all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG Level 1 Cert Test Requirements and Prep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

aussieluke

Level 4 Valued Member
I'm considering taking the SFG Level 1 cert in Perth, Australia in November.

Have been working through the Brett Jones prep circuits, snatch test prep, and workouts of 400+ swings with snatch-sized bell and above.

But just noticed that the testing requirements are not what they used to be, which I believe was 5 reps of double snatch-size-bell press, clean, front squat, swing etc and, and that they are now:

• Swing (one snatch-test-sized bell)
  • Get-Up (one snatch-test-sized bell)
  • Double Clean (two snatch-test-sized bells)
  • Press (one snatch-test-sized bell)
  • Double Front Squat (two snatch-test-sized bells)
  • Snatch (one snatch-test-sized bell)

So, snatch test aside, testing on the other movements is much easier and with no fixed rep requirement? ...and thus a lot of Brett Jones' prep workouts are essentially overkill?

Will there still be teaching (and therefore the necessity to be able to perform a lot of) the double bell press and double bell swing, for example?

I just checked that out after I read your post Luke. I couldn't find any details on the number of reps required except for the snatch test.

I just assumed it would be tougher than that, even if there is a rep requirement for the other lifts I could do ten reps in any of them now & my body has more screws in it than a meccano tractor. Maybe they are looking for quality of the reps more than just the quantity ?

The SFG level two doesn't seem to have any requirement for number of reps either.

Edit: I did see a rep requirement for recertification but nothing specific to a first time certification.

Last edited:
aussieluke, I did the SFG in May 2015 after the new standards were published. Basically the change is that the swing and press were changed from double to single. Both of these are actually a bit harder - skill-wise - to perform as singles. We did not do double swings and presses. We DID do double cleans and squats, so you still have to be very comfortable with the double bells.

Prep workouts are not overkill, trust me on this! You are not doing all that prep work so that you can do the 5 reps for the performance test. You are prepping for 3 very demanding days of hundreds of reps of all of the moves. And yes, the tests are looking for quality. Very high standards.

But yes, you may want to change some of the prep work in the presses and swings to singles. Also recommend using a bell heavier than your required one for much of your prep work.

Thanks for clarifying, Anna.

I only mean overkill in that there is a big difference in double presses over single presses in terms of stress on the system as a whole, and double swings are a different beast to heavy single bell swings.

No point practicing anything that isn't going to be taught or tested as part of the weekend.

Here we go:

• Swing (one snatch-test-sized bell) x 10+10
  • Get-Up (one snatch-test-sized bell) x 1+1
  • Double Clean (two snatch-test-sized bells) x 5
  • Press (one snatch-test-sized bell) x 5+5
  • Double Front Squat (two snatch-test-sized bells) x 5
  • Snatch (one snatch-test-sized bell) x 5+5

You will still practice double swings and double MP.

The prep program is still a great way to prepare.

The weekend did not get easier - at all.

Thanks Brett. My thoughts exactly were to combine all the relevant lifts into one circuit as above, which would then free up one day to focus on the DKBFS and one arm press.

I have no doubt the weekend itself is not 'easier', but if testing at the end of three days is mostly about single bell movement quality and not double bell grind strength then I'm all for that.

Always better to go in overprepared :) remember that the testing happens on day 3 when you are already worked for two days

Do people normally taper or carbo load for the certification tests, or do you just go in off the back of a normal training schedule ?

I know it's not like preparing for a marathon or an ultra endurance event, but it does seem like some thought in this regard wouldn't be a bad idea.

Always better to go in overprepared :) remember that the testing happens on day 3 when you are already worked for two days

Absolutely Mark, and for that reason I'd rather be over-prepared on the exact tested lifts than something else ...eg. I would rather work now on adding reps to my 32kg press than my double 24 press.

Absolutely Mark, and for that reason I'd rather be over-prepared on the exact tested lifts than something else ...eg. I would rather work now on adding reps to my 32kg press than my double 24 press.
Yes and always listen to your body. The healthier you are as you approach the cert, the better you will do

The standards seem to be the same as when I first did the RKC in 2009, except for single bells for the swing and press.

Others already gave good feedback. A few points I'd like to emphasize:

It's a very high cumulative workload over consecutive days, so the capacity to handle that workload is key. The more you struggle physically, the less you will be able to attend to the mental/informational side of the instructor training.

In my opinion and experience, the key areas to focus on are:

Hip drive power/endurance. Tons of swings and snatches. Work as much with heavier than test size bells as possible: double swings and cleans, over-belled snatches and one and two armed swings. Fill out high volume sessions with the test size bell when you start to lose snap or your hands start barking with the heavier bells.

Grip strength/endurance and hand conditioning. A weak and/or tired grip not only limits the amount of work you can do, but has all kinds of bad effects on the power you can express and on your technique. Your hips might be strong, but if you are not secure in your grip, your body will be inhibited from expressing that strength, and will try to compensate in other ways that compromise crisp technique. Also, a weak/tired grip will lead to overgripping and skin tears (not fun when you have no choice but to keep doing rep after rep for three days). Building up to a high volume with heavy bells in training not only gives you a strength and endurance reserve, but toughens the skin on your hands. The difference in skin toughness between a reasonable normal level of training, even over the long term, and a really high volume over period of months is significant.

Don't sleep on two arm swings. Not only do they hit the hips hard because you can go heavy, but they also can have a surprising impact on grip endurance since neither arm gets to rest while the other is working.

Overhead endurance. Can you keep bells overhead and locked out over a high number of reps? In normal training, even doing a lot of get ups, presses and snatches, we don't necessarily spend a lot of time in overhead lockout. Do you really get your arm vertical and fully (not almost fully) locked out? An ounce of mobility improvement can be worth a pound of strength improvement here (depending on your current mobility).

Technique. Technique will get tuned up at the cert, but the better you are to start with, the easier it will be both physically and mentally. You want to be able to tune up and not have to catch up.

Overall, I think it is hard to overprepare. That being said, you want to go in healthy and rested, which means being smart about building volume in training over time, paying attention to recovery, and not being stupid about pushing through incipient overuse injuries. I also wouldn't worry about tapering training leading up the cert, but a few days off from lifting beforehand, with just some light active recovery work, would be wise.

I must agree with Anna C, you have to be ready for three days of the cer, not only for the testing. Even if you come overprepared (if that could happen :) ), you will be able to focus more on learning the details...

Here we go:

• Swing (one snatch-test-sized bell) x 10+10
  • Get-Up (one snatch-test-sized bell) x 1+1
  • Double Clean (two snatch-test-sized bells) x 5
  • Press (one snatch-test-sized bell) x 5+5
  • Double Front Squat (two snatch-test-sized bells) x 5
  • Snatch (one snatch-test-sized bell) x 5+5
You will still practice double swings and double MP.

The prep program is still a great way to prepare.

The weekend did not get easier - at all.

Hi, I'm new to the site.
What is a "one snatch test sized bell" and how is it determined? Also I don't understand the requirements above. ex: 10 + 10?
Thanks

Hi Paul, here are the requirements and snatch-test sizes Kettlebell Instructor Certification (SFG1) - StrongFirst

The above list references the technique tests. You have to demonstrate complete proficiency to all the standards for eqch move: 10 swings L and 10 swings R; Getup 1 L and 1 R, Double clean 5 reps, press 5 L and 5R, double front squat 5 reps, and snatch 5 L and 5 R. In addition to the technique tests you have to pass the snatch test and a written test, and be able to make it through 3 long hard days of intense practice, mostly using the same size kettlebell as what you test with. Hope this helps!

I workout with kettlebells pretty much just to stay fit. I'm 58 yo in fairly good shape, 5'6" and weight around 155lbs, and probably won't be doing any certification. With that said I have a 35lb, 26lb, 18lb and a 10lb kettlebells. I'm am looking to get a pair of 20kg. What would be a good workout regiment? I know this is a broad question, but any advice is welcome.
Thanks Anna for your reply.

I workout with kettlebells pretty much just to stay fit. I'm 58 yo in fairly good shape, 5'6" and weight around 155lbs, and probably won't be doing any certification. With that said I have a 35lb, 26lb, 18lb and a 10lb kettlebells. I'm am looking to get a pair of 20kg. What would be a good workout regiment? I know this is a broad question, but any advice is welcome.
Thanks Anna for your reply.

A big yes. Getting stronger in a safe and progressive manner is always a good thing IMHO

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom