all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Spreading out swing sets during the day

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TedM

Level 6 Valued Member
Posting for my son, a busy young father who doesn't have time to get in a full session of swings in one shot.

At work, he's now started to do a set of 10 and then another 10 five or ten minutes later. 5 times a day, whenever he gets a break.

He just started doing this regularly the past week, so no "data" yet.

I thought I'd just toss this description of his situation out to the forum- and see if there are any comments/observations/etc.

I would agree for the grinds.
For the swing - I am not sure that it's the best approach. I think that conditioning component will be lost. Even with the talk test, there is still conditioning.
But than again, I am just an average Joe. Let's hear the coaches.

I would agree for the grinds.
For the swing - I am not sure that it's the best approach. I think that conditioning component will be lost. Even with the talk test, there is still conditioning.
But than again, I am just an average Joe. Let's hear the coaches.
It depends what you want from swing. If its for conditioning its not the best Way no, but if you cant do it other Way, its better than nothing.

If on the other hand its to get better at swings, i Think it would work fine.

During the school year (I'm a teacher) I do a lot of my training in mini-sessions throughout the work day during breaks in my office. I can often accumulate quite a bit of volume over the course of a day or week without it getting in the way of my work schedule and without ever breaking a sweat. It's a great way to train if it fits into your circumstances.

My mini-sessions are either part of a structured program, or at least a structured daily plan (e.g., "I'm going to do sets of 3, 5, and 7 double front squats today). For instance, I might be doing a structured program for C&P and doing Q&D for ballistics. So I'll just spread out my total sets or total time for the C&P program on days when I do that, and I'll do Q&D in blocks of 1-4 series at a time (I will sometimes do more than 5 total series, occasionally substantially more, in the course of a day).I just think of the short sessions as "spreading out the work" (SOTW®©), and it can apply to many types of programs, although not necessarily with exactly the same effects as doing the programs in a longer continuous session.

Two dimensions that this kind of training is missing are sustained repeated efforts and low intensity sustained cardio. So that's what I usually do on weekends. For instance, I might do some combination of Nordic walking or the NordicTrack skier, Q&D snatches with 015 timing (10 x 10 starting a set every 3:00), and clubbell swinging. Those aren't the only possibilities, but just some examples that don't lend themselves to mini-sessions during the week.

I'm at a point where logistics and maintaining continuity of the training process trump all. Once I'm done with my work day, I'm pretty mentally and emotionally spent, and if I don't get my training in during the day somehow, I'm probably not going to do it afterward, although I might throw in a few sets of something I don't have the equipment for in my office, such as ring pullups or dips.

"Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are" (attributed to Theodore Roosevelt, but he himself attributed it a Bill Widener of Widener’s Valley, Virginia).

Last edited:
Posting for my son, a busy young father who doesn't have time to get in a full session of swings in one shot.

At work, he's now started to do a set of 10 and then another 10 five or ten minutes later. 5 times a day, whenever he gets a break.

I thought I'd just toss this description of his situation out to the forum- and see if there are any comments/observations/etc.
I could almost call this my origin story.

spacing out your sets will increase strength and doesn't touch on conditioning one bit.

It helped me increase my strength a great deal.

What is his goal?

Unfortunately it sounds like goals are not what he can focus on right now... your son is trying to make the most of what training time he has available to him. Right now I would say the most important thing he can do (which should always be the case) is focus on quality over quantity. If he can only get 10 swings in at a clip, try to make them the most powerful swings he can muster... great hike, powerful stomp through the floor, super tight plank at the top with the float the bell, and powerful breathing. Don't think 10 reps, think "one rep, 10 times". When he gets more time other objectives can be thought about and achieved!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom