all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sprinting progressions in middle age

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
To the OP and everyone else, the earlier post of a 6 week prep is perhaps misleading as it is what follows....max velocity blocks in the last 6 weeks. So one early session looks like this 2x30, 1x40 to latter weeks, 1x30, 1x40, 1x60 and then 1x40, 2x60....about 180m at peak. Compare to 600m during 6th week. So you can see how volume is slashed when intensity is at or near max. Quite an important point, especially for us master types.
Sandwiched between those 2 blocks is acceleration/flys to further build into top speed. It is here hill sprints could be utilised but balanced against your form and needs. And if you've not got good form mileage, your time will be better spent being aggressive in the drive phase rather than changing mechanics. But, hey, maybe not. Maybe hill sprints are the thing here. Some eyes on you will help make that decision.
Nothing is dogmatic in sprinting, the real test is your time. If a system works, it works. Tweak it to make it better and tweak it again.

I feel stair-running is completely safe. I have done it for years. In cold weather and warm weather. Never warming up. Never had a single accident. Never felt any pain. I am 38.

I feel stair-running is completely safe. I have done it for years. In cold weather and warm weather. Never warming up. Never had a single accident. Never felt any pain. I am 38.
+1
I like sprinting up stairs two at a time - seems a different thing than sprinting up a hill.

-S-

Came across this article today, about getting back into sprinting as adults/middle-aged.

Great find. Thanks. Just published this week too. I like the point about being ready for disasters or emergencies given the news these days. I think of loaded carries and rucking the same way. Some good warmup tips such as ankle jumps.

Came across this article today, about getting back into sprinting as adults/middle-aged.

"95% of adults over 30 will never sprint again"

Dang that is a depressing stat. But I think I'm understanding all the hill sprint hate in this thread. If you haven't done it in 10 years, you are probably going to Kevin Hart yourself.

"95% of adults over 30 will never sprint again"

Dang that is a depressing stat. But I think I'm understanding all the hill sprint hate in this thread. If you haven't done it in 10 years, you are probably going to Kevin Hart yourself.
Hart blew a wheel ?

Last edited:
He put himself into a wheelchair sprinting.

(not permanently or anything)
I looked this up after you mentioned it. So, he challenged a real athlete to a race and blew out some hammies (or whatever)? What an ego on that guy - apparently when you're a sellout for sports betting you suddenly think you're an athlete...

Back
Top Bottom