all posts post new thread

Simple and Sinister February or Leap into S&S

Summary: Thanks for the challenge! I love the daily practice and (re) focusing on the swing:)

I'm late to the party 1) in participating in the log here; and 2) I started on February 6th. Today was my Day 22 of 29.

Context. At the height of my KB fitness so-to-speak I just barely but not quite performed Sinister (1h 32 kg kb swings and 24 kg TGUs). The "not quite" label was due to the swings being slightly lower than the standard chest high swing but I was extremely pleased to complete the time standard. That was 2016.

After other random focus areas since then I started the new year with a KB focus and coming off a complete hamstring rupture and repair in mid October of last year. A week or so in to January I undertook the 10k swing challenged and finished that on February 5th; my modification being I went lighter than standard and used a 12 kg kb.

I wanted to finish the 10k challenge before starting S&S Leap Into Feb... so I started February 6th. And here I am getting quite the swing groove going this year so far. I added on the Feb challenge to more of a glorified warm up routine that included(s) a one mile walk, mobility jump rope, glute bridges, push ups, and such.

So far I've varied kbs from 12kg up to 28 kg, 1H vs 2H, and set reps ranged from 10 - 50 for swings and 1+1 x 5 and 5 + 5 for TGUs.

I'm not quite done my 29 days but I certainly appreciated taking the month to revisit swings and get ups and am looking forward to what's next.

I followed Brett’s example, minus 4kg.
28 kg TGU 2+2
IC +S&S: c + p + squat (rest) 1H swing x 5. 40 sets (20 each side, 20 total sets of swings) in 23:07
TGU 2+2
TGU 1/1

We had a death in the family this past weekend, so I’ve been taking it easy and spending time with family. It’ll be much the same this week, but wanted to take advantage of the weather today.

Got outside and did:
20kg, 2H swings x 5, OTM for 10 mins
20kg Suitcase Carrys and 40lb. Sandbag shoulder carrys. Alternated between the two for about 15 mins.
Took the dog for a nice long walk with the wife.

I plan on finishing out the week with two S&S sessions on Thursday and Friday. Then I’m gonna start working in the 24kg.

This has been a fun little experiment. Playing around with rep schemes kept it interesting and being able to see what everybody else has been up to has been a blast.

If you need me, I’ll be on the road to simple. Thanks, Brett!

I didn’t get much of a before pic but this has been a good month for me on the challenge. I learned I still need to lose some weight to do TGU. I made great progress on stamina and some strength gains overall. S&S I plan to begin in mid March. Thanks Brett Jones! Feeling much stronger! 2 more days team!

Attachments

• IMG_1477.jpeg
    IMG_1477.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 5
2/26 - missed the session. Out of town for a work event.

2/27
TGU 20,28,20,28,20

H2H swings alternating weights 20, 28k
4x25 OTM.
13 sets with the 20
12 sets with the 28

Bouldered at home on the 45 for about 90 minutes. Very tired

Effort of the session was medium, but I could feel the heavier weight later in the day. There was some systemic joint fatigue

Late to the party here but @Brett Jones and I have been exchanging comments on socials..

Been doing the simply sinister training plan every Monday for 3 weeks now..

Managed timeless simple for the second week in a row..

I'm strongly considering keeping this approach and seeing if I can eventually lower the work to rest periods to 1:1

Last sets from last night

I pretty much started this month step-loading with 24kg as 1st set and 28kg as the next 4. After 28 days I hit all 28kg. It was fun chatting about this. I think I have been doing SxS for around 1.5 years now. I do it every day, and I started at 12kg. I hope to get to timeless 32kg by August or September. After that I will gear the program to 3 or 4 days a week and do random stuff other days.

Also yes, I know the book says 8kg for men jumps with 4 weeks per step or 4kg 2 weeks. I was able to do 4kg 2 weeks until transition from 20 to 24 then I started 4 weeks per step in order to own each step. I’m 6’5” and 40 years old with 2 back surgeries and I have not felt this good since I was a young Marine many years ago.

Last edited:

Took a “leap”, if you will, today and threw in two sets of 24kg for the swings and get ups!

20kg bell
8 sets of 10 1 hand swings, 24kg for last two sets
8 Turkish getups, 24kg for last two get ups.

I don’t remember ever doing 1H swings with the 24, but I’ve done plenty of 2H. It felt heavier, but felt like I kept good form. Time to start step loading that bad boy in.

Considering stopping by Rogue and grabbing a 28kg in May when I’m down in Ohio for kettlebell 101 and 201 with Brett. Seeming like I’ll need it by then!

Well, the end of the month! Today I decided to go all out.

Single hand swings L, R 10 x 10 E30, finished in 4:51. 3 min rest, then 10 TGU EMOM all with 16kg.
Very pleased with that as a PB, plus proved to myself that the timing is possible. 32kg seems a long way off though, but as the say every journey....

Many thanks to Brett for his guidance, and to everyone here for your support through the month. Good luck to you all, and in the words of the rock band Lindisfarne "We can swing together!"

Excellent work @Reggie20 and everyone @mvalenti , @L5S1 and all those participating in S&S February!

Today 2/29/2024
Double 32kg Iron Cardio x 10 sets timeless
rest
32kg one-arm swing x 10 x 10 sets in 6:40
rest
32kg get-up x 1 OTM x 10 sets

My initial baseline as over 10 min so nice progress but I did ignore the talk test stop sign today for a bit of a push.

Summary: Thanks for the challenge! I love the daily practice and (re) focusing on the swing:)

I'm late to the party 1) in participating in the log here; and 2) I started on February 6th. Today was my Day 22 of 29.

Context. At the height of my KB fitness so-to-speak I just barely but not quite performed Sinister (1h 32 kg kb swings and 24 kg TGUs). The "not quite" label was due to the swings being slightly lower than the standard chest high swing but I was extremely pleased to complete the time standard. That was 2016.

After other random focus areas since then I started the new year with a KB focus and coming off a complete hamstring rupture and repair in mid October of last year. A week or so in to January I undertook the 10k swing challenged and finished that on February 5th; my modification being I went lighter than standard and used a 12 kg kb.

I wanted to finish the 10k challenge before starting S&S Leap Into Feb... so I started February 6th. And here I am getting quite the swing groove going this year so far. I added on the Feb challenge to more of a glorified warm up routine that included(s) a one mile walk, mobility jump rope, glute bridges, push ups, and such.

So far I've varied kbs from 12kg up to 28 kg, 1H vs 2H, and set reps ranged from 10 - 50 for swings and 1+1 x 5 and 5 + 5 for TGUs.

I'm not quite done my 29 days but I certainly appreciated taking the month to revisit swings and get ups and am looking forward to what's next.
@avroomer
Excellent work

Last day. Thank you to Brett and everyone for sharing. It’s been fun to follow along. Congrats and good luck on what’s next! I plan to take a rest or deload week with a lot of stationary bike work. (Prep for a ride on 3/17). I finished the month with Timeless Simple @ 32kg today.

Warm-up: 1x5 Jerk L, R 20kg
32 kg one-arm swing 10x10 in 7:24
Rest one minute
32kg get-up x 1 OTM 10 sets

Today was my Day 29 to complete the Leap challenge... yes to 29 consecutive S&S days (31 if you count my last two days of swings with the 10K challenge;)).

I wanted to finish with a "strong" heavy session (to me) culminating the experience at a pinnacle of strength and stamina. However, I did not. I just wasn't feeling it. My goal was to end with 24 kg 1H swings and 20 kg TGUs and settled for 24 kg 2H swings and 16 kg for the TGU.

I pondered this approach and decided to take a lesson in my 50+ years that consistency trumps a careless effort for the sake of effort. I will live to swing another day and feel a day or two of rest will do me good. This is NOT to diminish the value of the challenge to have the work session every day. There are lessons here and I will be a astute listener of my body and keep moving forward:)

In appreciation of the community and forum,
Amy

Today was my Day 29 to complete the Leap challenge... yes to 29 consecutive S&S days (31 if you count my last two days of swings with the 10K challenge;)).

I wanted to finish with a "strong" heavy session (to me) culminating the experience at a pinnacle of strength and stamina. However, I did not. I just wasn't feeling it. My goal was to end with 24 kg 1H swings and 20 kg TGUs and settled for 24 kg 2H swings and 16 kg for the TGU.

I pondered this approach and decided to take a lesson in my 50+ years that consistency trumps a careless effort for the sake of effort. I will live to swing another day and feel a day or two of rest will do me good. This is NOT to diminish the value of the challenge to have the work session every day. There are lessons here and I will be a astute listener of my body and keep moving forward:)

In appreciation of the community and forum,
Amy
Amy

Well done and agreed on listening to the signals from your body.

Back
Top Bottom