all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sandbag or keg?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Some more ideas how to make inner bags for little to no money:
- potato sacks
- pant legs of old jeans
- inner tubes from car tires

The first two will need additional lining with trash bags, the car tires won't (if you zip-tie the ende and wrap them in tape). From both jeans and inner tubes, you can make "bonbon" shaped sandbags that can double as bulgarian bags, and there's no law against using them as filler bags. A size M pant leg will hold up to 17 kg of sand in that fashion, the recommended weight for a middle- to heavyweight. With tires, it will depend on the size, but you can make pretty big ones from truck or tractor tires. Interestingly enough, most of the wrestling teams in the not-so-wealthy European countries (like Croatia or Hungary) will work out with improvised Bulgarian bags from inner tubes rather than shelling out the 200$ a piece the real thing costs over here.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of cerberus double ply bags. Used them a few times for A&A training. Same way I program it for snatches but with bag over shoulder for 4 reps per set. Which is 2 per shoulder.

Kegs are also a great tool. But I'd go for the bags.

New bag, make from an air sofa. I cut it to half, go to the local seamtress and ask them to make two bags from it.
The sand moves more freely inside and the material is less fraction make it much more challenging to lift.
The down side is the seam seems weak and i dont know how long could it hold.
Total cost is 160 000 vnd, which about 7 or 8 us dollar.
I also order the bag from China, also this weekend i will seek the more durable material

Attachments

• IMG_9346.JPG
    IMG_9346.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 7
I made a 90 kg sandbag in the past from old and cheap material (and old coffee bag as an outside bag). It serves me well for squatting.
The Tet holiday is near (about 1 month from now) and I need to update the bag if I want to put it inside of my apartment (less sand leakage + doesn't look like I pick it up from a construction).

I have a few choices:
- Ordering a sandbag from well-known brand (Irondmind, Cerberus, Project Kratus...) It may be the best option in terms of quality, but it's expensive. Bag price plus shipping to my place = (1/3, 1/2) my monthly income.
- Buying a 50 liters beer keg and stuff as much sand as possible to it. Price is cheaper, I can get it quickly (just go to the local beer). But set up looks hard and I don't really know what exercise to do with the keg.
- Ordering a cheaper sandbag from China. That was my first choice before the traffic happends. The supplier said that if ordering now probably I will get my bag after 2 months => that defeats the purpose.

So what do you guys thing? Suck it up, take a bank loan and ordering a new quality sandbag? Or make a heavy keg and train with it? Or other options? I would love to hear.
Army duffel bag off of Amazon. I have a Cerberus bag and the clip snapped not long after purchase so now it’s gaffer taped up. It’s a personal choice really but the safety factor of the bag is always the deciding factor. If and, G-d forbid, you drop a bag on your foot it’s nothing. A keg or a rock will turn you into Lord Byron.

If you are worrying about the amount of sand/weight you can get in a keg you could fill it with sand then add water to increase the weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom