all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Safe exercise after 40 limited to 3-5 hours weekly

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I would take that with a huge pinch of salt. At least half the cardioligists I've worked with in the past were training for a marathon or iron man (the other half were recovering from injuries from their training). They were mostly over 40.

I think overtraining has negative effects no more matter what your age is. You're just more likely to get away with it when you're younger. Intensity is the key. 3 to 5 hours a week doing what? Constant HIIT, high reps to failure, short intervals between sets, no rest days, no pain no gain, etc is a sure fire way to trigger your body's inflammatory response which causes all kinds of problems.

I used to train that way and it made me hate working out. Since I've switched to S&S in an A+A style I look forward to my workouts and feel great not only immediately afterwards but when I wake up the next day too. It's not only a healthy way to train but imo it's the smart way to train. I'm 59 years young and I feel better today than I did 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Well, there's only a small chance for me to pass working-age anyway. All men in my family has died young. I've never seen my mother's father, he's got severe diabetes and died very young. My father's father survived Winter War, but had a heart attach and died when I was very young. My father died @ working-age few years back to cerebral hemorrhage, caused by aggressive treatments. He had a leukemia thou. My cousin has got a few cerebral hemorrhages. First one before he was 30. He's alive, but in a poor condition. All I'm saying that people die young for different reasons.

I'm now 40. Of course I've tried to reduce my bad habits and added some exercising, but I want to enjoy life too.

What is best in my age? Practice moderately or finding minimum effective dose? No one knows, but I'll try to do at least something. Not that I fear the reaper, but still...

While not being frequent, sudden death of athletes is not exceptional. Many of them in their 20s and 30s.
Most often than not, they had a congenital heart issue that was undetected, even though they had regular checkup.

The recommandation they give : "... tests such as blood pressure, cholesterol, family history, weight and smoking status."
So basically, eat clean, don't smoke, know your family history, control your blood pressure.

Hello,

I'd be curious to precisely see his complete training, over the years: overtraining / type of training? nutrition ? "drugs" ? stress due to the meet ? genetics ? I think we have to be cautious because there are plenty of variables.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I reckon I've got this covered: I don't smoke, I wear a seatbelt and I don't do Iron Mans/Men.

As for everything else I'm not going to avoid living just so I can not-live a little bit longer.

This a reply from @mprevost from an older related thread:

All good questions. Based on the American College of Sports Medicine Recommendations, and research I have gathered, plus some informed estimates on my part, here is what I think in terms of cardiovascular training for health. Pick one of the zones below (or mix and match) and perform the workout 3-5 times per week (5 times is better). I would consider each to be approximately equivalent in terms of reducing risk of mortality and improving health. So, for example, 45 minutes in zone 1 would be about the same as doing 5 minutes on zone 5 in terms of health outcomes. Again, this is for health, not performance. I am in the process of preparing an e-book or document that discusses all of this in more detail. It is mostly for my students for now.

Zone (% of Max Heart Rate) Time (minutes)
1 (60-72) 30-60
2 (72-82) 20-60
3 (82-87) 15-30
4 (88-92) 10-15
5 (93-100) 4-6

mprevost, Jan 2, 2017

....copied from a bookmark, dunno why the chart didn't copy well.

This a reply from @mprevost from an older related thread:

All good questions. Based on the American College of Sports Medicine Recommendations, and research I have gathered, plus some informed estimates on my part, here is what I think in terms of cardiovascular training for health. Pick one of the zones below (or mix and match) and perform the workout 3-5 times per week (5 times is better). I would consider each to be approximately equivalent in terms of reducing risk of mortality and improving health. So, for example, 45 minutes in zone 1 would be about the same as doing 5 minutes on zone 5 in terms of health outcomes. Again, this is for health, not performance. I am in the process of preparing an e-book or document that discusses all of this in more detail. It is mostly for my students for now.

Zone (% of Max Heart Rate) Time (minutes)
1 (60-72) 30-60
2 (72-82) 20-60
3 (82-87) 15-30
4 (88-92) 10-15
5 (93-100) 4-6

mprevost, Jan 2, 2017

....copied from a bookmark, dunno why the chart didn't copy well.

At zone 1 you'd be training 3-5 hours a week.

Honestly, I'm lucky if I get to train more than 3-4 hours a week.

Anna C said:
The TedX talk in the second link is pretty interesting.
Interesting links, thank you.
The TedX talk was interesting. Focused on low intensity endurance, with no mention of proper strength training.

On the subject of master training, Dr Johnathan M. Sullivan and Andy Baker have written an interesting book I am reading at the moment, "The barbell prescription".
Being associated with Rip, it is of course biased to barbells, sleds, and Rip's programs, but many topics are in accordance with StrongFirst principles. The central one is that you should be strong first, then think of conditioning.

I will keep advising strength training (barbell, kettlebell and/or bodyweight) for maximal strength, lot of walking, and careful conditioning for people over 40.

@ali, we're off the topic here, but because it may benefit others:

1) I updated your link to reference the specific post you were talking about, with the chart.

2) The chart looks nice because I went in and formatted it.

3) Anyone can do 1) above. If you look at the lower right corner of any post, just to the left of the place to click Like, you'll see a "#" and a number - if you click on it, you'll see a link that includes the specific message number at the end of the URL. On my desktop computers, when I click that number, the URL comes up already highlighted so all I do is Copy (cmd+C on a Mac, ctrl+C on a PC), then paste in that link.

4) Regarding 2) above, if you look at the top, right corner when you're composing or editing a message, in the very corner, next to the Tx thingie, you'll see a thing that looks sort of like a small picture of a piece of paper. Click on that and you'll be in the codes editor, where you can see all little codes that might be used in formatting a message.

Creating a table here is cumbersome but it does work, see below. (The CODE designation allows me to show you the formatting codes without it actually becoming displayed as a table.)

Code:
[TABLE]
[TR][TH][SIZE=5]Zone (% of Max Heart Rate)[/SIZE][/TH][TH][SIZE=5]Time (minutes)[/SIZE][/TH][/TR]
[TR][TD][B]1 (60-72)[/B][/TD][TD]30-60[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD][B]2 (72-82)[/B][/TD][TD]20-60[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD][B]3 (82-87)[/B][/TD][TD]15-30[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD][B]4 (88-92)[/B][/TD][TD]10-15[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD][B]5 (93-100)[/B][/TD][TD]4-6[/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

TR is Table Row.
TH is Table Header.
TD is Table Data.
B is for bold typepace.
SIZE is the font size.

Zone (% of Max Heart Rate)Time (minutes)
1 (60-72)30-60
2 (72-82)20-60
3 (82-87)15-30
4 (88-92)10-15
5 (93-100)4-6

-S-

A little bit of additional information about formatting messages:

On my phone, I don't see the # + message number if I hold my phone vertically, but it does appear when I turn it sideways. I have a pretty big phone, so this might not work on some phones and/or some browsers. I am using the built-in Safari on an iPhone 6S-Plus.

-S-

Anyone can do 1) above. If you look at the lower right corner of any post, just to the left of the place to click Like, you'll see a "#" and a number - if you click on it, you'll see a link that includes the specific message number at the end of the URL.

Ah, thanks @Steve Freides. Puzzled by technology as I often am, that'll make things easier....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom