all posts post new thread

Sinister

John sardos

Level 4 Valued Member
Been training for sinister over the last 2 years now. Due to vacations and travel for work I feel like i have had to take many step backs during my training. I feel like I am currently close but so far away still. My schedule should allow some consistent training over the next 2 months so really want to dial in my training. I can do 3 Min of the test with the 48KG. I am training 3 days a week:

Current outline-
Day 1
Reps 5-10-15-20-25
anywhere from 32-40 KG
Anywhere from 1-3 rounds for ea h hand
Straight Volume

Day 2 and 3
Sinister-Timeless
Every 10 Days Lactic Bath last session 3 min sinister 10 min rest 2 min sinister

thinking of shifting to the following to get a small taste of sinister twice a week as to taking a lactic plunge every 10 days

Day 1 and 2
sinister 2 min 40 total reps
rest 5-10 min
20-30 min Axe
4-6 reps per arm

Day 3
40-60 min Axe
4-6 reps per arm

Thoughts?

Been training for sinister over the last 2 years now. Due to vacations and travel for work I feel like i have had to take many step backs during my training. I feel like I am currently close but so far away still. My schedule should allow some consistent training over the next 2 months so really want to dial in my training. I can do 3 Min of the test with the 48KG. I am training 3 days a week:

Current outline-
Day 1
Reps 5-10-15-20-25
anywhere from 32-40 KG
Anywhere from 1-3 rounds for ea h hand
Straight Volume

Day 2 and 3
Sinister-Timeless
Every 10 Days Lactic Bath last session 3 min sinister 10 min rest 2 min sinister

thinking of shifting to the following to get a small taste of sinister twice a week as to taking a lactic plunge every 10 days

Day 1 and 2
sinister 2 min 40 total reps
rest 5-10 min
20-30 min Axe
4-6 reps per arm

Day 3
40-60 min Axe
4-6 reps per arm

Thoughts?
Are all of the swings being done with 48kg?? How about the getups? How are you attacking them?

plan would be 48KG at least twice a week and the longer AXE Day would be adjusted on feel. anywhere from 36-54 KG and 2-6 rep range.
TGUs i do a few at end of each session. When I do the 2-3 min of sinister I always follow up with a TGU in each hand OTM.

Yes I have completed a timed 40kg test. Probably about 4 months ago.
Ok so apart from Pavel Macek'a approach, also ensure you are working on your other gaps..

Periodically do snatches, lighter multiple rep getups... A wider general strength and base as you prepare for sinister will help you stay injury free

Ok so apart from Pavel Macek'a approach, also ensure you are working on your other gaps..

Periodically do snatches, lighter multiple rep getups... A wider general strength and base as you prepare for sinister will help you stay injury free
Ok Good to know. I travel for work a good amount so I often will do snatches due to only lighter bells being available. Also easy to cut all of that out when hyper focused on a specific task. Thanks for pointing that out as I have not been doing enough of those things.

I finally cracked the 20 minute barrier on my Sinister…I had plateaued at around 22 minutes. I’m 5’9” 180lbs 50 years old. My first Timeless Sinister was 31 December last year. Took me 42 minutes. About 2 mos ago I took the speed metal course on line featuring instructor Derek Toshner. It is an awesome program. So I backed of Sinister training w/beast to once a week. I started working snatches hoping to fill gaps and help my Sinister quest. I then got Kettlebell AXE and started implementing that. I quickly moved to being able to swing the Beast two hands 6 reps in 10 seconds then resting to start on the minute. Last week I was able to complete 40 rounds keeping with all of the “stop signs” I also read Q&D and started that regimen doing 4 rounds 10/2 snatching the 24kg KB. I really think adding the AXE and Q&D has really helped my training. My plan is to whittle away shortening my rests on swings and getups to hopefully get there over the winter. Today my 10 swings took ~16 sec and I rested 25 seconds allowing me to finish the swings in 6:25. My problem has been being too gassed to start the getups w/1 min rest. I have completed the swings in 5 minutes before multiple times but am always worthless after that having to recover fully to feel safe attempting the getups. I really feel AXE training has really helped break my plateau. Today I felt great at 1:35 sec rest before starting the getups. I allotted 30 sec per getup with 45 sec rest between and finished the getups in 11:45. Finished strong feeling I actually had a couple in the bank. Again, really think adding AXE has helped a lot. Here’s my new plan:

Monday: SINISTER DAY 16sec for swings lowering rest interval by 1-2 sec per week, rest 1:30, 30sec for getups lowering rest 2 seconds until on the minute. Next goal 19:05. 1 sec reduction in both swing and get up rest should be about 18-20 seconds improvement. Will experiment with what seems to work.

Tuesday: Q&D w/snatches using die to determine sets and volume

Wednesday: walking 18 holes of golf ~6 - 7 miles

Thursday: AXE 32-40kg alternating hands on swings 30-40 rounds adjusting weight and volume to how I feel.

Friday: HEAVY AXE w/Beast normal swings 6 reps in 10 sec start on the minute 30-40 rounds

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Rest

Several weeks now of adding snatches and AXE and Q&D training has definitely helped me improve. Previous best was 21:39 for Sinister so a 1:54 improvement was so satisfying to achieve. Hopefully I can stay healthy and on track. So glad I found StrongFirst and kettlebells. It’s been a fun and rewarding journey!

While Simple, Strong and Sinister are totally different, the thing that helped me the most when pushing to hit simple was to do heavy A&A work (AXE) OTM for 20-40 minutes. I would run an ABA, BAB cycle of A Days= 10 reps at X weight, B Days= 5 reps at heavier than X weight. It worked really well for me as far as swings. I won't lie, TGU's are not my friend. But swing wise heavy swings on the minute really worked for me.

While Simple, Strong and Sinister are totally different, the thing that helped me the most when pushing to hit simple was to do heavy A&A work (AXE) OTM for 20-40 minutes. I would run an ABA, BAB cycle of A Days= 10 reps at X weight, B Days= 5 reps at heavier than X weight. It worked really well for me as far as swings. I won't lie, TGU's are not my friend. But swing wise heavy swings on the minute really worked for me.
Thanks for the insight. After my Sinister PR on Monday, Tuesday I did a Q&D with 32kg KB 10/2 for 3 rounds with normal swings. Rested on Wednesday. Went skiing yesterday for the first time this year. Went all day pretty hard. Amazed at how good I felt...the WTHE was definitely alive and well! Today I did 40 rounds of AXE...first 10 w/24kg, second 10 w/32kg, third 10 w/40kg and final 10 with the Beast...I absolutely love AXE training. I wish I had known about it when I was younger...so many amazing benefits and mentally it is so nice to not feel beat down.

Thanks for the insight. After my Sinister PR on Monday, Tuesday I did a Q&D with 32kg KB 10/2 for 3 rounds with normal swings. Rested on Wednesday. Went skiing yesterday for the first time this year. Went all day pretty hard. Amazed at how good I felt...the WTHE was definitely alive and well! Today I did 40 rounds of AXE...first 10 w/24kg, second 10 w/32kg, third 10 w/40kg and final 10 with the Beast...I absolutely love AXE training. I wish I had known about it when I was younger...so many amazing benefits and mentally it is so nice to not feel beat down.
AXE/A&A will help you a ton to hitting your Sinister goal. I was stuck on hitting Strong for months and when I switched to A/B/A and B/A/B (A S&S, B A&A) my power and endurance went off the charts.

I finally cracked the 20 minute barrier on my Sinister…I had plateaued at around 22 minutes. I’m 5’9” 180lbs 50 years old. My first Timeless Sinister was 31 December last year. Took me 42 minutes. About 2 mos ago I took the speed metal course on line featuring instructor Derek Toshner. It is an awesome program. So I backed of Sinister training w/beast to once a week. I started working snatches hoping to fill gaps and help my Sinister quest. I then got Kettlebell AXE and started implementing that. I quickly moved to being able to swing the Beast two hands 6 reps in 10 seconds then resting to start on the minute. Last week I was able to complete 40 rounds keeping with all of the “stop signs” I also read Q&D and started that regimen doing 4 rounds 10/2 snatching the 24kg KB. I really think adding the AXE and Q&D has really helped my training. My plan is to whittle away shortening my rests on swings and getups to hopefully get there over the winter. Today my 10 swings took ~16 sec and I rested 25 seconds allowing me to finish the swings in 6:25. My problem has been being too gassed to start the getups w/1 min rest. I have completed the swings in 5 minutes before multiple times but am always worthless after that having to recover fully to feel safe attempting the getups. I really feel AXE training has really helped break my plateau. Today I felt great at 1:35 sec rest before starting the getups. I allotted 30 sec per getup with 45 sec rest between and finished the getups in 11:45. Finished strong feeling I actually had a couple in the bank. Again, really think adding AXE has helped a lot. Here’s my new plan:

Monday: SINISTER DAY 16sec for swings lowering rest interval by 1-2 sec per week, rest 1:30, 30sec for getups lowering rest 2 seconds until on the minute. Next goal 19:05. 1 sec reduction in both swing and get up rest should be about 18-20 seconds improvement. Will experiment with what seems to work.

Tuesday: Q&D w/snatches using die to determine sets and volume

Wednesday: walking 18 holes of golf ~6 - 7 miles

Thursday: AXE 32-40kg alternating hands on swings 30-40 rounds adjusting weight and volume to how I feel.

Friday: HEAVY AXE w/Beast normal swings 6 reps in 10 sec start on the minute 30-40 rounds

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Rest

Several weeks now of adding snatches and AXE and Q&D training has definitely helped me improve. Previous best was 21:39 for Sinister so a 1:54 improvement was so satisfying to achieve. Hopefully I can stay healthy and on track. So glad I found StrongFirst and kettlebells. It’s been a fun and rewarding journey!
Seems to be working. New record of 18:58 a couple days ago. Did a Q&D 5 sets w/Beast 10/2 today. After a AXE w/Beast 2 hands for 40 rounds. 2 days ago. Good start to the new year!

Seems to be working. New record of 18:58 a couple days ago. Did a Q&D 5 sets w/Beast 10/2 today. After a AXE w/Beast 2 hands for 40 rounds. 2 days ago. Good start to the new year!
Amazing progress, keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom