all posts post new thread

Noah Marek's Training log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
8-7-17
ROP light day
1A press 4x1 w/ 32kg
Snatches 6 minutes- 5/5 emom w/ 24kg. 60 snatches total.
I have been enjoying doing higher rep sets with a lower weight in ROP.

"Low rep grinds + high rep quick lifts= RKC proven formula"

^^ I really like this formula. Simple, fun, and effective!

Last edited:
8-9-17
ROP medium day
4x1,2 presses w/ 32kg + swings

8-10-17
ROP heavy day- Had to move my heavy day up two days since I was leaving for camping that day
4x1,2,3 presses w/ 32kg +swings

8-13-17
Some bent presses, get ups, gripper work, and mobility

8-14-17
A+A snatches in the morning! 14x5 reps w/ 24kg (70 snatches total) 19min 41s
-Felt awesome! I am more or less going by feel lately. I am doing ROP presses, but I want to experiment more with A+A swings and snatches and easy strength work. I will keep the additional overhead volume in check though becuase I do not want it to negatively affect my pressing.

afternoon- ROP presses along with"easy strength" work including straight arm pull overs, high bar squats with a pause at the bottom, and straight leg deadlifts

After hearing @Pavel Macek recommend Super Strength by Calvert on Instagram, I decided to buy it on my kindle. I have been rapidly reading and digesting it and am already incorporating a few of the movements as easy strength/ assistance work. I am loving the book! So much phenomenal information in it. Thank you for the recommendation, Pavel!

8-16-17
ROP medium day
bent press practice w/ 24kg
Press 5x1,2 w/ 32kg
-presses were not easy at all, probably due to heavy get ups and bent presses yesterday lol
Pistols squats- bwx3, 16kgx1, 24kgx1, 16kgx2, bwx3
-I hardly train pistols but they always seem to stay in decent condition. My leg strength seems to maintain well from years of squatting. I think I will try to do pistols 1-2 times a week like this. I think I can improve on them this way and since my lower body volume is low, my legs don't get sore. Win!

8-17-17
Was going to do A+A swings today but was sore from the last few days and knew it would be better to just listen to my body and rest. Good choice! I have been reading about strongman a lot the last few days and have been training too aggressively lol.

8-18-17
A+A swings with 32kg and 40kg- 100 swings total in around 23 minutes

8-19-17
A+A swing with 48kg- all are 2H except for the ones noted- 7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7L,7R,7 -70 swings total in about 15 minutes
Swung the beast with one arm today for one set each side. They were better than expected but not nearly as explosive as they ideally would be. Grip strength is clearly limiting factor. Felt good though! Also, I love heavy 2H swings! 1H swings seem to get most of the love but I am appreciating 2H swings more and more. They seem to work my whole body better since I don't have to worry about my grip.

Instagram post by Noah Marek • Aug 19, 2017 at 6:04pm UTC

ROP press heavy day- 32kg 5x1,2,3
-tough but solid

IMG_8539.jpg 8-21-17
Mobility work
A+A snatches w/ 24kg 14x5 (7 sets per arm) in 15:25 (70 snatches total)
ROP light day w/ 32kg 5x1
Hack squats w/ 16kg 2x5
Push ups 2x10
This felt awesome. Attentive focus on every rep. Long rests between every set. Strong work. I am enjoying my narrow focus on swings (along with some snatch practice) and 1 arm presses. I am adding some low volume assistance work as I see fit and it feels great.

The lesson I keep telling myself over and over: There is no hurry. There is no rush. Strength requires patience and focus.

8-22-17
Nothing like 5 hours of hard manual labor to leave you humbled. I was working an odd job for my dad which consisted primarily of pulling up carpets and padding from a medium sized house today and dragging them down to the garage. I will just say that they were not light, and I was very happy to be done.

Evening run- 2.7 miles (my normal run) in 31 minutes. I can almost always run this one no problem but had to stop and walk multiple times in order to keep it more aerobic and easy. I was fatigued from today's work but am still happy I got the run in.

8-23-17
My hands were a bit beat up so instead of swinging, I did single leg deadlifts.
ROP medium day- 32kg- 5x1,2
Single leg deadlifts- bwx5, 16kg-2x5
Hack squats 16kg- 2x5
Push ups- 2x10

I want to get back to swings and snatches, but I just need to be patience and wait a day or two longer while my hands heal.

Side note: Orientation for physical therapy school is tomorrow! Very excited!

IMG_8553.JPG 8-24-17
S&S swings 10x10 w/ 32kg

8-25-17
Late morning hike up Saddle Mountain. It was an excellent hike, and I really enjoyed it!

ROP heavy press day
32kg- 1x1,2,3,4; 4x1,2,3
Tough as always but felt solid.
Hack squat 2x5 w/ 16kg
Double kb deadlift- 40kg + 48kg 2x5
-I have never really done these before but they felt really, really good. The weight may not be very challenging, but it still feels great to be able to groove my deadlift from home with a somewhat heavy weight. Plus, I just like the feel of them.

8-27-17
S&S swings 10x10 w/ 32kg
Get up- 32kg-1/1, 40kg-1/1

8-28-17
ROP light day
Press- 32kg 5x1,2
Snatch- 3 minutes @50-60% effort
6/6 emom- 36 total

Hands have been beat up for a while. Not going to do any ballistics tomorrow and hopefully they will be solid for the swings on Wednesday.

8-30-17
ROP week 5 medium day
Press- 32kg 5x1,2,3
-For "medium" day, this was quite tough. Still felt solid thought and completed the 30 reps on each side in 25 minutes.
Swings- 32kg, 70-80% effort
8 minutes- 7/7 emom, 112 total swings
Great training session!

How is ROP going?
I am taking some time off from it. I finished week 5 (heavy day was 38 reps per side w/ 32kg) but it was very tough. I decided to do some freestyle training for a couple weeks and am really enjoying it. I am doing lots of swings and snatches during this time.

I am taking some time off from it. I finished week 5 (heavy day was 38 reps per side w/ 32kg) but it was very tough. I decided to do some freestyle training for a couple weeks and am really enjoying it. I am doing lots of swings and snatches during this time.

Doing what you enjoy is the most important thing ever!

Update: I have been really busy the last few weeks with PT school and so I haven't been on the forum much. Anyway, I decided to start free styling my work a bit. ROP had me a bit worn out and bored and honestly I wanted to have some fun with my training. So I have been doing a lot of kettlebell work along with some body weight exercise.

I also completed my 2nd session of VWC yesterday using a 7 rep cadence per 15s with a 16kg. This program has always intrigued me so I finally decided to give it a try.

My first two Viking Warrior Conditioning sessions for context
9-20-17 MVO2 cadence test- achieved 28 reps in the final minute giving me a cadence of 7 reps per 15s. 96 snatches total in 5 minutes.
MVO2 15:15 protocol session 1- 20 sets- 10minutes- 140 snatches w/ 16kg total, stopped early because it was my first session and didn't want to start with too much volume.

9-23-17 28 sets- 14 minutes- 196 16kg snatches, got a blood blister and hand tear that forced me to stop early.

9-25-17 hands weren't fully recovered but used wrist bands around the upper palms a la sock sleeves and they worked great!
Easy strength work- 1 A press- 16kgx6, 24kg 2x5
pull up- bw 1x3, 2x5
pistol- bw 1x3, 2x5
loaded carry 40kg +48kg for 2 short sets

VWC 15:15 protocol- 40 sets- 20 minutes- 280 16kg snatches. This was a A LOT of fun! I am pleasantly surprised that I am doing this well in the program so far. My conditioning is better than I thought I guess! I am having so much fun with my training lately. I could have gone a bit longer but stopped here because I need to acclimate to the volume. No hand issues while wearing wrist bands over palms :)

9-27-17
Easy strength work
Press 2x5 w/ 24kg
Pull up 2x5 bw
Pistol 2x5 bw
Farmer's carry 2x55 w/ fat grips for 2 short walks

9-28-17
1 arm press- decided to work up and try my half body weight press of 40kg. I made it on both sides for a PR! That being said. It was much less strict than I wanted (too much side bend). So I hope to press it much more strictly in the future.
VWC 20 sets w/ 16kg 140 snatches
Took it easy with conditioning after heavy presses

9-30-17
2 hours of basketball outside in the sunshine on a Saturday morning with some classmates. Good times :)

9-30-17
Deadlifts 135lbs x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x2
Bench press 95lbs x10, 135x5, 155x5,5,5
Pull ups 4x8
Snatch 3x10/10 w/ 24kg

10-2-17
Viking Warrior Conditioning 15:15 protocol with 16kg:
50 sets- 350 snatches total in 25 minutes
Good day and a PR!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom