karate.

Mike and Swann, it's hard to know how your body will react, because everyone is different. I'd recommend starting with just S&S, after you get used to the programming then start adding in the extras.

Honestly, I have to say I am amazed that no matter what program comes about, there are questions about how to do it, or how to tweak it. I think the key is do what the program says as long as you can meet the "end goal". For S&S it was clear to me when listening to the audiobook that when meeting 100 H2H swings in 5 minutes, and 10 get ups in 10 minutes, then you can move up a bell size. It doesn't matter to me if I do them 5 one side then 5 another side or 1 left 1 right repeat 5 times. As long as I am getting 10 get ups in, that is what counts. The confusion around this really gets me.....just put the work in. Pavel seemed to address this as well in S&S

Regarding the adding things in addition to S&S, just listen to your body. Feel like you can handle it? Then do it. Become a better man. Then "go home and eat like a man and sleep like a boy" :D

You misunderstand Daniel....

It's not that we don't want to do the program or that we want to tweak it.  But in some cases - such as mine - we have specific goals that we are pursuing.  We are excited by what S&S offers, but still need to pursue our goals.  So we are asking how to (for example) combine S&S with PTTP not in disregard for S&S, but rather out of admiration for it.  The hope of enjoying this incredible offering without sacrificing individual goals.

@Daniel,

i dont know know about the audio book but in the Kindle version of S&S the swings are specified as 1H not H2H. The TGU are alternating not consecutive.

@ Swann 1 - understood. I didn't mean to sound against pursuing personal goals. I just feel like the extra tweaks really throw people off sometimes. Just gotta do what you feel is right sometimes, yeah?

@Giles - I sit corrected. It is indeed 1H and not H2H.....I mistyped that. But point being, even if it wasn't specified, you will still get great effects either way

I have a question on the S&S swing goal time.  If it takes me 20 seconds to do 10 swings and I rest for 40 seconds, that'd be a minute per set and 10 minutes total.  I'm not sure how to get to 5 minutes for 100 swings with ample rest.  BREAK BREAK  Can you give those of us that use heart rate monitors a guideline?  I try to stay in 60-80% max HR zone.  Starting an exercise once my HR hits 60% again.  Спасибо

The goal is a 1:1 work to rest ratio not a 1:2 ratio. 20 seconds of swings equals 20 seconds of rest. The goal would be about 15 second work and 15 second rest.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom