all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Strength Endurance Push Ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@damogari
Basically, this is a method based on 13 levels. The first one is a test level. You test your push ups, pull ups and dips. In function of the results, it gives you a "track" for the 2nd level. This is a full body method.

Each level is supposed to be done X weeks. The "X" is given by the book. The book also gives you the number of session you have to do every week, for every level. On a cruising speed, you train this method 3h a week. This is more when you want to progress. 3h is when you get a level that satisfies you. This is only bodyweight

The more you progress, the more you use a full ROM and slow down the pace. The books gives you "thresholds". Once you get a threshold, you have to either use an harder variation or go to the higher level. Some levels can be considered as "maintenance" ones. It means that once you get it, you can simply stay where you are. You can also keep progressing. When you stall, the book gives you "tips", such as reducing the level, doing a kind of loop, and keep going. For instance, you stall at 7 to go to 8, so you get back to 2 or 3, do everything again (by modifying little things), and theoritically, you get to 8

The main idea is high rep sets. Some levels give you a number of rep, some others are "technical failure" (so never a physical failure). Between each sets, you rest a few (no more than 25s). Between exercises, you can rest a little more. Every rest is give by the book. This is really "plug and play". You simply follow the guidelines because everything is written. Finally, you get Something extremely close to a MAF, like when you swing on S&S.

Moves are: push ups and rows, pull ups / chin ups and dips, squats and variations (standard, jumping, pistol, Coassack), sit ups / hanging leg rises and lats. At the end you do multiple reps of some pretty hard moves: one arm push ups, pistols.

There are also two others "sections": stretching and nutrition. Stretching has always to be done. Nutrition section provides tips in function of the goal (mass gain, mass loss, weight maintenance).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
@305pelusa
I did not know there were a Spanish version of Lafay ! What do you think about it ? Do you try it ? I tried it for a while with pretty good results actually. Then, I switched to a "simpler" version, using one arm push ups, pistols, slow motion pull ups and dips and dragon flag. It works very well.

I'm aware of French, Spanish, Italian and Polish editions. There might be others. It just didn't go into English, there must be a reason that editorial didn't (maybe they didn't want to get in the American market... idk).

I have never tried it, but I do like it. The level of detail in the programming is spectacular. I appreciate that the author gives very rigid guidelines ("after two weeks, change frequency to twice a week, change these two exerciser, continue for 4 weeks"etc). It's clear to me that he didn't just make this stuff up (which is something we see often in calisthenics... GymnasticBodies and CC are examples of programs that authors write based on experience, but they haven't tested before releasing). Whether it works or not, I can't personally tell you. But my impression is that he took the time to test it himself and really tinker it.

Just my 2 cents. It's a little more biased to high reps and easier exercises. Excellent for the general folk trying to get strong, but falls short of those who might be more experienced.

Hello,

@305pelusa
Apparently, I did not follow it for long enough, but some folks who did (when I read French forums) follow it about 2 or 3 years with real dedication had pretty good results, including one arm chins or dips with more than bdw added. Pay off is long

The good thing about this method is that it gives a "significant" amount of strength, but also a quite good conditioning. You do not have to think about anything, just follow the book. However, I admit that it may not build as much strength as S. Low's or C. Sommer's method.

I am currently thinking about adding some variety to my routine, so I am considering adding a calisthenics one. Maybe I'll incorporate 2 sessions a week of Lafay. I'll tell you how it goes ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

had pretty good results, including one arm chins or dips with more than bdw added.
Wait, how? Those moves those aren't in the book from what I recall. It was all bilateral dipping and pullups.
If people were progressing to those movements, it must have been by adapting the method to continue towards those no?

Hello,

@305pelusa
They worked out until impressive high rep sets. Then, related to the dips, they tried to do some max load "just to get a test". Regarding to the OAC, they work on the skill simulaneously to the method. The strength training was the method (for instance, they used high reps, whereas I used heavy load). But I agree, these moves are not included in the method in itself. They are just a kind of "demonstration".

Kind regard,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom