all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Scheduling additional hypertrophy sessions amidst all-around training.

Mike Mentzer was not Dorian's coach at any time. It's just that when they met, Dorian was training under Mike's supervision. Dorian made all the programs himself. Dorian himself says these things in many interviews he has given. Dorian says that when they asked Mike if he was Dorian's coach, he didn't say he was his coach. At the same time, however, he did not deny it, which led people to draw wrong conclusions. They just shared similar training philosophies and how to build muscle. In fact, from the beginning, Dorian trained with fewer sets and reps until failure. His first two programs are Chest with Arms/Legs/Back and Shoulders and the other program is Torso and Limbs three times a week with alternating workouts. Finally it goes to shoulders, trapezius and triceps/back/rest/chest and biceps/legs/rest/rest. In this latest program, he now only does one set to failure or beyond with the help of a partner.

I mean to offer a clarification...
  • The various Strong Endurance protocols/templates each have a prescribed frequency.
  • A given template/protocol does not prescribe a decreasing frequency.
Aside: I very much enjoy thinking of the Warm-Up Idea. Very useful.

Chart Comparing Relative Non-Linearity of Rest-Between-Sessions
Intensity Level of Each Protocol
Max Training Frequency (Days / Week)
Average Rest Days Between Sessions
5+
I found that when I reviewed the templates (and was thinking differently about recovery between sessions) - in Strong Endurance (and Probably other areas of programming) - there is a rather clearly non-linear relationship between the inherent intensities prescribed by the protocols and the rest required by them.

some of the increases are as linear as an observable increase of reps per set by increments of 5.​
others have per-session-volume differences.​
But, as these increments are comparably linear in differences in the loading between separate programs - they demand much more rest between them.​

Again, To clarify: a given protocol does not specify a decreasing frequency within its own framework. Rather, each protocol (as they sit on a spectrum of density or intensity) specifies its own regular frequency of training throughout the week; for the duration of the training cycle. And, the newer perspective in my thinking is that this infers a rapidly rising number of days off between sessions for recovery and adaptation. This is an adjustment in my thinking about Programming, Load, Recovery, and related sensations of freshness, and fatigue.

It happens to render differently in my mind's eye, now that I think of it. and it makes some sense, given the intentions of the Strong Endurance program design; which thus far is serving me well. I'm glad for the intentionally acquired Hypertrophy which is apparently visible to others after a few weeks of training.

A Thought on Mentzer and His Evangelism for HIT Training

I do believe it's possible that for the purposes of Body Building (at his elite level) that higher levels of intrasession intensity (Like training to failure in a single set) may have been necessary and successful. And, while it could be the case that HIT-style training was partially useful (and, to whatever extent, effective) for any other trainee, maybe it was (and is) sub-optimal for many beginner or intermediate trainees. I believe there is a special place in the afterlife for anyone who puts their money where their mouth is, practices what they preach, and walks the walk, above and beyond one who talks the talk.

I do find that there is at least something to learn from Mr. Mentzer (and apparently Mr. Jones) and his success, even if it's not the wholesale adoption of all his prescribed methods and implementations. Even without adoption - there is value in considering the information, and his claims, to at least add to my existing, nascent, naive, perspective. I also appreciate his noting that volume beyond necessity is a negative factor. He's rare, (in my memory) but not alone, to offer that claim. But, his presentation is much more aggressive. he claims: Not that it resembles Junk, not that it's neutral, if unnecessary; but that it's Subtractive. "Stimulate, Don't Annihilate" indeed.

In General:
As a neophyte, I'm glad to benefit from those who came before me.
Mentzer used HIT in ways that the modern HIT purists would not endorse. He used warm up sets prior to a set to failure (Chris Thib), he used myo-reps (a close cousin to Cluster Sets). In my own training I have come to believe HIT works better the larger and stronger one gets.

There is a large difference in adaptive response between one set to failure and last set to failure in my experience.

Well, in principle, if only the last set is up to failure, it means that there is actually only one set up to failure. In both cases you must have previous sets. Perhaps you mean that in one case the sets are lighter and the last is only the heaviest. In fact, Dorian says he didn't do just one set as is wrongly believed, as the previous ones weren't very light either. It's just that the last one is a failure. I don't know for the average exerciser if this thing works. At first it is difficult to put in such an effort and really end up giving up on many of the exercises. And secondly, maybe it works if you're on medication.

I will say, given my equipment constraints, this one seems to be the most easily employed tactic so far.
For a super minimalist BuiltStrong plan, those three exercises definitely blanket bomb the body.

Edit: I do have built strong minimalist. It is very good looking. But I am low in equipment selection and the number of exercises I'm well trained in . It will be put to use in a future cycle.
That's the beauty of the program! You can do it with as few as 3 exercises or as many as 9.

Even with 2-3 kettlebells and some body-weight exercises (pushups, dips, chin-ups, pull-ups, pistol squats), you can have a pretty sweet program.

I used 9 exercises for my first 8-week run through. I'm using 6 exercises for my next 8-week run because I want to work on my 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses.

After that, I'll see where I'm at and switch some things around.

Well, in principle, if only the last set is up to failure, it means that there is actually only one set up to failure. In both cases you must have previous sets.
In the case of a HIT purist, only one set per exercise is performed.
In my experience, added sets up front, even at modest loading, provide a considerable boost effect to that last (only) set to failure.

The plan seems to be paying off.
Strong Endurance Hypertrophy Plan has yielded some increased size.

Just finished climbing the top of the first ladder to the 15/6 day, today.
Got a pump today
Didn't come off of much soreness.
some slight fatigue in the lower back.

Next week will start working with 20 rep sets, from 20/2 to 20/5

Iron Cardio (IC) + Hypertrophy (H) + Step&Carry (S&C)
M​
T​
W​
T​
F​
IC
15/4
IC
15/4
IC
IC*
15/4