all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Some questions for the ruckers...

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have zero experience in Go-Ruck gear, but a halfways decent climbing / mountaineering pack would set you back way more than that. (Without a 'plate')

I stay aerobic with my rucking honestly. I'd go heavy only occassionally, like if I was peaking for an event or something along those lines. Day to day, stay aerobic, and on or about 35-45 lbs for the average male.

I ruck when preparing for alpine climbing trips. I base the load on what I will be carrying in the mountains, or no more than 5% more. An overnight trip with all gear would weigh in at approximately 9-10kg. So in that example I wouldn't exceed 11kg total pack weight for rucking purposes.

Does anyone own Go Ruck gear? Is it worth the money? If I did the math right, I'd have over $200 in a rucksack and a plate.

GoRuck is good stuff. I found a legit GoRuck pack for like $10 at a Goodwill in Bremerton, Washington and I didnt buy it because it ultimately didn't suit my needs.

Would I buy a Goruck? maybe if I could get it off Craigslist for 20%-50% of the price for a new one.

Basically, Goruck is military grade materials ( 1000D nylon cordura, YKK zippers, double stitching, replaceable shoulder straps) in a pack meant to be sold to a civilian market. They are good packs though, and their plates are pretty cool in that they have grab handles.

However.. you'd be much better off simply using a military surplus US assault pack, either an FILBE (best), ILBE (worst), or MOLLE 2 (my fav, big zippers, odd shape).

Or a jansport book bag if you are only loading that thing up to 15-20 lbs. Jansport (specifically, not just any school book bag) is tough as nails. A modern jansport made in the last 20 years will be made of 600D Polyester, which is tough enough, and has YKK zippers. I've abused my little jansport more than any other pack I have ever owned, and it still is basically good as the day I bought it from a thrift store for $4. Its been thrown off on and off ambulances, stuffed to the brim, I've camped with it as my main pack, its been in freezing weather, 100 degree sun. Its the little pack that could. I probably won't even take advantage of the lifetime warranty when the pack finally dies, but pre-COVID, you could send your jansport in to their warranty center and they just send you a new one back in the mail no ? asked

At this point in time, with unemployment the way it is, as I type this there are still people burning down cities across the nation, it's a good time to suck it up and just use what you've got. You'll find better stuff along the way, and when you are not in a hurry to get new stuff, you can get the best deals.

I would NOT recommend a big "tube" hiking pack with an internal frame under any circumstances. Sure, they have a bunch of silly technology to help bear the load, but they are also fragile as a glass bottle, and the way they put the old on your hips always rubs me the wrong way. I'm an external frame guy, a frameless rucksack guy (think a czech m60, or a USSR veshmeshok, alice with no frame, etc. ) or an assault pack guy. Most internal frame hiking packs are meant for a few days or a few weeks on a trail, they are planned obsolescence.

Osprey is comfortable, but fragile, and (imo) garbage for that price. Those packs are meant to sell, not to be used.

Arc'teryx RULES - they were given the contract to design the ILBE gear for the US Marines. a lot of those vintage The North Face packs are tough. You can find both on craigslist pretty regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tricky question, but for what it's worth,
* Seems very well built and they stand pretty solidly behind their gear.
* Purpose built for rucking - easy to throw a plate in a go - no loading of random stuff to get to a weight req'd.
* Because of above, the weight sits well on your body - almost approaches a vest - less likely you get tweaks from constantly fighting a poorly
distributed load on your back. That's a big plus.
* Relatively muted design - not a "tacticool" look and not dripping with molle so you can use it in your regular life
* They do offer a pretty decent military (and ex-mil) discount.

I use the rucker with a 20 or 30 lb plate, add water and your probably in the low 40's. Real hikes I do with a relatively lightweight Osprey (10 to 20lbs all-in) that has lap-belt and all the other gucci accessories. Personally I like having a pack for each of the two different purposes.

GoRuck is good stuff. I found a legit GoRuck pack for like $10 at a Goodwill in Bremerton, Washington and I didnt buy it because it ultimately didn't suit my needs.

Would I buy a Goruck? maybe if I could get it off Craigslist for 20%-50% of the price for a new one.

Basically, Goruck is military grade materials ( 1000D nylon cordura, YKK zippers, double stitching, replaceable shoulder straps) in a pack meant to be sold to a civilian market. They are good packs though, and their plates are pretty cool in that they have grab handles.

However.. you'd be much better off simply using a military surplus US assault pack, either an FILBE (best), ILBE (worst), or MOLLE 2 (my fav, big zippers, odd shape).

Or a jansport book bag if you are only loading that thing up to 15-20 lbs. Jansport (specifically, not just any school book bag) is tough as nails. A modern jansport made in the last 20 years will be made of 600D Polyester, which is tough enough, and has YKK zippers. I've abused my little jansport more than any other pack I have ever owned, and it still is basically good as the day I bought it from a thrift store for $4. Its been thrown off on and off ambulances, stuffed to the brim, I've camped with it as my main pack, its been in freezing weather, 100 degree sun. Its the little pack that could. I probably won't even take advantage of the lifetime warranty when the pack finally dies, but pre-COVID, you could send your jansport in to their warranty center and they just send you a new one back in the mail no ? asked

At this point in time, with unemployment the way it is, as I type this there are still people burning down cities across the nation, it's a good time to suck it up and just use what you've got. You'll find better stuff along the way, and when you are not in a hurry to get new stuff, you can get the best deals.

I would NOT recommend a big "tube" hiking pack with an internal frame under any circumstances. Sure, they have a bunch of silly technology to help bear the load, but they are also fragile as a glass bottle, and the way they put the old on your hips always rubs me the wrong way. I'm an external frame guy, a frameless rucksack guy (think a czech m60, or a USSR veshmeshok, alice with no frame, etc. ) or an assault pack guy. Most internal frame hiking packs are meant for a few days or a few weeks on a trail, they are planned obsolescence.

Osprey is comfortable, but fragile, and (imo) garbage for that price. Those packs are meant to sell, not to be used.

Arc'teryx RULES - they were given the contract to design the ILBE gear for the US Marines. a lot of those vintage The North Face packs are tough. You can find both on craigslist pretty regularly.

Jak...
It's important to note that the big name pack manufacturers make a wide range of packs. Ranging from inexpensive to very expensive. Most follow the good / better / best model. Also some very expensive packs are indeed fragile, and not intended to carry heavy loads. Some packs (including Arc'teryx) are not much more than a very expensive kitchen garbage bag with straps and a hip belt. Definitely not suitable for heavy rucking; but excellent for moving fast and light in the mountains. That being said Arc'teryx also make some bulletproof packs as well. I have one that I have travelled the world climbing with for over two decades. (I also got one stolen in Bolivia, and one stolen in Toronto) These days I favour Black Diamond and Patagonia for lightweight reasonably tough pack products. (As an aside one of my climbing partners is friends with the Arc'teryx founder)

Additionally just because something is 'military grade' doesn't mean it's any good...
I realize things are different a bit in this day and age, and I may be out of touch, but when I was in, our gear was crap.

I use an old ALICE pack that I bought at an Army surplus store in Fort Benning, GA ten years ago for any rucking that exceeds 45 lbs.

Don't bother with that expensive GoRuck crap.

If you're just going to be using it for primarily exercise purposes get a medium ALICE. Throw the stock straps and kidney pad in the garbage and replace both with Tactical Tailor replacements. I found I would lose all feeling in my arms after 6-8 miles with the stock straps. The Tactical Tailor straps cured that. . Medium ALICE packs have an internal pouch against the frame that is just about right for a few weight plates.

I was issued a medium ALICE in 2013 and used it for 6 years. Carried loads up to 80lbs and covered close to 2,000 miles of rucking in that timeframe. It accompanied me on 30+ static line jumps out of an airplane and 3 deployments. When I went to turn it in at the end of my service I realized one or two rivets had popped loose. After all that that was the only thing wrong with it.

If you want to get super fancy down the road TT makes all welded ALICE frames that are superior to the original article. I have a large version given to us for T&E purposes that followed me home.

Last edited:
@Wes P, is this the pack you're referring to:

Thanks.

-S-

Thats the Rothco Brand pack, which is basically Chinese manufacturing of US military designs. I find it strange that the Rothco stuff, being inferior in every way, costs more than buying a used Genuine Issue ALICE.

I'm glad the ALICE is getting the attention it deserves here though, I LOVE my ALICE.

Does anyone own Go Ruck gear? Is it worth the money? If I did the math right, I'd have over $200 in a rucksack and a plate.

I own two GORUCK bags (a GR Echo 16L from 2014 and a GR1 21L from 2016) that I primarily purchased as an add-on to the events I participated in. They're definitely durable, and user-friendly. They don't look too conspicuous, and are perfect for airline carry-on. For rucking though, not my favorite. I'd consider it overpriced, especially if you're primarily using it for rucking. And because it's more of a casual ruck, it doesn't have a frame, which is a big issue for me. Being 5'2, rucking was one of my biggest challenges when I was in the Army. SI MOLLE rucks, though comfortable at first, had frames that were too wide, and straps all over the place. I still preferred my medium vanilla ALICE pack--stable, secure, and held up to 130 lbs. I got it in 2009 from a surplus store, and the only thing I've managed to break was the rivet by the kidney pad.

Thats the Rothco Brand pack, which is basically Chinese manufacturing of US military designs. I find it strange that the Rothco stuff, being inferior in every way, costs more than buying a used Genuine Issue ALICE.

I'm glad the ALICE is getting the attention it deserves here though, I LOVE my ALICE.
Glad I asked. I will look into a used one - what I linked to was what a Google search found me ....

-S-

I own two GORUCK bags (a GR Echo 16L from 2014 and a GR1 21L from 2016) that I primarily purchased as an add-on to the events I participated in. They're definitely durable, and user-friendly. They don't look too conspicuous, and are perfect for airline carry-on. For rucking though, not my favorite. I'd consider it overpriced, especially if you're primarily using it for rucking. And because it's more of a casual ruck, it doesn't have a frame, which is a big issue for me. Being 5'2, rucking was one of my biggest challenges when I was in the Army. SI MOLLE rucks, though comfortable at first, had frames that were too wide, and straps all over the place. I still preferred my medium vanilla ALICE pack--stable, secure, and held up to 130 lbs. I got it in 2009 from a surplus store, and the only thing I've managed to break was the rivet by the kidney pad.

Those rivets can be repaired easily with some cheap screws from Home Depot/Hardware Store, basically making that frame last forever.. apologies if you already knew this, its probably common knowledge for those who served using an ALICE

Glad I asked. I will look into a used one - what I linked to was what a Google search found me ....

-S-

I would try a local surplus store, People are charging a small fortune for the complete US ALICE set online. YMMV.

If you go into the store.. get the

1. medium ALICE ruckstack,
2. the standard issue frame,
3, a kidney belt
4. ALICE straps. That's the set.

You can buy the MOLLE 2 straps ($10) and hip belt ($15), they will fit on the ALICE and are better options than the stock kidney pad and ALICE straps..

Tactical Tailor makes really cool, ergonomic stuff for ALICE packs but the price reflects that.

The ALICE has the benefit of being a truly modular packing system...

Those rivets can be repaired easily with some cheap screws from Home Depot/Hardware Store, basically making that frame last forever.. apologies if you already knew this, its probably common knowledge for those who served using an ALICE
I did all my time with a MOLLE. the ALICE was for my weekend rucks. I was actually thinking about this, but haven't gotten around to actually doing it. The super glue still holds up. Haha

I would try a local surplus store, People are charging a small fortune for the complete US ALICE set online. YMMV.
Right? Total ripoff. If you know anyone in Fayetteville, they could get a really nice, brand-new one for $60 off-base.

You can buy the MOLLE 2 straps ($10) and hip belt ($15), they will fit on the ALICE and are better options than the stock kidney pad and ALICE straps..
This I'll have to try as well. I've never done any mods with any of my rucks.

I did all my time with a MOLLE. the ALICE was for my weekend rucks. I was actually thinking about this, but haven't gotten around to actually doing it. The super glue still holds up. Haha

Right? Total ripoff. If you know anyone in Fayetteville, they could get a really nice, brand-new one for $60 off-base.

This I'll have to try as well. I've never done any mods with any of my rucks.

Most people include the MOLLE 2 Woodland MSS sleep system carrier too. I think that's what its called, I'm sure you know what I'm taking about

I'm finding only the Rothco - people don't say it's that but when you ask, they tell you.

I'd appreciate links to places that actually have these. I'm not finding anything local, either. (And the suggested straps, too.)

-S-

I'm finding only the Rothco - people don't say it's that but when you ask, they tell you.

I'd appreciate links to places that actually have these. I'm not finding anything local, either. (And the suggested straps, too.)

-S-

did you try craigslist? type in "ACU", "ALICE", "Military surplus" "rucksack". people list them under weird names, but craigslist is going to be cheaper than anywhere else, and usually has ALICE packs .

if you still Live in Jersey, you should def. be able to find a store around you selling the individual pieces of the system.

Alice gear has the manufacturer details printed on the back. It will say somethhing like "Field Pack, Nylon, LC-2".. big US on the front.

I tried looking online for some options for you.. sadly they are all double the price that they should be.. ALICE gear should not be expensive to procure.

to give you an idea.. I paid $30 for the frame, $15 for hip belt, straps included on a unissed rucksack that cost $50 .. and I sort of overpaid, but not by today's standards.

did you try craigslist? type in "ACU", "ALICE", "Military surplus" "rucksack". people list them under weird names, but craigslist is going to be cheaper than anywhere else, and usually has ALICE packs .

if you still Live in Jersey, you should def. be able to find a store around you selling the individual pieces of the system.

Alice gear has the manufacturer details printed on the back. It will say somethhing like "Field Pack, Nylon, LC-2".. big US on the front.

I tried looking online for some options for you.. sadly they are all double the price that they should be.. ALICE gear should not be expensive to procure.
I’m batting 1000 so far, not even finding an expensive one, but I’ll keep looking. Zilch in CLASS, ditto FB Marketplace.

Still livin’ and lovin’ in Joisey.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom