all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG1 benefits for non-professional

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Now I'm confused. So that drop is basically okay, but I have to beware that I don't lean too much back from my spine?
That type of drop is very natural to me, but I'm willing to learn away from it naturally if cert demands it..

@Harald Motz @Steve W.

Last edited:
Now I'm confused. So that drop is basically okay, but I have beware that I don't lean too much back from my spine?
That type of drop is very natural to me, but I'm willing to learn away from it naturally if cert demands it..

@Harald Motz @Steve W.

Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. But for certification purposes, I can't give you an authoritative answer.

And it is my understanding that the standard for the 5 minute test MAY allow for more stylistic variation than the technique test (this is the case in my experience, but my certification experience is not recent).

SFG I is a long-term goal of mine (I did the kettlebell course a few weekends ago, but don't feel I'll be ready within a year for the discount #sadtrombone). I'm a little curious about how strict they are on get-up technique. One of the things I know about myself (and we all noticed at the kettlebell course) - I can't flex my toes back to "grip" the mat. I'm trying to figure out how to increase strength/mobility - but am having little luck so far. If I'm not able to improve my toe dorsiflexion will this prevent me from passing the get up skills test?

This is a good page. Exercises to Protect Your Feet and Ankles

1. Wear shoes less or minimal shoes to get toe function back.
2. Grip a lacrosse ball in your toes and stretch. You might even find it painful at first but be surprised at the lack of mobility of your toes. I was. Our toes are actually capable of complex movement (just search youtube), but we have lost almost all function from wearing shoes.
3. Tight calves are often to blame for other movement problems up and down the kinetic chain. Stretch your calves. Just put your foot against a post, doorstop or curb when waiting for a traffic light. I try to stretch often.
4. Move more. After doing Muai Thai for fitness, my foot mobility has greatly improved. How much do you at least walk?

I love GMB! I hadn't read this page before though - thanks!

1. Wear shoes less or minimal shoes to get toe function back.
I'm usually pretty good about this, but coming out of winter I have been wearing some infelxible winterproof boots when I walk outside. All my practice is done barefoot though. I have been considering getting a pair of Vibrams (instead of the sandals I usually wear in warmer months). I'm stuck in shoes at work though. :/
2. Grip a lacrosse ball in your toes and stretch. You might even find it painful at first but be surprised at the lack of mobility of your toes. I was. Our toes are actually capable of complex movement (just search youtube), but we have lost almost all function from wearing shoes.
I'm curious to try this one when I get home. I can grip pretty good - will this help moving the other way too?
3. Tight calves are often to blame for other movement problems up and down the kinetic chain. Stretch your calves. Just put your foot against a post, doorstop or curb when waiting for a traffic light. I try to stretch often.
This is probably a big part of the issue for me. When I started goblet squatting with heavier weights I noticed my calves got sore. I've been stretching them out a lot recently. Combined with my tight hamstrings this is definitely an area in need of improvement.
4. Move more. After doing Muai Thai for fitness, my foot mobility has greatly improved. How much do you at least walk?
I walk a fair amount. I walk my dog several times a day and usually once during my lunch break. By default I clock at least a few miles every day.

Thanks for the ideas and recommendations. :)

I'd say it just depends on how deep you want your knowledge to go. I am not a professional archer or bow hunter, but I have found coaches and resources in that area that are the technical and coaching equivalent of StrongFirst, and I spend as much time with them as possible. Whether you are a professional or not is immaterial, I believe. If you want to be good at something you should train with the best. And, in my opinion, StrongFirst is the best.

I am and would be a non-professional. I haven't done the SFG I, but my hope is to do it in April 2019 in Chicago, IL at the dome. My goal of course is to take my own health and fitness to a new level and accomplish something I've previously not thought possible. I want to take those qualifications and the skill of the cert to train the Deep 6 for private students and group classes. I'd like to make my investment for the SFG I back and then perhaps have a modest side income.

Originally, I was going for the RKC I and was HKC certified on the way. I've not used the HKC certification other than to teach a few friends how to do the TASW, GS, rows, racks, and TGU to kneeling windmill. I switched to going for the SFG I, convinced by the robustness of the training materials that keep coming out and the engagement of the community. So I'm all in for attending the SFG I and hopefully earning my certification. And someday I would attend and earn SFL and then right and meet the requirements hope to open an S1 gym. It would do a great amount of good and offer a unique alternative to other training modalities that are predominate in the area.

Best of luck @Sauli!

I have sent many students through the certification. Off the top of my head I would say half were instructors and half did it for personnel development. I originally was like my friend Steve I did it for personal development and later taught.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom