all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple and Sinister and 50k race

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
. I need more consistent volume over time, especially in winter.

There is really no substitute for time in the saddle. The folks I ride with that are the most 'accomplished' riders are the ones with the most miles and the most elevation gain. Invariably they are doing 300+ miles / week.

If a person is putting in that much saddle time, then other training time comes at a premium....

It’s the consistent volume without interruption that I lack. Reading The Uphill Athlete helped make that clear. Interestingly it’s also a key line In Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, that’s liberation only comes after long, uninterrupted practice.

Historically I’ve taken quite a long off season in winter, hanging up the wheels. It used to be because I was skiing, lately I like to focus on strength over the winter. The problem is taking the time to rebuild lost aerobic fitness in spring, rather than building new and better fitness. Nothing inherently wrong with this approach, but with an objective goal, clearly I need to train differently.

It also hurt that we got over 4 feet of rain this season, most falling after the holidays. Too many days got shifted to the gym when base miles were needed. Of course, it would help if a I could move to Tucson for the winter and train every day on Mt. Lemmon like the pros, but that’s not happening.

If it’s all for fun, GPP, and health, then it doesn’t matter. It’s frustrating when so many others can get the results just doing it for fun, but it appears I need more structure. Or lowered expectations.

It’s the consistent volume without interruption that I lack. Reading The Uphill Athlete helped make that clear. Interestingly it’s also a key line In Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, that’s liberation only comes after long, uninterrupted practice.

Historically I’ve taken quite a long off season in winter, hanging up the wheels. It used to be because I was skiing, lately I like to focus on strength over the winter. The problem is taking the time to rebuild lost aerobic fitness in spring, rather than building new and better fitness. Nothing inherently wrong with this approach, but with an objective goal, clearly I need to train differently.

It also hurt that we got over 4 feet of rain this season, most falling after the holidays. Too many days got shifted to the gym when base miles were needed. Of course, it would help if a I could move to Tucson for the winter and train every day on Mt. Lemmon like the pros, but that’s not happening.

If it’s all for fun, GPP, and health, then it doesn’t matter. It’s frustrating when so many others can get the results just doing it for fun, but it appears I need more structure. Or lowered expectations.
I was watching the Tour the other day and they were profiling one of the few American riders: Ben King. He was recovering from an injury I believe, and one day he rode 8hrs... on an indoor trainer!

I will freely admit that I live in a sort of cycling nirvana. But I didn't always. I spent almost 15years living in Illinois and Michigan. Winters were pretty tough for riding. Tough but doable.
IMG_0472.JPG
A typical Saturday morning 90k gravel road ride.

You can come to out Camp each March in Tus?:)

Have you tried integrating in more ME work (ala Uphill athlete) I skimo race in winter but live a good drive from any Vert. So I have built some interval sessions using : Skierg, heavy pack and plyo box. I can get a BIG aerobic dose and mimic the ROM/SOM of skimo uphill skinning. I finish with some more iso/eccentric work to mimic the downs and bam. done.

I am not able to do training camps in Tucson. I wish. I saw a cool video of Emily Batty training there and I talked to Todd a Wells about it at the Leadville training camp. Nor Cal has mild winters by temp. but it’s a monsoon rain pattern. This year feet of rain came right when I really needed to accumulate base miles.

I have not tried the ME stuff from Uphill Athlete since I just read it. I will eventually, but first I just need to increase base strength more so I can benefit from it. What I did do this spring was 3-4 x 7-8 min climbs on a nearby trail near LT. It definitely helped my climbing. For now, base, base, base. As many miles as a I can on trails as much as possible. And a little DMPM for good measure.

I am not able to do training camps in Tucson. I wish. I saw a cool video of Emily Batty training there and I talked to Todd a Wells about it at the Leadville training camp. Nor Cal has mild winters by temp. but it’s a monsoon rain pattern. This year feet of rain came right when I really needed to accumulate base miles.

I have not tried the ME stuff from Uphill Athlete since I just read it. I will eventually, but first I just need to increase base strength more so I can benefit from it. What I did do this spring was 3-4 x 7-8 min climbs on a nearby trail near LT. It definitely helped my climbing. For now, base, base, base. As many miles as a I can on trails as much as possible. And a little DMPM for good measure.

TUS is vest good for early miles, but where you live is fine too. I coach 2 folks in the Bay area and they race well starting in late spring through Fall (1 doing Breck Epic) with very few trainer days and a healthy dose of bike miles and general strength.

When you use the word "base" for MTB racing, whats your baseline target for that? Is it a W/kg goal? a decoupling goal? etc? Just wondering

I don’t train with a power meter. I stay below MAF for as long as possible then allow HR to go up asmterrain demands.

This is my first post here, so some quick background: I ran my first ultra (56 km) last fall after using an Uphill Athlete training plan (which I loved, by the way). Soon thereafter I slipped a disc (L5/S1) and spent the next few months reading everything I could about fixing my back without surgery. That search led me to Stuart McGill, whose work led me to strongfirst and all the great material on this site. In June I took the SF Kettlebell Course and started working towards the S&S simple goals. Currently feeling good w/ 24 kg for swings and get-ups, planning to start adding the 32 soon.

My broader goals: 1) get stronger; 2) stay healthy; 3) re-build and then maintain an aerobic base big enough to climb bigg-ish peaks (maybe Mont Blanc next year) and complete long-ish trail runs with lots of vertical gain. Basically, I want to have the strength of a Beast Tamer and the endurance of an Uphill Athlete. And I want to work toward those goals methodically and intelligently without overtraining or injuring myself. I'm 39, male, 6'5", 80 kg, active my whole life but relatively new to strength training.

In short: is there an ideal way to combine SF strength training with Uphill Athlete endurance work? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

@mdr, have a look at Al Ciampa's site -- it sounds like exactly what you're looking for. In fact, one of the members is on a hike at Mont Blanc right now, and says the training served him well!

In short: is there an ideal way to combine SF strength training with Uphill Athlete endurance work? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
I don't know if there is an 'ideal' way, but there are several ways that will do the trick. As Anna said... a stop at @Al Ciampa 's site would be a good starting point.
There are several of us here that have just that focus... a blend of strength and endurance. Some more or less one direction than the other...

Reactions: mdr
Since programs like S&S and Easy Strength are meant to complement other forms of training, Insay jump in. Start small to feel how it works, you can always add more later. My take from reading the book is that their program is very specific to running and skimo, while S&S and ES are very much GPP.

Reactions: mdr
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom